Used 2001 Ford Windstar SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Lots of mileage on this van!
By philwil21

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our ford van has done us great in the past 11 years. Yes it had all the recalls on it but ford fixed each one. The reason we got rid of the van is at 298,000 miles it thrown a rod through the block. It was unexpected with no warning. Only major repair I had to pay for was the intake gaskets leaking and manifold needed replaced. I fixed & maintained the rest except tires. No transmission issues even at 298,000. We feel lucky compared to some other reviewers. Thank you ford

Suggested Improvements

Focus on safety issues, so that recalls don't need to be made.

'01 Windstar SE
By RZ

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it brand new. Various mechanical issues over the years - sliding door lock had to be replaced, fuel sensor fuse had to be replaced three times, power driver seat failed and its electronics had to be replaced. Luckily husband is an engineer and did all this work himself. Check engine and ABS lights go on and off at will for last 10K miles. On the plus side, mileage is great for such a roomy mini-van. At 132K miles now and still get 22+ highway, 18-20 in mixed use. Very comfortable ride, great for hauling kids, friends and equipment. Just started to rust in past 6 months, but still looks ok. Tranny just started to slip occasionally, but overall been a very solid vehicle.

Favorite Features

Quad seats, huge gas tank has been great on long trips (we've gone 550+ miles on a tank of gas).

Suggested Improvements

Seats are very heavy and hard to get in and out.

Loved my van
By Linda Studer

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our van new and it has been an excellent vehicle. The electric doors were a great feature new but after a few years they began to not work all of the time. Last year at 160000 had trouble with the break light, engine light coming on and it has stayed on. I would still be driving today at 209000 miles if I hadn't encountered a deer.

Favorite Features

Seat belt was very comfortable. I wish all vehicles would pay attention to this feature. I also loved the indicator telling me when the pressure in the tires changed.

Cool van but so unreliable
By Mustang Dude

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

we had this van for 8 years , it got us around the east coast of the USA quite well until after 30000 miles, the tranny went, ecu and oxygen sensors multiple times. I'm never buying a FORD again, until they fix these problems i owned a Camry for 16 years and nothing besides the normal wear and tear. Going to stick with Japanese cars for awhile sorry Ford. Except for there mustangs, mostly problem free.

Favorite Features

adjustable pedals, keyless entry on door, independent fog lights and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

transmission, electrical problems and ford service quality there so damn rude.

Back to the imports
By pat McLaughlin

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van with ~ 70,000 miles in 2005. Did well until summer of 08 with 100,00 miles, leaving the Smokie Mts.. Torque Converter gasket blew spewing trany fluid on the poor guy behind me. Must say though that I am still running on same trany, just adding fluid every couple months. But at 85,000 brake sensor lights keep coming on for no apparent reason, the control for switching A.C. to Heat is not working, and oh when my Ford van found out that I was attempting to trade it in today, it decided to start spewing coolant.

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable, drove nice.

Suggested Improvements

If a dealer will not take in trade (in mercy)will enter it into demo derby with great delight! Ford...you have not learned your lesson. Will not buy another Ford as any car should hold up past 100K.