2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Happy Aloha with FORD!
By stevehawaii on 12/07/04 01:29 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

I've had this van for over 4 years now (42K miles). Just a few problems, but nothing I would consider major. During third year sliding doors would open on their own or would not stay closed - found out that was due to needing a new battery. After replacing, no more problems with doors. At 36K, power windows went out (about 3 months between them, both front). Just after the warranty! Mechanically, has been sound. Love it. Love the entertainment center and the reverse sensing, both are must haves. Dual A/C is fabulous and still ice cold after being run every day for over 4 years in the hot Hawaiian sun. Split sound system is a godsend as well; kids have video in back, we have music up front.

Another unhappy owner
By Jimohio on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought this because of the safety issues, great dealership and good price. However, this has turned out to be one of the worst cars I have owned. It was in the shop so much that I started to wait on the minor things so that I could get several things fixed with one trip. It started with the power window controls, twice on the drivers side and once on the passenger side being replaced. Then came rotors, (3 sets), air conditioning controls, new transmission, new intake manifold, new tie rod ends, leak in the rear floor seat mounts, tailgate pistons, power steering pump. The interior lights and seat belt chime come on at will, muffler hanger and others.

DONT BOTHER WITH THE FORD
By rick welliver on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Dont even bother looking. We have had countless recalls. Had to fix something at 38k right after warranty expired, dealership met us 1/2 way on a 900.00 bill. Squeeks everywhere, door leaks.. Car rolls SIGNIFICANLTY after it is placed in park DANGEROUS... ALso groans and moans when you turnt he wheel. I am told it might have a crack in the manifold, WHICH IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM. I will never buy another Ford again.

2000 forf windstar
By vikingone on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

this van has been very relieable, comfotable to drive.inside outside very pleasing to eye.it been without any problems since i puchased it.very verisable too.Replaced tires at 50,000 still has oringinal brakes front/rear.pint is still very shiny.all around very good automobile

Very Disapointed
By Cosgrove on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Purchased the car because we liked the styling, safety and size. Went for a loaded SEL because we planned to pay it off and keep it for 8-10 years. Suddenly, with 55k miles, the car just stops. It will only go into reverse. We have it towed to the shop and find out we need a new transmission for $2500! Looking through the internet I find dozens of people that have had the exact same problem. How Ford can state or even imply that they build quality vehicles is beyond me, this will be the very last Ford product I ever purchase. I want my money back!

Windstar Sport
By jonsparham1 on 04/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We got a special deal on this one new when our 1995 Windstar blew a head gasket at 123000 miles, a common problem we found out too late and usually fatal. This is an introductory model, the Sport, . The van has had a few problems after 35k mile, only one serious problem: a broken valve spring that could have blown the engine; but other problems were not serious: new fuel pump, new set of tires, minor stuff, but not too frequently. It is out dated compared to the new Toyota and Honda or Nissan vans and any of these 3 are far better choices. WE feel very safe in Windstar, but it is not what I will buy next time for my wife and kids.

Family Car
By dkturnage on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

Has been extremely nice on long trips. Very comfortable interior. I have two of four sons that are 6 ft 5 in and 6 ft 7 in and they could lean back in the captains chairs and sleep. Only problem was the transmission in which the dealer promptly fixed. Has been a very good reliable vehicle.

My Experience with the 2000 Windstar
By SJohnson on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

First of all, it has that noisy engine. Tapping of the valves. It will keep on running though. Very reliable even with the sounds. I have nearly 66000 on it now and it has no rattles inside. The kids are very comfortable in it. The sliding doors on both sides make it so nice for entering and exiting. It has great pick up as well as a good braking system.

Never Again
By Never Againnn on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I should have turned in the lease when the Ford Dealer would not warranty to 7/70,000. They knew it was a crappy vehicle.

Look A Windstar RUN!
By windstarhater on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

This is the worst auto I have ever owned. It has been in the dealership shop at least once per month since I purchased it. The engine sounds like the valves are clattering all the time. its had 6 new pistons,The transmission rebuilt 3 times, the interior lights turn off and on by themselves. The lifters have been replaced 1 at a time for over 2 years. The doors leak. instrument panel went out and that controls the theft and ignition system. The intake manifold has been replaced 4 times this is normal for the intake to warp I'm told. this is my first and last FORD.