Used 2000 Ford Windstar SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

SE Passenger Minivan (3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
piece of junk
By piece-0-junk on 08/26/05 14:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Whenever Ford Credit called for the payment, we had to explain to them that the van repairs where costing us more each month than the payments and its tough to make the payments, plus the repairs (of course, they could care less). The transmission went out at 44k, the front end is build so weak that the struts went out at 37k, and the front brakes warps so bad that they have been replaced 3 times in 5 years. Of course each thing that had to be repaired went out after warranty expiration. It is amazing how they have engineered a vehicle to fail almost as soon as the warranty expires. If only they would put that engineering skill to good use to build a reliable vehicle.

Constant Repairs
By Terry Dullaghan on 08/22/05 11:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Purchased with 29,000 on it. Vehicle now has 65,000. In 36,000 miles we have replaced the front axle once, the transmission, the ABS system, various electrical systems and the head gasket. I purchased this for my daughter and her three children and it is the most unreliable vehicle we have ever owned. It appears Ford products start self destructing right at 55,000 miles and beyond.

This Van is Awesome!
By admaster_99 on 07/25/05 22:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

My parents bought this van brand new in 2000, it has performed flawlessly during the past five years (95,000 miles). The van has been in the shop for service maybe 2 times. Once for the ball bearings in the front wheels; the second time to replace the tie rods because they were bent from all the torque the engine puts out. It is just starting to show signs of wear like a little squeak here and there, and shocks getting a little worn. Nothing major; drivetrain is rock solid, tranny isn't quite as tight as it use to be but is can still easily smoke the tires. If I had to depend on a vehicle, it would for sure be the Windstar.

Windstar - Quality is Job none!
By Parents of Three on 06/17/05 14:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought 2000 Windstar new. Day1, heard clunking transmission when shifting. Dealer said it's fine. At 54k miles, transmission died. I had original complaint documented. They gave us a break - still cost me $800. 5 minutes later, transmission died again. Cost $100 deductible plus other $125 transmission problem they said not related. Yeah right! At 63k miles the front spring broke. Cost $925 for 2 springs, alignment, etc. Had that back 3 days and the ABS/Brakes lights went on. Took it back - $1157 quote for "Modules." No way I'm paying them that. Dealer/Ford gave no other help. Please research before buying or get extended warranty. I'm trading for Sienna or Odyssey this weekend. Should not have so many problems at 63k miles.

Never again Ford!
By Never again Ford on 06/06/05 20:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I've owned since new. They call it Windstar for a reason. You can hear all the wind and road noise! Noisy engine. Paint came off hood. Roof paint cracked and had to be repainted. It shakes and shutters when turning if you press the gas pedal. Continues to roll after putting it in park (scary). I have 75,000 miles on it with no major mechanical problems. But from what I heard, there will be a transmission in the future. Stay away.

Not up to par
By j knight on 04/05/05 17:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Power steering went out at 59,000 miles. Not covered by warranty. Transmission went out at almost 100,000 miles. Steering control is poor on this vehicle. Removing seats very difficult. Paint finish (red) chips off easily. My '93 Escort had a superior paint job.

Money Pit of Vans
By Doug K on 04/04/05 14:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I purchased this van used, with 39K miles. My family had outgrown a SUV, so we went with the Windstar. After 2 months, I needed a power steering pump. Now it is making that groaning noise again. At 53K the transmission completely failed. It cost me $2,200 for a rebuilt, and Ford told me that they would not help. I am getting rid of this van as quickly as possible. I may never buy a Ford again.

The Ford Windstar
By Andy on 03/13/05 07:11 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This Windstar has 26,000 miles. She runs great! This is our second Windstar and they keep on getting better. The legroom and headroom is much better than the Freestar's. I give this car a 10!

Next van will not be a Ford.
By payton on 01/31/05 23:02 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Only reason for buying van was the low price I aquired it for & having 3 children. All kinds of things were replaced under warranty (previous owner). At 40,000 miles a valve spring broke! As of now, 5 yrs old; engine light showing, rear side defroster not working, driver door lock not working electrically, passenger sliding door rattles & paint peeling! Glad I didn't purchase it new. Wish I had not of purchased it at all.

2000 SE Windstar
By jjrwang on 01/04/05 01:22 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Good basic people & everyday cargo hauler. Do not log too much miles annually, thus haven't experienced all the problems that other owners have posted on discussion. But very leery about long term ownership. Will send it to truck heaven in the sky at the first sign of major problem. Have a series of little electrical and recall items since new. Currenty have check engine code P0171 & P0174 still to be resolved. Out of warranty, and very reluctant to send back to dealer. Knowledge and willingness to help you daunts me. Dealers themselves need to update themselves. The last time I need the Windstar to be reflashed, the had to "order" the flash cable!