2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Windstar
By Jeff G on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought it 3 yrs ago,vehicle was a year old with 15,000 miles.Beutiful van seemed to be a bargain at $17,700.Now it,s barely worth anything with 45,000 miles,the tranny clunks like it may fall out at any time.Front end alignment is needed every 3-4 months,alot of vibration in steering upon interstate driving.Also luggage rack paint falling off.We are tring despertly to get it traded in so I don't have to try and sell it myself.I am afraid I would give it away!

What a mistake!
By Derron Winfrey on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

This vehicle has been nothing but problems from the word go. At 25000 miles we were putting on new tie rods, then again by 50000. Which is right after we replaced the transmission at 45000. Wiper motor brakes at 60000 along with passenger door locks, power sterring making terrible griding noise and diver side power seat has been repaired 3 times. Spark plugs have been replaced twice. We have 65000 on this car and I'm affraid to let my wife take it out of town. Thank God for the extended warranty!

THIS VAN IS TERRIBLE
By grayva on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

This is my second rating...again, this van has cost me nearly $1,500 in the past six months and I have another 21 months to pay on this piece of junk. I spent over $500 on replacing some sensor that went bad and caused van to stall. Now check engine light is on and I'm told some carbon buildup, leaking gasket allowing air and leaking manifold are causing the problem. Cost, a whopping $995 to fix. This is my first and last FORD! What junk!

No More Windstars
By DJL on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We had many problems with the automatic rear sliding doors not closing all the way. Too noisy when driving on the highway. Gas mileage is poor. Resale value is terrible.

Not too thrilled!!
By swyatt on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Owned a 96 Windstar and 00 Windstar. 96 developed Transmission problems around 65,000k. Wouldn't shift properly after transmission was hot. The 00 needed some maintenance when I bought it, but ran fine for awhile. The power steering creaks really badly and I am afraid to take it in. I see a $400+ bill in my future. Also, transmission clunks most of the time when placed into gear. Check engine light came on again last week. Too many recalls

What A Nightmare
By PO,D IN CT on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

This car was great until the dreaded 36000 mile warranty cut off. At about 38000 miles all heck broke loose. 1st it was the heater ($1300), next the air intake thing ??,($900) then the bearings ($1400). $3600 later we traded it in for a real car (Honda). Through all the problems neither Ford nor the dealership wanted to even know us. In 1 yr. of owning the Windstar it cost us $3600 in repairs and $8000 in depreciation . After owning 4 other previous Fords I will never buy a Ford again!!!

Windstar a Bust
By michaeljtee on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I purchased this vehicle to give family of five (3 children) more room and comfort when travelling. Safety was important to me and this has proved to be a safe sturdy vehicle. Ask the deer that ran in front of the van last week! Minimum damage to van. However, at 16,000 miles transmission had to be replaced. Received 24 month/24,000 on new transmission. Well, 30,000 miles later (46,000 total) tranny # 2 is leaking and slipping. 25K..Never again!

piece of crap
By gtw on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Paint is chipping off the corners of the roof. Paint is cracking on top of roof where the roof ditch is located on the left and right side of roof. Luggage rack has black coating flaking off. Van keeps rolling after you put in park. Car is just over 3 years old and I certainly do not expect to have paint problems. DO NOT BUY ONE!!!

Family car
By Mela on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

Great family car. It has all the features we looked for, without spending too much. Very convenient for us that have two babies using car seats.

A mistake I bought it
By phlbill on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I bought my Windstar in April 2000. After a couple of weeks I knew it was a mistake. The driver's seat position is uncomfortable. There is no place to put your left foot while driving except on the hump for the front wheel. Gas milage is terrible. It strugles to get 20 mpg on the highway and 14 mpg in a mix of urban highway and city driving. Gas milage is almost as bad as a 68 Caddy I once had. But that had a 7.7 liter engine vs the Windstar's 3.8. It has been for the most part a car that starts and gets me where I am going. I should bought a F150 Super Crew or a Caravan