Used 2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Never buy a Ford!
By Disgusted

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Nice vehicle in terms of looks, comfort, safety and driveability. But it has been costly to maintain. Needed new tie rods, intake manifold developed a leak, new rotors, AC/heater control failed, blown head gasket. Over $8000 in repairs with 66000 miles. I have owned three Fords and all had major mechanical problems. That's three strikes in my book. I will never buy another Ford. I looked at an Odyssey but wanted to buy American. It's a national disgrace that they can't build a better vehicle.

Looks, comfort, utility, safety

Sack the Ford engineering department and hire some Honda engineers.

Two lemons to make sour lemonade
By Gary

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

The Windstar SEL was well equipped and it offered some means of comfort and style. The exterior looks very appealing, stylish and a real head turn kind of vehicle. Truly an amazing color and great color coordination plum and gray in color. Adequate power for a minivan and very responsive. But the transmission stinks! I went through two Windstars, both gave me transmission problems. The first Windstar was an SE version and it was rather roomy, as a matter of fact the 1995 SE was roomier than the 2000 SEL though it was an army green and gray I got used to it. The 95' SE was a joke as far as handling and power. Since the Windstar had such a great safety rating I bough another big mistake.

The sliding power doors I like, the video player between the front seats were cool. The soft plush leather seats are comfortable. The ride is second to none on the 2000 SEL. I love the info display.

Improve the transmission they stink!

REALLY BAD DECISION!
By liz

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought this car used at about 3yrs/36k miles. Checked all reviews for this year and they seemed great for reliability. After hitting close to 75k miles this car is a money pit. The emission control light keeps coming on and my mechanic can't seem to fix it. Every week it goes back with a different problem fixed related to this light. I am starting to feel the trans slipping...just great! Just what I need. At the time I bought it, I couldn't afford a used Honda minivan, now with all that I've spent in repairs and aggravation I could (and should) have purchased that Honda. There has to be some type of recall...this is ridiculous!

Roomy, dual sliding doors.

RECALL the emissions, rack & pinion, and transmission. Make a much better and reliable vehicle. Lets face it - anybody that is purchasing a minivan is looking for safety and reliability, they aren't buying it to look cool.

Ford Windstar
By nyjetsus

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Low mechanical quality makes this vehicle the worst Ford I have ever owned. Once factory warranty expired, the trouble began. Multiple breakdowns, including AC and transmission.

Comfort and convenience.

Mechanical quality.

Ford is terrible
By David

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Original transmission replaced at 38,000 miles, replacement transmission had to be replaced at 43,000 miles, then motor broke at 92,000 miles. I will now be junking vehicle, not worth $3,800 repair estimate. Maintenance was performed regularly.

Vehicle has no rust, looks good, and handled well.

Ford mechanical quality is terrible. Too expensive to operate. By a Honda instead.