Used 2000 Ford Windstar SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Most Helpful|
Ford is terrible
By David

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Original transmission replaced at 38,000 miles, replacement transmission had to be replaced at 43,000 miles, then motor broke at 92,000 miles. I will now be junking vehicle, not worth $3,800 repair estimate. Maintenance was performed regularly.

Favorite Features

Vehicle has no rust, looks good, and handled well.

Suggested Improvements

Ford mechanical quality is terrible. Too expensive to operate. By a Honda instead.

Great Car
By 2windstar50

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this car new because the last Windstar my family and I had, a 1995, blew a head gasket (first major problem). We loved it. This Windstar is excellent and there has only been one problem in 62,000 miles: the front passenger door lock doesn't work. This car is luxurious and one of the best.

Favorite Features

Rear A/C control, CD player, power right side sliding door, very comfortable seats, third row seat can be moved to second row.

Suggested Improvements

Too loud, some squeaks, suspension doesn't absorb very well.

DONT BOTHER WITH THE FORD
By rick welliver

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Dont even bother looking. We have had countless recalls. Had to fix something at 38k right after warranty expired, dealership met us 1/2 way on a 900.00 bill. Squeeks everywhere, door leaks.. Car rolls SIGNIFICANLTY after it is placed in park DANGEROUS... ALso groans and moans when you turnt he wheel. I am told it might have a crack in the manifold, WHICH IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM. I will never buy another Ford again.

Favorite Features

Very Comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Develop New Transmission, extend the warranty if you feel quality is job one. TIGHTEN UP THE SHIP..... no wonder sales are slipping and Honda and Toyota have bumped them out of #2 spot.

Still works well
By Joe

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van new in 2000. Have maitained van according to manual (mostly). This van has been to FL from WI and back several times, to SD pulling a camper 2 times, KY and TN twice and is used daily around home. It currently has 201,600 + miles on it and is starting to show it's age. We now have some electrical issues with the cruise control, ABS and gauges. Overall this van has been very reliable. No transmission problems eventhough we pull a pop-up camper with it and no other major issues. We have replaced struts, shocks, tierod ends, brakes and an alternator but I consider these items "maintence" because parts do wear out. Wife now has a 2002 Windstar and I plan on driving oldone

Favorite Features

Reliable, cheap transportation. I hated it when my wife brought it home but I grew to love the reliability and practicality of the mini van. I even named her Ethel.

Suggested Improvements

Better handling, It drives like a "mini van". Any breeze at all makes it wander around the road forcing me to constantly correct.

Just Traded it In!!
By nicholez

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I just traded in my Windstar (amazingly got 2K for it!) and glad to be rid of it. The power door was great when my kids were younger, but now I really don't need all the extra space. The extra back seat was nice for certain times when we had extra passengers. I purchased the vehicle with 77k miles on it and over 5 years, only put about 30K on. The emissions system light has been on since I owned it and recently, the ABS light has been on for no reason. The front passenger door will not unlock with the power lock and occasionally the sliding door will not work. The rear defrost stopped working and air will only blow out of the defrost vents. Glad to be rid of the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Roomy, lots of leg room and love the extra seating. Lots of storage compartments. Power sliding door was nice.

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders!!! my coffee spilled out everytime until we rigged our own cupholder in the back of the center console. also, I have heard several windstar owners with the emissions light always on. My mechanic could never find a problem and this made it difficult for trade in value!!!