2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Lots of mileage on this van!
By philwil21 on 05/18/12 08:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our ford van has done us great in the past 11 years. Yes it had all the recalls on it but ford fixed each one. The reason we got rid of the van is at 298,000 miles it thrown a rod through the block. It was unexpected with no warning. Only major repair I had to pay for was the intake gaskets leaking and manifold needed replaced. I fixed & maintained the rest except tires. No transmission issues even at 298,000. We feel lucky compared to some other reviewers. Thank you ford

'01 Windstar SE
By RZ on 05/04/10 10:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it brand new. Various mechanical issues over the years - sliding door lock had to be replaced, fuel sensor fuse had to be replaced three times, power driver seat failed and its electronics had to be replaced. Luckily husband is an engineer and did all this work himself. Check engine and ABS lights go on and off at will for last 10K miles. On the plus side, mileage is great for such a roomy mini-van. At 132K miles now and still get 22+ highway, 18-20 in mixed use. Very comfortable ride, great for hauling kids, friends and equipment. Just started to rust in past 6 months, but still looks ok. Tranny just started to slip occasionally, but overall been a very solid vehicle.

Loved my van
By Linda Studer on 11/15/09 18:25 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our van new and it has been an excellent vehicle. The electric doors were a great feature new but after a few years they began to not work all of the time. Last year at 160000 had trouble with the break light, engine light coming on and it has stayed on. I would still be driving today at 209000 miles if I hadn't encountered a deer.

Cool van but so unreliable
By Mustang Dude on 08/17/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

we had this van for 8 years , it got us around the east coast of the USA quite well until after 30000 miles, the tranny went, ecu and oxygen sensors multiple times. I'm never buying a FORD again, until they fix these problems i owned a Camry for 16 years and nothing besides the normal wear and tear. Going to stick with Japanese cars for awhile sorry Ford. Except for there mustangs, mostly problem free.

Back to the imports
By pat McLaughlin on 05/09/09 18:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van with ~ 70,000 miles in 2005. Did well until summer of 08 with 100,00 miles, leaving the Smokie Mts.. Torque Converter gasket blew spewing trany fluid on the poor guy behind me. Must say though that I am still running on same trany, just adding fluid every couple months. But at 85,000 brake sensor lights keep coming on for no apparent reason, the control for switching A.C. to Heat is not working, and oh when my Ford van found out that I was attempting to trade it in today, it decided to start spewing coolant.

Only about average, but still a good buy
By CED on 05/16/08 15:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van used and have had it about a year. No mechanical problems yet, always starts and drives fine. 3.8L V6 has plenty of power, but no sports car. Fuel mileage averages 20 mpg. Easy to drive for its size, controls are easily reached and logically laid out. Seats are average or better for comfort and the rear seats are roomy enough. Its hard to get into the rear seat, no lever that lets seats slide/tilt forward easily. Biggest complaint is noise. The engine is always loud. Ride is smooth enough but terribly loud. Wind noise also a problem. Owned a Sienna before that was much more refine as is typical for Toyota. Overall a good buy if used but otherwise performance is only average

Stay away from this vehicle.
By Grace on 01/03/07 11:11 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Windstar in 2002 with 11,000 miles. We had to replace the transmission at 40,000 miles. We called Ford and they just pretty much told us too bad for you. They were trying out a new transmission and we were one of the unlucky ones. It gets horrible gas mileage and it seems to always be in the shop for the same problem. Next time it will be a Honda or Toyota for us! The Ford wind star is junk.

Lots of problems
By ng on 05/11/06 10:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good van to drive when it works. I've had my Windstar for 60K miles and have experienced all kinds of problems. Recurring problems with the air intake system. The transmission gave out at 60K miles. I was told there are serious design flaws in both the air intake system and transmission. Power rear doors and power locks stick. The power steering pump gave out. Never again!

First Van
By Phillip on 03/26/06 22:15 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Hard to find a van with such great features and an attractive look. We looked for months to catch a great deal and what a deal we got. Bought it 5 years used and still looked brand new. Lots of power and love the easy oil changes compared to my 2001 Ford ZX2 (oil filter almost impossible to remove) that I currently own as well. Have newborn twins and a 3 year old and it fits them all nicely and the strollers and groceries as well. Overall it has impressed this Ford Man!

A Quest For Room!
By evanshill on 10/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

After 2 weeks of grueling searches and comparison shopping..we found the Windstar to be the best value on the resale market. Let's face it, dealerships want a small fortune for someone's used high mile van! But here is semi-luxury combined with simple design. Parent friendly elements paired with style. Mostly it offers separation of our 3 children without feeling we are driving a city bus, yet there is still leg room for the 12 year old! The ride is quiet, the van handles a van.It seems only the husband feels it should handle like a sports car. I have previously owned Caravan and Aerostar (yikes!), I like the caravan for long life durability but am well pleased with my Windstar!