2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Disgruntled Ford owner
By Shirley L. Kimbro on 08/23/05 15:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

My 2000 Ford Windstar SEL has given me nothing but trouble. The transmission had to be replaced when it was less than 2 years old ($2200). The transmission was replaced AGAIN 2 weeks ago ($2900), and it's in the service dept right now because the "Check Transmission" and the Overdrive light is still flashing. It's the WORST vehicle I've ever had. I will never spend my money on another Ford vehicle. The van should have been "recalled" for mechanical defects. The electrical doors and locks have failed.

After 5 & one half years
By s lznb on 07/30/05 00:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We bought this vehicle due to the handling and power. The only one close was the Pontiac Montana sport but we couldn't make a deal. This van has never been any trouble, just routine maintenance, still has the OEM battery. Better fuel economy than expected, hwy & town. It has exceeded expectations and is still a pleasure to drive. I would buy another one except the new dash arrangement is unpleasant.

Reliability is Horrible
By Patrick4 on 06/29/05 16:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We have a 2000 Windstar which we bought new. The transmission has gone out twice (60K and $70K miles). Everything breaks on it. The paint is peeling around all doors and on the roof, the electrical doors locks have broken, and the rear window water spray broke after about 3 months of ownership. My sister had a 2000 as well and the transmission went out on hers also. This is just the beginning of the problems.

STAY AWAY
By JWM on 06/29/05 13:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Simply the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Bought with 38K and only have 50k now. I have replaced the front axle, rear shocks (twice), front shocks and struts, and sway bars and it still feels like we are surfing. I have also fixed the brake sensor (twice), rear brakes and rotors, power steering pump, various gaskets, and the transmission had to be rebuilt and left my family stranded on our vacation. Driving it home from having the transmission rebuilt, the check engine light came on again. The front seat belt doesn't work properly and the power switch for the front seat has been broken for about a year. Even with the extended, this van is costing us money. Please don't ever buy this van.

It's gonna cost you!
By costmemoney on 04/02/05 13:22 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Purchased with 32K. Had Windstar for one year and felt a "thug" on transmission. Thankfully I bought an extented bumper to bumper 3 year warranty for $1,800. Tranny went at 37K! Would have cost me $2,300. Now the front windshield wipers work only on the "fast" setting, passenger seat belt doesn't work, electric side door has problems closing, interior lights go on whenever. Paint on roof rack peels, engine is loud. I bought this car for my family; need the room. It looks nice and its interior design is interesting for the passengers. But, if you plan on buying this car make sure you buy a least a 3 year warranty. If you dont you will spend at least $2,000 in the first 18 months. Good Luck!

Very Disapointed
By Cosgrove on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Purchased the car because we liked the styling, safety and size. Went for a loaded SEL because we planned to pay it off and keep it for 8-10 years. Suddenly, with 55k miles, the car just stops. It will only go into reverse. We have it towed to the shop and find out we need a new transmission for $2500! Looking through the internet I find dozens of people that have had the exact same problem. How Ford can state or even imply that they build quality vehicles is beyond me, this will be the very last Ford product I ever purchase. I want my money back!

Look A Windstar RUN!
By windstarhater on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

This is the worst auto I have ever owned. It has been in the dealership shop at least once per month since I purchased it. The engine sounds like the valves are clattering all the time. its had 6 new pistons,The transmission rebuilt 3 times, the interior lights turn off and on by themselves. The lifters have been replaced 1 at a time for over 2 years. The doors leak. instrument panel went out and that controls the theft and ignition system. The intake manifold has been replaced 4 times this is normal for the intake to warp I'm told. this is my first and last FORD.

THIS VAN IS TERRIBLE
By grayva on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

This is my second rating...again, this van has cost me nearly $1,500 in the past six months and I have another 21 months to pay on this piece of junk. I spent over $500 on replacing some sensor that went bad and caused van to stall. Now check engine light is on and I'm told some carbon buildup, leaking gasket allowing air and leaking manifold are causing the problem. Cost, a whopping $995 to fix. This is my first and last FORD! What junk!

No More Windstars
By DJL on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We had many problems with the automatic rear sliding doors not closing all the way. Too noisy when driving on the highway. Gas mileage is poor. Resale value is terrible.

What A Nightmare
By PO,D IN CT on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

This car was great until the dreaded 36000 mile warranty cut off. At about 38000 miles all heck broke loose. 1st it was the heater ($1300), next the air intake thing ??,($900) then the bearings ($1400). $3600 later we traded it in for a real car (Honda). Through all the problems neither Ford nor the dealership wanted to even know us. In 1 yr. of owning the Windstar it cost us $3600 in repairs and $8000 in depreciation . After owning 4 other previous Fords I will never buy a Ford again!!!