Used 2000 Ford Windstar SE Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Ford junk- NEVER AGAIN!
By Mom of 3

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

From 55,000 - 76,000 miles replaced wheel bearings, electrical components, and ABS system. Also, the car stalled while driving, extremely dangerous. Car repairs totaled more then payments. I decided cut my losses and trade it. Dealer said transmission slipped and is worth $2800. After research I expected a loss but that was more than anticipated. So I went home defeated. I pulled into my driveway and it started to smoke and burn up. Lovely. I would like to buy American but Ford has made this American family poor so save time, aggravation, and money by NOT buying a Windstar. Sorry Ford, but there's a reason why the foreign car industry is doing so well, we're tired of being taken advantage of.

When I do sell the car, handing the keys to the dealer and driving away in a Sienna.

Isn't it obvious? Okay, if it isn't...Ford build your products with quality parts and stand behind them.

piece of junk
By piece-0-junk

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Whenever Ford Credit called for the payment, we had to explain to them that the van repairs where costing us more each month than the payments and its tough to make the payments, plus the repairs (of course, they could care less). The transmission went out at 44k, the front end is build so weak that the struts went out at 37k, and the front brakes warps so bad that they have been replaced 3 times in 5 years. Of course each thing that had to be repaired went out after warranty expiration. It is amazing how they have engineered a vehicle to fail almost as soon as the warranty expires. If only they would put that engineering skill to good use to build a reliable vehicle.

NONE - save yourself the trouble and buy something else. These reviews don't lie!

Sell Ford to the Japanese, maybe then they will figure out how to build a good vehicle.

Constant Repairs
By Terry Dullaghan

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Purchased with 29,000 on it. Vehicle now has 65,000. In 36,000 miles we have replaced the front axle once, the transmission, the ABS system, various electrical systems and the head gasket. I purchased this for my daughter and her three children and it is the most unreliable vehicle we have ever owned. It appears Ford products start self destructing right at 55,000 miles and beyond.

The appearance of all Ford products.

Higher quality parts that hold up beyond 50,000 miles.

This Van is Awesome!
By admaster_99

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

My parents bought this van brand new in 2000, it has performed flawlessly during the past five years (95,000 miles). The van has been in the shop for service maybe 2 times. Once for the ball bearings in the front wheels; the second time to replace the tie rods because they were bent from all the torque the engine puts out. It is just starting to show signs of wear like a little squeak here and there, and shocks getting a little worn. Nothing major; drivetrain is rock solid, tranny isn't quite as tight as it use to be but is can still easily smoke the tires. If I had to depend on a vehicle, it would for sure be the Windstar.

Like the rims, spoiler, beefy V-6, tight steering, lots of room, like the fact that there is no center console between front seats

Isn't the best on gas, seats could be a little more comfortable.

Windstar - Quality is Job none!
By Parents of Three

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought 2000 Windstar new. Day1, heard clunking transmission when shifting. Dealer said it's fine. At 54k miles, transmission died. I had original complaint documented. They gave us a break - still cost me $800. 5 minutes later, transmission died again. Cost $100 deductible plus other $125 transmission problem they said not related. Yeah right! At 63k miles the front spring broke. Cost $925 for 2 springs, alignment, etc. Had that back 3 days and the ABS/Brakes lights went on. Took it back - $1157 quote for "Modules." No way I'm paying them that. Dealer/Ford gave no other help. Please research before buying or get extended warranty. I'm trading for Sienna or Odyssey this weekend. Should not have so many problems at 63k miles.

Dual air in back and front. A lot of room in this van.

Ford should stand behind their vehicle and fix quality control issues. Check market share of American cars vs Nissan, Toyota, Honda. It's not just a coincidence US car share is going down, and those others are going up. We just don't want to fix our cars all the time.