2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
happy with windstar
By massroor1969 on 10/19/13 21:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have ford windstar minivan and I am driving it from 2010 I naiver have any problem with it. I drive it across Canada along with towing UHALL container from Ontario to Saskatoon I really enjoy the comfort drive

2001 ford windstar, the last ford.
By frankencar on 03/12/13 04:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

this is my experience all within 10,000 miles of ownership, bought at 114 k, 3rd owner of van. i am an ASE certified mechanic 24 yrs exp, and done most repairs my self, i will just say this is the worst vehicle i have ever owned,........................ here is a list of the problems i had 1. transmission @ 117k miles 2. dashboard electrical problems 3. anti-lock brake problems 4. power door lock problems 5. power window problems 6. emission system problems 7. Engine Performance and Driveability "idle surge" 8. oil pump went out, engine locked up before i could react @126k now i buy GMC only.

Lots of mileage on this van!
By philwil21 on 05/18/12 08:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our ford van has done us great in the past 11 years. Yes it had all the recalls on it but ford fixed each one. The reason we got rid of the van is at 298,000 miles it thrown a rod through the block. It was unexpected with no warning. Only major repair I had to pay for was the intake gaskets leaking and manifold needed replaced. I fixed & maintained the rest except tires. No transmission issues even at 298,000. We feel lucky compared to some other reviewers. Thank you ford

worst car ever owned
By millerw on 10/01/11 19:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle I have ever owned. Electronics all repaired or replaced, replaced transmission, wheel bearings, rotors, complete brake system, air conditioning. Ford recalls 5 in the past three years. No one should ever buy one.

Love my windstar~hate poor engineering on recent recalls~ford is handling this wrong
By teh1223 on 04/10/11 20:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our windstar in 2002 with 14,000 miles 2nd owner. I love my minivan. It is comfortable and gets good gas mileage. works well weather I am hauling people or cargo. has 165,000 on it but in new transmission at 154,000. no other no big problems just small stuff. But now with the rear axle and the front sub frame rust problems just don't know. Ford says it is safe to drive. fix will be months. Husband who is machinist and brother mechanic says the motor mount on pass side is split. We had planned to keep this van for a couple of more years. But husband says it is gone. I have always had a ford and now it looks like I am getting a Chrysler. Yuck! Freestar is the same chasis.

Multiple safety issues outweigh the positives.
By sandypants on 01/21/11 09:01 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

If Ford would just stand by their products and fix the numerous safety issues, this would be a great van.

'01 Windstar SE
By RZ on 05/04/10 10:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it brand new. Various mechanical issues over the years - sliding door lock had to be replaced, fuel sensor fuse had to be replaced three times, power driver seat failed and its electronics had to be replaced. Luckily husband is an engineer and did all this work himself. Check engine and ABS lights go on and off at will for last 10K miles. On the plus side, mileage is great for such a roomy mini-van. At 132K miles now and still get 22+ highway, 18-20 in mixed use. Very comfortable ride, great for hauling kids, friends and equipment. Just started to rust in past 6 months, but still looks ok. Tranny just started to slip occasionally, but overall been a very solid vehicle.

check engine light
By reggie on 02/13/10 13:22 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

i have had this car for 10 yrs and have put only 68,000 miles on it. Have had numerous issues since day 1. We've had 2 computer unit recall, 1 rear a/c recall, and recently the cruise controll recall. We had to spend close to $1,000 on new tires and struts and shocks after only 18,000 miles. Ford nor the dealership would repair those two problems because it was past the 3 yr warranty period, though it was under 36k miles. At around 40k miles, it started to get a p0174 lean code (check engine light). I took it to several ford specialty mechanics and they all say the same: intake manifold gasket was faulty because it was made of cheap plastic. It would cost around $600 to repair.

guess we got a good one!
By jjs on 02/11/10 10:44 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used with 18k miles on it. Now has 143,000 and runs just great. Had a transmission problem at about 55,000 miles but fixed at dealer andno further problem. Power doors don't always work, but the 3.8 burns no oil and no drips anywhere. Resale is terrible, so I'll drive it till it stops! Meanwhile, it remains a nice comfortable ride.

Not bad
By trevor on 01/30/10 14:37 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Pulled a boat back from a different province with my stepdads 01 sport. Liked it so much I bought the identical van. Other than the typical ford engineering that makes it hard to work on yourself its been a great family van. I pull trailers with it all the time and use it for road trips with the family. It gets great gas mileage,has lots of power and has no problem with the cruise set at 145km/h. I think a tranny cooler helps deal with trans problems.