2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Not very impressed
By Not very impressed on 06/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

At first I loved the van but then it started. 1st the back speakers started going out. Dealer said the pins just needed buffed. Next, check engine light started coming on & eventually going off. Now it goes on everyday after work. Another known problem w/ no resolution. I still have the speaker issue & 1000 miles after warranty, my trans went costing me $$. Mechanics claimed it was a common error and do not understand why Ford does not cover/recall on the issue.(not big enough issue to recall) I have learned to live with my problems. I am ready to buy a new van. I know my next van will not be a Ford (1st time in 15 years I have not bought Ford)

Tranmissions Issues
By John See on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Transmission went out without warning at 62000 miles. Ford service was horrible and not helpful in explaining why a car maintained regularly would have such a large failure at a relatively low milage for such components. Basically said since first time Ford buyer, we can't give you any assistance with product defect.

been very good so far...
By gillyman32 on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Has been very reliable people mover so far. Only had to replace one tie rod under warranty, probably from hitting big potholes. Transmission has been fine. To avoid problems I recommend changing trans fluid every 36,000 miles or so just to be safe. Great van for trips and hauling stuff.

2000 Windstar
By alias1 on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Transmission just blew at less than 3 years and 43,000 miles. Blind spots due to headrests

No More FORDS for me!
By DeltaPDave on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I've had 3 Fords in 10 years and each vehicle was worse, culminating in the Windstar. Car "chimes" for no reason due to an electrical "gremlin". It also stranded my wife at work refusing to start. Dealer shrugged his shoulders. Transmission #2 at 20,000 miles and the thing still lurches and groans. The front bumper began to deteriorate as a crack developed and began spreading. Dealer says I hit something, but vehicle has NEVER come in contact with anything. Rear bumper has crack too. (I must have backed into a water buffalo without noticing!) The dealer has been worthless only surpassed by Ford Regional Management.

Many mechanical problems
By f perez on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

A year after purchasing my Windstar was in the shop for over a month ( 5 different occasions) Once they sell it to you it is your problem. I have purchased 5 fords (4 taurus before this lemmon) I will NEVER buy Ford again. They have gone back to the 1970's with built in obsolesence! When I went to return the car on a lease return, all the told me was that I should go into another lease because I did not want to own a car with 40k mi because it will most likely break-down. No Thanks. 3 yrs 36k is too little Ford does not stand behind their product. I am going to shop Honda Toyota tomorrow. If you are considering this van DON'T!!!

Good but could be better!
By winchesterp on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This is the 3rd minivan we have owned. The other two were Mercury Villagers. The Windstar is more trucklike in both ride and feel than the Villagers. It is also much roomier than the Villager, and the remote electric door opener feature is a nice touch. Also like the styling of the Windstar, and the dashboard is a little more ergonomic than the Mercury.

Windstar, why buy it?
By pro1mt on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

The Windstar is a real loser. Although I have not had many problems with it, The fit and finish does not compare with the competition. It is a very expensive vehicle that does not hold its value. After 2 years, a 29000 dollar vehicle is worth 10000. The passenger side window moter has had to be repaired twice, the passenger sliding door leaked before repaired. The cheap bumper system crunches when tapped in parking lots. I have been a Ford fan, but buy a ford truck instead. You will at least have a great vehicle when it is paid off.

What a lemon
By Pstoff on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I'll be embarassed to recommend this car. It's just have so many mechanical problems and what's so maddening is that Ford minivans have these same problems for a decade and it has not improved or resolved them. The car was delivered with alignment problem; tires have to be changed after less than 10k miles. After 1.5 yrs, the transmission broke down. After 2.5 yrs, the intake manifold broke down resulting in a $2k repair job.

dont buy one
By two4x4s on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Transmisson is awful, makes loud noise when you put it in gear and will roll a foot after you put it in gear and ford says it is fine. would be a great van but not worth the risk