2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
2001 ford windstar, the last ford.
By frankencar on 03/12/13 04:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

this is my experience all within 10,000 miles of ownership, bought at 114 k, 3rd owner of van. i am an ASE certified mechanic 24 yrs exp, and done most repairs my self, i will just say this is the worst vehicle i have ever owned,........................ here is a list of the problems i had 1. transmission @ 117k miles 2. dashboard electrical problems 3. anti-lock brake problems 4. power door lock problems 5. power window problems 6. emission system problems 7. Engine Performance and Driveability "idle surge" 8. oil pump went out, engine locked up before i could react @126k now i buy GMC only.

Multiple safety issues outweigh the positives.
By sandypants on 01/21/11 09:01 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

If Ford would just stand by their products and fix the numerous safety issues, this would be a great van.

NO PROBLEM HERE 186 K LATER
By Steve on 08/27/09 20:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Thats right I got almost 186,000 miles on my van.I won't bore you with details but I got maybe about $600 in mechanical maintenance in it.Also Needed the usual stuff (brakes ,oil changes,tires).I can tell you this much, the biggest secret that I learned from my brotherinlaw is change the transmission fluids early .These ford transmissions are delicate, needless to say I have changed the transmission fluid twice and thinking about doing it again(Yup Original Trans).It did need a small map sensor ($60) and a coil pack I think they are about $80.It has yet to get a wheel alignment still drives straight .I drive this car all over united states and I haul heavy car parts with it !

Best non soccer mom van ever!
By Jack on 03/05/07 14:48 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Powerful, nice looking, easy seat removal, holds resale value, 18-24 mpg was right on, tires wear great versus a lot of vans that wear out front tires. Lot of pick up and very comfortable. Radio iffy so replace with aftermarket. Otherwise a 10!

Transmission, O2 sensor, doors, problems
By Mikeeeee on 01/23/07 12:39 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, an attractive, comfortable van. Gas consumption is ok for a van. Some nice options available. Has plenty of power, compared to other small vans.

New Transmission at 36,000!
By Ken on 09/07/06 08:32 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We got this van because of the great safety rating and our growing family. However, it needed a new transmission at 36,000 miles...just after the warranty ran out. The Ford dealership and national Ford office were no help at all. This is the LAST Ford I will ever buy! Even though I'm very patriotic, I'm looking to the Japanese car companies now, as their quality and reliability are so much better. American Car companies need to get with the program and make some quality cars!