Used 2001 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

happy with windstar
By massroor1969

2001 Ford Windstar SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have ford windstar minivan and I am driving it from 2010 I naiver have any problem with it. I drive it across Canada along with towing UHALL container from Ontario to Saskatoon I really enjoy the comfort drive

2001 ford windstar, the last ford.
By frankencar

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

this is my experience all within 10,000 miles of ownership, bought at 114 k, 3rd owner of van. i am an ASE certified mechanic 24 yrs exp, and done most repairs my self, i will just say this is the worst vehicle i have ever owned,........................ here is a list of the problems i had 1. transmission @ 117k miles 2. dashboard electrical problems 3. anti-lock brake problems 4. power door lock problems 5. power window problems 6. emission system problems 7. Engine Performance and Driveability "idle surge" 8. oil pump went out, engine locked up before i could react @126k now i buy GMC only.

did not run long enough at any one time to tell

save your money and buy something else

Lots of mileage on this van!
By philwil21

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our ford van has done us great in the past 11 years. Yes it had all the recalls on it but ford fixed each one. The reason we got rid of the van is at 298,000 miles it thrown a rod through the block. It was unexpected with no warning. Only major repair I had to pay for was the intake gaskets leaking and manifold needed replaced. I fixed & maintained the rest except tires. No transmission issues even at 298,000. We feel lucky compared to some other reviewers. Thank you ford

Focus on safety issues, so that recalls don't need to be made.

worst car ever owned
By millerw

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle I have ever owned. Electronics all repaired or replaced, replaced transmission, wheel bearings, rotors, complete brake system, air conditioning. Ford recalls 5 in the past three years. No one should ever buy one.

None

Junk it!

Love my windstar~hate poor engineering on recent recalls~ford is handling this wrong
By teh1223

2001 Ford Windstar SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our windstar in 2002 with 14,000 miles 2nd owner. I love my minivan. It is comfortable and gets good gas mileage. works well weather I am hauling people or cargo. has 165,000 on it but in new transmission at 154,000. no other no big problems just small stuff. But now with the rear axle and the front sub frame rust problems just don't know. Ford says it is safe to drive. fix will be months. Husband who is machinist and brother mechanic says the motor mount on pass side is split. We had planned to keep this van for a couple of more years. But husband says it is gone. I have always had a ford and now it looks like I am getting a Chrysler. Yuck! Freestar is the same chasis.

reliability, comfort and space, handles well in snow and rain. quad seating great. dual ac/heat controls. Engine is strong and reliable. well maintained could easily do 200,000 on engine.

recent recall & the way ford has handled the problem. Rear axle &front subframe can't handle the salt and are rusting. design that allows the a/c water to run down on the passenger side frame in front wasn't great design. The transmission is notorious for going out around 80-100,000 miles. We watched ours and made 154k when it slipped. most people don't get that lucky. Ford should be buying me out or finding a way to fix this that replaces our problem and they should stand behind the fix more than 12 months or 12,000 miles? This says they don't think they have fixed it yet. I should have got new axle not a brace. They still aren't sure on the front and parts are months from coming.