2000 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Buyer Beware!
By TheWizardOfAhhs on 06/25/05 02:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

We bought this van in 2000. Intermittent electrical problems from day one and they could never fix it. Got 4 years and 38,800 miles out of it before the TRANSMISSION WENT OUT! Warranty was 3 years or 36K miles so Ford would not help us with the repair. They didn't disclose this until AFTER milking us for another $250 for them to diagnose that the transmission was out. (The car was towed in). Dealer wanted nearly $5K to replace. Fat chance!. Heck the van is not worth much more than that on the used market. We are in the market for a sedan, but will never buy another Ford Product. if you buy this van, follow dealer maintenance religiously and buy extended warranty.

Windstar - Quality is Job none!
By Parents of Three on 06/17/05 14:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought 2000 Windstar new. Day1, heard clunking transmission when shifting. Dealer said it's fine. At 54k miles, transmission died. I had original complaint documented. They gave us a break - still cost me $800. 5 minutes later, transmission died again. Cost $100 deductible plus other $125 transmission problem they said not related. Yeah right! At 63k miles the front spring broke. Cost $925 for 2 springs, alignment, etc. Had that back 3 days and the ABS/Brakes lights went on. Took it back - $1157 quote for "Modules." No way I'm paying them that. Dealer/Ford gave no other help. Please research before buying or get extended warranty. I'm trading for Sienna or Odyssey this weekend. Should not have so many problems at 63k miles.

It's been good for us.
By Famof4 on 06/08/05 22:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

We bought our van new when 0.9% financing mattered with a growing family. It went through 5 recalls in 2 years and had a few minor things that were covered by warranty but so far, knock on wood, we have had no major problems. We have changed oil every 3000 miles and rotated tires every 7000. At 48,000 miles we replaced the battery and tires and did the brakes at 55,000 miles. All things I consider standard wear and tear. It's not a beauty to many but to us it has been a very reliable vehicle. I would not buy another one because of resale and like another reviewer pointed out, the drivers seat is not very comfortable and there's not much leg room if you have long legs as I do.

Never again Ford!
By Never again Ford on 06/06/05 20:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I've owned since new. They call it Windstar for a reason. You can hear all the wind and road noise! Noisy engine. Paint came off hood. Roof paint cracked and had to be repainted. It shakes and shutters when turning if you press the gas pedal. Continues to roll after putting it in park (scary). I have 75,000 miles on it with no major mechanical problems. But from what I heard, there will be a transmission in the future. Stay away.

Not up to par
By j knight on 04/05/05 17:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Power steering went out at 59,000 miles. Not covered by warranty. Transmission went out at almost 100,000 miles. Steering control is poor on this vehicle. Removing seats very difficult. Paint finish (red) chips off easily. My '93 Escort had a superior paint job.

Money Pit of Vans
By Doug K on 04/04/05 14:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I purchased this van used, with 39K miles. My family had outgrown a SUV, so we went with the Windstar. After 2 months, I needed a power steering pump. Now it is making that groaning noise again. At 53K the transmission completely failed. It cost me $2,200 for a rebuilt, and Ford told me that they would not help. I am getting rid of this van as quickly as possible. I may never buy a Ford again.

It's gonna cost you!
By costmemoney on 04/02/05 13:22 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Purchased with 32K. Had Windstar for one year and felt a "thug" on transmission. Thankfully I bought an extented bumper to bumper 3 year warranty for $1,800. Tranny went at 37K! Would have cost me $2,300. Now the front windshield wipers work only on the "fast" setting, passenger seat belt doesn't work, electric side door has problems closing, interior lights go on whenever. Paint on roof rack peels, engine is loud. I bought this car for my family; need the room. It looks nice and its interior design is interesting for the passengers. But, if you plan on buying this car make sure you buy a least a 3 year warranty. If you dont you will spend at least $2,000 in the first 18 months. Good Luck!

The Ford Windstar
By Andy on 03/13/05 07:11 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This Windstar has 26,000 miles. She runs great! This is our second Windstar and they keep on getting better. The legroom and headroom is much better than the Freestar's. I give this car a 10!

Next van will not be a Ford.
By payton on 01/31/05 23:02 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Only reason for buying van was the low price I aquired it for & having 3 children. All kinds of things were replaced under warranty (previous owner). At 40,000 miles a valve spring broke! As of now, 5 yrs old; engine light showing, rear side defroster not working, driver door lock not working electrically, passenger sliding door rattles & paint peeling! Glad I didn't purchase it new. Wish I had not of purchased it at all.

2000 SE Windstar
By jjrwang on 01/04/05 01:22 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Good basic people & everyday cargo hauler. Do not log too much miles annually, thus haven't experienced all the problems that other owners have posted on discussion. But very leery about long term ownership. Will send it to truck heaven in the sky at the first sign of major problem. Have a series of little electrical and recall items since new. Currenty have check engine code P0171 & P0174 still to be resolved. Out of warranty, and very reluctant to send back to dealer. Knowledge and willingness to help you daunts me. Dealers themselves need to update themselves. The last time I need the Windstar to be reflashed, the had to "order" the flash cable!