Used 2000 Ford Windstar SEL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Two lemons to make sour lemonade
By Gary

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

The Windstar SEL was well equipped and it offered some means of comfort and style. The exterior looks very appealing, stylish and a real head turn kind of vehicle. Truly an amazing color and great color coordination plum and gray in color. Adequate power for a minivan and very responsive. But the transmission stinks! I went through two Windstars, both gave me transmission problems. The first Windstar was an SE version and it was rather roomy, as a matter of fact the 1995 SE was roomier than the 2000 SEL though it was an army green and gray I got used to it. The 95' SE was a joke as far as handling and power. Since the Windstar had such a great safety rating I bough another big mistake.

Favorite Features

The sliding power doors I like, the video player between the front seats were cool. The soft plush leather seats are comfortable. The ride is second to none on the 2000 SEL. I love the info display.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the transmission they stink!

REALLY BAD DECISION!
By liz

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought this car used at about 3yrs/36k miles. Checked all reviews for this year and they seemed great for reliability. After hitting close to 75k miles this car is a money pit. The emission control light keeps coming on and my mechanic can't seem to fix it. Every week it goes back with a different problem fixed related to this light. I am starting to feel the trans slipping...just great! Just what I need. At the time I bought it, I couldn't afford a used Honda minivan, now with all that I've spent in repairs and aggravation I could (and should) have purchased that Honda. There has to be some type of recall...this is ridiculous!

Favorite Features

Roomy, dual sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

RECALL the emissions, rack & pinion, and transmission. Make a much better and reliable vehicle. Lets face it - anybody that is purchasing a minivan is looking for safety and reliability, they aren't buying it to look cool.

Never Again!
By KVriezen

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I bought this car from a dealership with 23K miles on it 3.5 yrs. ago. We rolled our '96 Windstar (which had problems) after hitting a patch of MN ice and T-boning another van. Because we walked away with only a few bruises and scratches (living to tell about the 5-star crash rating), I bought another Windstar. Stupid me. At 97K the O/D light & the Check Transmission lights came on. It seemed to be OK if the car was cold, but after about 45 miles it would come on. It also started skipping gears. After three trips to the mechanic (whom we have used for years) he says there is a tranny leak and we need a new one ($2K). He first thought it was a stuck solenoid. NOT! No more Fords for us! EVER!

Favorite Features

Electrically adjustable leather seats, heated mirrors, auto dim rear-view mirrors, rear headphone jacks and audio controls. Dual rear power cargo doors that can be opened remotely.

Suggested Improvements

Solve the stupid tranny problems. Enough is enough. Planned obsolescence has gone too far here! Improve the gas mileage. Improve captain's chair cup holders... very easily broken.

Best pre-owned value for your money
By Mobin Akhtar

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We bought the vehicle pre-owned with 80K miles on it. Primarily we wanted something bigger than the Honda CR-V that we traded for this van. My family was used to the Expedition we had before that so from the CR-V's perspective, this was a pleasant upgrade. Also this model had leather, wood, etc. and automatic rear doors that help us a lot with a 5 year old and a 7 year old. Car has been nothing but comfort for us. The only work ever done on it other than routine oil/tires and consumables has been a dead battery (expected at this age) for $50, a top engine seal vacuum leak @ $140.00 and thats it! Exceptional for a FORD vehicle.

Favorite Features

Rides very swift and requires getting used to. Love the 4 captains chairs and all electronics. We love the trip computer, dual A/C and split entertainment system. Both rear doors can be opened using remote! Bravo.

Suggested Improvements

Power liftgate will be awesome. The liftgate is very heavy even for a man like me (5ft-8, 190lbs).

I love this van
By wesleysgranny

2000 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I bought this van with 60,000 miles on it. I had some minor work done and have not had a single problem since.

Favorite Features

The roominess, seats that come out, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Make that bumper to bumper plan cover the car bumper to bumper. If it breaks, fix it. I paid a lot of money for the extra coverage.