2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Bad job, Ford
By Karl on 12/02/07 05:41 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Ongoing problems with this van, which now has about 70,000 miles. Have owned since new, with about $7,000 in unscheduled maintenance in 8 years. List of problems: driver seat motor, rear window motor, cooling system leak (despite regular maintenance), air conditioning, cruise control (twice), engine pings loudly, electric rear doors unreliable, rear stereo speaker connections bad. Have decided never to buy a Ford vehicle again.

Whatever
By Familyman on 06/02/07 23:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Has 80,000mi now. Owned since it had 35,000. A lifter spring broke at idle in a drive through at about 45,000. Gets 13.6mpg in town. Paint flaking off and cracking on its own, terrible. Had the recalls fixed. Both auto front door locks need a new actuator. Engine was pinging with eng light on so had to have intake pulled and cleaned due to clogged egr passages thanks to poor valve cover design in which I also had to buy the new type. Rear side defogger quit working. Interior lights used to come on on thier own. Replaced rear shocks. For the money I can't complain as all vehicles have their problems. Who knows what the previous owners put it through. I'd still drive it cross country if need be.

Not bad - could be better
By Howard on 05/21/07 11:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this car used in 2001. Have had only minor repair issues. Engine is powerful even when fully loaded and has been flawless. Great for hauling people, not stuff. Back seats don't fold down for additional storage room. They just sit there like lumps on a log. Not the nimblest at handling either.

Ford Windstar
By nyjetsus on 03/04/07 16:47 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Low mechanical quality makes this vehicle the worst Ford I have ever owned. Once factory warranty expired, the trouble began. Multiple breakdowns, including AC and transmission.

Ford is terrible
By David on 02/27/07 18:47 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Original transmission replaced at 38,000 miles, replacement transmission had to be replaced at 43,000 miles, then motor broke at 92,000 miles. I will now be junking vehicle, not worth $3,800 repair estimate. Maintenance was performed regularly.

Good Bye Ford, Hello Nissan
By jon on 07/26/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I purchased my 2000 Windstar used 4 years old with 42000 miles on it in the hopes it would last me several years and provide dependable service. I have spent far more maintaining this vehicle than I would have with another vehicle. The transmission is slipping (75,000 miles), struts need replacing, power door locks not working, fuel economy is 17 mpg (which is harder to swallow closer to $3/ gallon) and vehicle has always had problems with alignments. The worst part is that given the dependability and performance of the Windstar, I'll lose a significant amount of money today as I trade it in on a (yes) foreign car to take advantage of the Japanese ability to build dependable vehicles that hold their value.

50 years of Fords and this is the last
By My Last Ford on 06/16/06 07:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I'm 8,000 miles into the 3th transmission in 115,000 miles and I'm now getting "check transmission" errors. The original transmission died at 40,000, the second at 60,000 and number 3 at 112,000. The only other problems have been tie rod ends at 50k and a couple of engine modules at about 70,000. Ford paid for tranny #2 under their 36,000 replacement part warranty. The new error (the previous trannys died while pulling out into traffic with no warning) is likely to be a computer module that isn't part of the warrantied replacement tranny -- needless to say after $10,000 in repairs on a $25,000 car, this is the last Ford, despite a lifetime of being a Ford owner.

GREAT VAN - IF YOU BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY
By momof4 on 02/21/06 23:39 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Three new transmissions in less than 75k miles; first transmission 25k miles. Bought van brand new. Heavenly ride. Original transmission gave hints of failure at 10,000 miles -- dealership denied for another 15,000 miles until the whole transmission gave out while crossing highway. Ford, good training on the denial of transmission problems. Thanks for putting my life in danger! This may sound crazy, but I love the van even with 3 new transmissions in 4 years. Perhaps I’m not wise. 3 children alters thought process. Edmund's reviewers were dead on even the nit picky problems. A financial survival tip -- extended warranty absolutely without a doubt a serious necessity for Windstar owners -- Ford Direct) finances no interest.

Don't buy one
By Wes Smith on 10/28/05 09:30 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Since the warranty expired, I have spent an average of $1500 per year on non-routine mantenance. It has been a pain in the wallet. I expect to spend money on tires, brakes, etc. But I have had to have to much "other" work done on the van.

Ford junk- NEVER AGAIN!
By Mom of 3 on 10/28/05 07:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

From 55,000 - 76,000 miles replaced wheel bearings, electrical components, and ABS system. Also, the car stalled while driving, extremely dangerous. Car repairs totaled more then payments. I decided cut my losses and trade it. Dealer said transmission slipped and is worth $2800. After research I expected a loss but that was more than anticipated. So I went home defeated. I pulled into my driveway and it started to smoke and burn up. Lovely. I would like to buy American but Ford has made this American family poor so save time, aggravation, and money by NOT buying a Windstar. Sorry Ford, but there's a reason why the foreign car industry is doing so well, we're tired of being taken advantage of.