Used 2000 Ford Windstar SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Ford is terrible
By David

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Original transmission replaced at 38,000 miles, replacement transmission had to be replaced at 43,000 miles, then motor broke at 92,000 miles. I will now be junking vehicle, not worth $3,800 repair estimate. Maintenance was performed regularly.

Vehicle has no rust, looks good, and handled well.

Ford mechanical quality is terrible. Too expensive to operate. By a Honda instead.

Good Bye Ford, Hello Nissan
By jon

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I purchased my 2000 Windstar used 4 years old with 42000 miles on it in the hopes it would last me several years and provide dependable service. I have spent far more maintaining this vehicle than I would have with another vehicle. The transmission is slipping (75,000 miles), struts need replacing, power door locks not working, fuel economy is 17 mpg (which is harder to swallow closer to $3/ gallon) and vehicle has always had problems with alignments. The worst part is that given the dependability and performance of the Windstar, I'll lose a significant amount of money today as I trade it in on a (yes) foreign car to take advantage of the Japanese ability to build dependable vehicles that hold their value.

I have to admit that it was comfortable.. The leather interior was my first vehicle with leather seats,

Improve fuel economy, transmission, suspension.

50 years of Fords and this is the last
By My Last Ford

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I'm 8,000 miles into the 3th transmission in 115,000 miles and I'm now getting "check transmission" errors. The original transmission died at 40,000, the second at 60,000 and number 3 at 112,000. The only other problems have been tie rod ends at 50k and a couple of engine modules at about 70,000. Ford paid for tranny #2 under their 36,000 replacement part warranty. The new error (the previous trannys died while pulling out into traffic with no warning) is likely to be a computer module that isn't part of the warrantied replacement tranny -- needless to say after $10,000 in repairs on a $25,000 car, this is the last Ford, despite a lifetime of being a Ford owner.

Despite all the problems is a great driving vehicle on the highway. Virtually all my miles are a highway speeds and the beast drives well. Adequate power and pretty good handling for such a fat and heavy car. Gas mileage has always been in the 19- 21 mpg range, even in OK/TX summer with both air conditioners on

Bulldoze all your plants and close down, Ford is an embarrassment to American engineering and manufacturing.

GREAT VAN - IF YOU BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY
By momof4

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Three new transmissions in less than 75k miles; first transmission 25k miles. Bought van brand new. Heavenly ride. Original transmission gave hints of failure at 10,000 miles -- dealership denied for another 15,000 miles until the whole transmission gave out while crossing highway. Ford, good training on the denial of transmission problems. Thanks for putting my life in danger! This may sound crazy, but I love the van even with 3 new transmissions in 4 years. Perhaps Iím not wise. 3 children alters thought process. Edmund's reviewers were dead on even the nit picky problems. A financial survival tip -- extended warranty absolutely without a doubt a serious necessity for Windstar owners -- Ford Direct) finances no interest.

Rides nice (when not in the shop). Safety ratings great. I like the looks. Warranty is awesome.

FORD - Why can't you build a better transmission for the Windstar? My husband's 2002 truck has had absolutely no maintenance or shop time since he bought it new and it now has 95,000 miles on it.

Don't buy one
By Wes Smith

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Since the warranty expired, I have spent an average of $1500 per year on non-routine mantenance. It has been a pain in the wallet. I expect to spend money on tires, brakes, etc. But I have had to have to much "other" work done on the van.

Better reliability, cheaper replacement parts.