2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
I like it so far
By kbarno on 07/18/06 19:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I used to own a 1995 Ford Aerostar with 220,000 miles & sold it to a friend. He has done minimal work to it and it's still running. So I bought a Windstar. The washer fluid sprayer on the back window doesn't work, and I've had to replace a windshield due to a rock ding. It needs the plugs done but that's expected at 112,000 miles; other than that I'm happy. The clunky noise in the tranny seems to be a normal Ford thing. The Aerostar sounded like that for years and at the mileage it had, the tranny still ran strong. Overall I hope to have the same luck with the Windstar, because at this time I'm happy with it.

50 years of Fords and this is the last
By My Last Ford on 06/16/06 07:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I'm 8,000 miles into the 3th transmission in 115,000 miles and I'm now getting "check transmission" errors. The original transmission died at 40,000, the second at 60,000 and number 3 at 112,000. The only other problems have been tie rod ends at 50k and a couple of engine modules at about 70,000. Ford paid for tranny #2 under their 36,000 replacement part warranty. The new error (the previous trannys died while pulling out into traffic with no warning) is likely to be a computer module that isn't part of the warrantied replacement tranny -- needless to say after $10,000 in repairs on a $25,000 car, this is the last Ford, despite a lifetime of being a Ford owner.

Never Again!
By KVriezen on 06/15/06 17:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I bought this car from a dealership with 23K miles on it 3.5 yrs. ago. We rolled our '96 Windstar (which had problems) after hitting a patch of MN ice and T-boning another van. Because we walked away with only a few bruises and scratches (living to tell about the 5-star crash rating), I bought another Windstar. Stupid me. At 97K the O/D light & the Check Transmission lights came on. It seemed to be OK if the car was cold, but after about 45 miles it would come on. It also started skipping gears. After three trips to the mechanic (whom we have used for years) he says there is a tranny leak and we need a new one ($2K). He first thought it was a stuck solenoid. NOT! No more Fords for us! EVER!

comfortable, yet unreliable.
By Roman on 04/19/06 14:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Well, I bought this car with 75K on it and put 6000 miles on it within 3 months. When I bought it I didn't know that transmission slips @ 65-75 m/hr. I had to push gas and the problem seemed to go away, then it would do this again (probably transmission, I don't know). Also EGR censor went bad - another $75, easy to change though. Engine is strong, yet seemed to leak some oil, very little. Overall it's a very comfortable ride, dual air, dual sliding doors, tinted windows, alloy wheels, exterior design is pretty good for that year. I wish they could improve the quality, other than that it's an ok experience. Quality Ford, when you improve the quality?

Steady Vehicle
By oldcrewjock on 04/16/06 17:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Generally a good vehicle, however there have been nagging issues. There was an issue with the steering column (fluid leak), the cruise control went out a 80K miles. It is a bit of a gas pig (17.5 town/21 hwy), now that gas is over $2.00/gal it is the last of the three I own to be used. The ability to switch climate control to rear is a nice feature. Used to tow a large pop-up camper- performed well. Lots of power, though could have more low end torque. Transmission tends to be a little clunky.

GREAT VAN - IF YOU BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY
By momof4 on 02/21/06 23:39 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Three new transmissions in less than 75k miles; first transmission 25k miles. Bought van brand new. Heavenly ride. Original transmission gave hints of failure at 10,000 miles -- dealership denied for another 15,000 miles until the whole transmission gave out while crossing highway. Ford, good training on the denial of transmission problems. Thanks for putting my life in danger! This may sound crazy, but I love the van even with 3 new transmissions in 4 years. Perhaps I’m not wise. 3 children alters thought process. Edmund's reviewers were dead on even the nit picky problems. A financial survival tip -- extended warranty absolutely without a doubt a serious necessity for Windstar owners -- Ford Direct) finances no interest.

Best pre-owned value for your money
By Mobin Akhtar on 01/31/06 15:32 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We bought the vehicle pre-owned with 80K miles on it. Primarily we wanted something bigger than the Honda CR-V that we traded for this van. My family was used to the Expedition we had before that so from the CR-V's perspective, this was a pleasant upgrade. Also this model had leather, wood, etc. and automatic rear doors that help us a lot with a 5 year old and a 7 year old. Car has been nothing but comfort for us. The only work ever done on it other than routine oil/tires and consumables has been a dead battery (expected at this age) for $50, a top engine seal vacuum leak @ $140.00 and thats it! Exceptional for a FORD vehicle.

I love this van
By wesleysgranny on 11/01/05 22:35 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I bought this van with 60,000 miles on it. I had some minor work done and have not had a single problem since.

Don't buy one
By Wes Smith on 10/28/05 09:30 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Since the warranty expired, I have spent an average of $1500 per year on non-routine mantenance. It has been a pain in the wallet. I expect to spend money on tires, brakes, etc. But I have had to have to much "other" work done on the van.

Ford junk- NEVER AGAIN!
By Mom of 3 on 10/28/05 07:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

From 55,000 - 76,000 miles replaced wheel bearings, electrical components, and ABS system. Also, the car stalled while driving, extremely dangerous. Car repairs totaled more then payments. I decided cut my losses and trade it. Dealer said transmission slipped and is worth $2800. After research I expected a loss but that was more than anticipated. So I went home defeated. I pulled into my driveway and it started to smoke and burn up. Lovely. I would like to buy American but Ford has made this American family poor so save time, aggravation, and money by NOT buying a Windstar. Sorry Ford, but there's a reason why the foreign car industry is doing so well, we're tired of being taken advantage of.