Used 2000 Ford Windstar SEL Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Disgruntled Ford owner
By Shirley L. Kimbro

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

My 2000 Ford Windstar SEL has given me nothing but trouble. The transmission had to be replaced when it was less than 2 years old ($2200). The transmission was replaced AGAIN 2 weeks ago ($2900), and it's in the service dept right now because the "Check Transmission" and the Overdrive light is still flashing. It's the WORST vehicle I've ever had. I will never spend my money on another Ford vehicle. The van should have been "recalled" for mechanical defects. The electrical doors and locks have failed.

The outside of the van looks good.

Create a quality vehicle.

After 5 & one half years
By s lznb

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We bought this vehicle due to the handling and power. The only one close was the Pontiac Montana sport but we couldn't make a deal. This van has never been any trouble, just routine maintenance, still has the OEM battery. Better fuel economy than expected, hwy & town. It has exceeded expectations and is still a pleasure to drive. I would buy another one except the new dash arrangement is unpleasant.

Automatic side doors, power leather seats, sound system.

Reliability is Horrible
By Patrick4

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We have a 2000 Windstar which we bought new. The transmission has gone out twice (60K and $70K miles). Everything breaks on it. The paint is peeling around all doors and on the roof, the electrical doors locks have broken, and the rear window water spray broke after about 3 months of ownership. My sister had a 2000 as well and the transmission went out on hers also. This is just the beginning of the problems.

Dual sliding doors (though they short out on occasion) were a very new feature at the time. Pretty good power on acceleration if needed.

Transmissions need rebuilding. The paint quality is horrible.

STAY AWAY
By JWM

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Simply the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Bought with 38K and only have 50k now. I have replaced the front axle, rear shocks (twice), front shocks and struts, and sway bars and it still feels like we are surfing. I have also fixed the brake sensor (twice), rear brakes and rotors, power steering pump, various gaskets, and the transmission had to be rebuilt and left my family stranded on our vacation. Driving it home from having the transmission rebuilt, the check engine light came on again. The front seat belt doesn't work properly and the power switch for the front seat has been broken for about a year. Even with the extended, this van is costing us money. Please don't ever buy this van.

None. This is a horrible van. Don't ever buy this van. Ford should be ashamed and embarrassed to have put this vehicle on the road. I will never purchase a Ford again in my life.

Ford should stop building automobiles if this is the quality they will continue putting out. Most people seem to have the same complaints: transmission, power steering pump, terrible suspension, and electrical problems.

It's gonna cost you!
By costmemoney

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Purchased with 32K. Had Windstar for one year and felt a "thug" on transmission. Thankfully I bought an extented bumper to bumper 3 year warranty for $1,800. Tranny went at 37K! Would have cost me $2,300. Now the front windshield wipers work only on the "fast" setting, passenger seat belt doesn't work, electric side door has problems closing, interior lights go on whenever. Paint on roof rack peels, engine is loud. I bought this car for my family; need the room. It looks nice and its interior design is interesting for the passengers. But, if you plan on buying this car make sure you buy a least a 3 year warranty. If you dont you will spend at least $2,000 in the first 18 months. Good Luck!

Rear backing sensor. Paint job is very shiny.

Transmisson and electrical modifications are needed.