Used 2001 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Worst vehicle I have ever owned!
By FORD, Never again!

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 Windstar, brand new in October of 2001. Since new, this car has been nothing but problems. Major safety issues including the rear axle and front subframe (which are all over the internet), make this vehicle unsafe to drive. I have to say that FORD motor Company SUCKS, since they chose to not fix/replace my rusted and subframe. The metal completely failed and the subframe is ready to collapse! Additional problems include the instrument panel cold soldering failing, the intake manifold gasket failing, the plenum (which is sometimes called the upper intake manifold) isolated bolt gaskets/grommets failed, two alternators, one fuel pump, camshaft position sensor, coil pack, the struts, and the transmission all failed This van is a piece of crap and in my opinion, FORD SUCKS! This is the last FORD I will ever buy.

happy with windstar
By massroor1969

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have ford windstar minivan and I am driving it from 2010 I naiver have any problem with it. I drive it across Canada along with towing UHALL container from Ontario to Saskatoon I really enjoy the comfort drive

2001 ford windstar, the last ford.
By frankencar

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

this is my experience all within 10,000 miles of ownership, bought at 114 k, 3rd owner of van. i am an ASE certified mechanic 24 yrs exp, and done most repairs my self, i will just say this is the worst vehicle i have ever owned,........................ here is a list of the problems i had 1. transmission @ 117k miles 2. dashboard electrical problems 3. anti-lock brake problems 4. power door lock problems 5. power window problems 6. emission system problems 7. Engine Performance and Driveability "idle surge" 8. oil pump went out, engine locked up before i could react @126k now i buy GMC only.

did not run long enough at any one time to tell

save your money and buy something else

Lots of mileage on this van!
By philwil21

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our ford van has done us great in the past 11 years. Yes it had all the recalls on it but ford fixed each one. The reason we got rid of the van is at 298,000 miles it thrown a rod through the block. It was unexpected with no warning. Only major repair I had to pay for was the intake gaskets leaking and manifold needed replaced. I fixed & maintained the rest except tires. No transmission issues even at 298,000. We feel lucky compared to some other reviewers. Thank you ford

Focus on safety issues, so that recalls don't need to be made.

worst car ever owned
By millerw

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle I have ever owned. Electronics all repaired or replaced, replaced transmission, wheel bearings, rotors, complete brake system, air conditioning. Ford recalls 5 in the past three years. No one should ever buy one.

None