Used 2000 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Good Bye Ford, Hello Nissan
By jon

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I purchased my 2000 Windstar used 4 years old with 42000 miles on it in the hopes it would last me several years and provide dependable service. I have spent far more maintaining this vehicle than I would have with another vehicle. The transmission is slipping (75,000 miles), struts need replacing, power door locks not working, fuel economy is 17 mpg (which is harder to swallow closer to $3/ gallon) and vehicle has always had problems with alignments. The worst part is that given the dependability and performance of the Windstar, I'll lose a significant amount of money today as I trade it in on a (yes) foreign car to take advantage of the Japanese ability to build dependable vehicles that hold their value.

I have to admit that it was comfortable.. The leather interior was my first vehicle with leather seats,

Improve fuel economy, transmission, suspension.

I like it so far
By kbarno

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I used to own a 1995 Ford Aerostar with 220,000 miles & sold it to a friend. He has done minimal work to it and it's still running. So I bought a Windstar. The washer fluid sprayer on the back window doesn't work, and I've had to replace a windshield due to a rock ding. It needs the plugs done but that's expected at 112,000 miles; other than that I'm happy. The clunky noise in the tranny seems to be a normal Ford thing. The Aerostar sounded like that for years and at the mileage it had, the tranny still ran strong. Overall I hope to have the same luck with the Windstar, because at this time I'm happy with it.

Lots of room, have 3 kids and a hubby that's 6'5" and he drives it comfortably (with the cup holder in) and it keeps all the kid's goodies.

The drivers seat could stand to be a lot more comfortable, and the cupholder in the front of the van can't support a bottle of soda; they fall out every time you turn. The wipers skip on the windshield, despite buying the wipers with the weights on them. And yes the tranny is a little clunky.

50 years of Fords and this is the last
By My Last Ford

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I'm 8,000 miles into the 3th transmission in 115,000 miles and I'm now getting "check transmission" errors. The original transmission died at 40,000, the second at 60,000 and number 3 at 112,000. The only other problems have been tie rod ends at 50k and a couple of engine modules at about 70,000. Ford paid for tranny #2 under their 36,000 replacement part warranty. The new error (the previous trannys died while pulling out into traffic with no warning) is likely to be a computer module that isn't part of the warrantied replacement tranny -- needless to say after $10,000 in repairs on a $25,000 car, this is the last Ford, despite a lifetime of being a Ford owner.

Despite all the problems is a great driving vehicle on the highway. Virtually all my miles are a highway speeds and the beast drives well. Adequate power and pretty good handling for such a fat and heavy car. Gas mileage has always been in the 19- 21 mpg range, even in OK/TX summer with both air conditioners on

Bulldoze all your plants and close down, Ford is an embarrassment to American engineering and manufacturing.

Never Again!
By KVriezen

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I bought this car from a dealership with 23K miles on it 3.5 yrs. ago. We rolled our '96 Windstar (which had problems) after hitting a patch of MN ice and T-boning another van. Because we walked away with only a few bruises and scratches (living to tell about the 5-star crash rating), I bought another Windstar. Stupid me. At 97K the O/D light & the Check Transmission lights came on. It seemed to be OK if the car was cold, but after about 45 miles it would come on. It also started skipping gears. After three trips to the mechanic (whom we have used for years) he says there is a tranny leak and we need a new one ($2K). He first thought it was a stuck solenoid. NOT! No more Fords for us! EVER!

Electrically adjustable leather seats, heated mirrors, auto dim rear-view mirrors, rear headphone jacks and audio controls. Dual rear power cargo doors that can be opened remotely.

Solve the stupid tranny problems. Enough is enough. Planned obsolescence has gone too far here! Improve the gas mileage. Improve captain's chair cup holders... very easily broken.

comfortable, yet unreliable.
By Roman

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Well, I bought this car with 75K on it and put 6000 miles on it within 3 months. When I bought it I didn't know that transmission slips @ 65-75 m/hr. I had to push gas and the problem seemed to go away, then it would do this again (probably transmission, I don't know). Also EGR censor went bad - another $75, easy to change though. Engine is strong, yet seemed to leak some oil, very little. Overall it's a very comfortable ride, dual air, dual sliding doors, tinted windows, alloy wheels, exterior design is pretty good for that year. I wish they could improve the quality, other than that it's an ok experience. Quality Ford, when you improve the quality?

Comfort, strong 3.8L engine, soft ride.

CD has to be standard for 2000. Quality needs to be improved, otherwise it's a pretty comfortable car.