Used 2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

GREAT VAN - IF YOU BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY
By momof4

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Three new transmissions in less than 75k miles; first transmission 25k miles. Bought van brand new. Heavenly ride. Original transmission gave hints of failure at 10,000 miles -- dealership denied for another 15,000 miles until the whole transmission gave out while crossing highway. Ford, good training on the denial of transmission problems. Thanks for putting my life in danger! This may sound crazy, but I love the van even with 3 new transmissions in 4 years. Perhaps Iím not wise. 3 children alters thought process. Edmund's reviewers were dead on even the nit picky problems. A financial survival tip -- extended warranty absolutely without a doubt a serious necessity for Windstar owners -- Ford Direct) finances no interest.

Favorite Features

Rides nice (when not in the shop). Safety ratings great. I like the looks. Warranty is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

FORD - Why can't you build a better transmission for the Windstar? My husband's 2002 truck has had absolutely no maintenance or shop time since he bought it new and it now has 95,000 miles on it.

Best pre-owned value for your money
By Mobin Akhtar

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

We bought the vehicle pre-owned with 80K miles on it. Primarily we wanted something bigger than the Honda CR-V that we traded for this van. My family was used to the Expedition we had before that so from the CR-V's perspective, this was a pleasant upgrade. Also this model had leather, wood, etc. and automatic rear doors that help us a lot with a 5 year old and a 7 year old. Car has been nothing but comfort for us. The only work ever done on it other than routine oil/tires and consumables has been a dead battery (expected at this age) for $50, a top engine seal vacuum leak @ $140.00 and thats it! Exceptional for a FORD vehicle.

Favorite Features

Rides very swift and requires getting used to. Love the 4 captains chairs and all electronics. We love the trip computer, dual A/C and split entertainment system. Both rear doors can be opened using remote! Bravo.

Suggested Improvements

Power liftgate will be awesome. The liftgate is very heavy even for a man like me (5ft-8, 190lbs).

I love this van
By wesleysgranny

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

I bought this van with 60,000 miles on it. I had some minor work done and have not had a single problem since.

Favorite Features

The roominess, seats that come out, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Make that bumper to bumper plan cover the car bumper to bumper. If it breaks, fix it. I paid a lot of money for the extra coverage.

Don't buy one
By Wes Smith

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Since the warranty expired, I have spent an average of $1500 per year on non-routine mantenance. It has been a pain in the wallet. I expect to spend money on tires, brakes, etc. But I have had to have to much "other" work done on the van.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability, cheaper replacement parts.

Ford junk- NEVER AGAIN!
By Mom of 3

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

From 55,000 - 76,000 miles replaced wheel bearings, electrical components, and ABS system. Also, the car stalled while driving, extremely dangerous. Car repairs totaled more then payments. I decided cut my losses and trade it. Dealer said transmission slipped and is worth $2800. After research I expected a loss but that was more than anticipated. So I went home defeated. I pulled into my driveway and it started to smoke and burn up. Lovely. I would like to buy American but Ford has made this American family poor so save time, aggravation, and money by NOT buying a Windstar. Sorry Ford, but there's a reason why the foreign car industry is doing so well, we're tired of being taken advantage of.

Favorite Features

When I do sell the car, handing the keys to the dealer and driving away in a Sienna.

Suggested Improvements

Isn't it obvious? Okay, if it isn't...Ford build your products with quality parts and stand behind them.