Used 2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Very Disapointed
By Cosgrove

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Purchased the car because we liked the styling, safety and size. Went for a loaded SEL because we planned to pay it off and keep it for 8-10 years. Suddenly, with 55k miles, the car just stops. It will only go into reverse. We have it towed to the shop and find out we need a new transmission for $2500! Looking through the internet I find dozens of people that have had the exact same problem. How Ford can state or even imply that they build quality vehicles is beyond me, this will be the very last Ford product I ever purchase. I want my money back!

Favorite Features

Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Harsh ride, noisy engine, depreciates rapidly, unreliable, undependable. Start from scratch, Ford, and learn how to build a car.

Windstar Sport
By jonsparham1

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We got a special deal on this one new when our 1995 Windstar blew a head gasket at 123000 miles, a common problem we found out too late and usually fatal. This is an introductory model, the Sport, . The van has had a few problems after 35k mile, only one serious problem: a broken valve spring that could have blown the engine; but other problems were not serious: new fuel pump, new set of tires, minor stuff, but not too frequently. It is out dated compared to the new Toyota and Honda or Nissan vans and any of these 3 are far better choices. WE feel very safe in Windstar, but it is not what I will buy next time for my wife and kids.

Favorite Features

Safety record, color...great red color!

Suggested Improvements

quieter engine, less expensive, more reliability overall.

Family Car
By dkturnage

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

Has been extremely nice on long trips. Very comfortable interior. I have two of four sons that are 6 ft 5 in and 6 ft 7 in and they could lean back in the captains chairs and sleep. Only problem was the transmission in which the dealer promptly fixed. Has been a very good reliable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Reclining captains chairs. The computer read-out of all kinds of stats especially the "change oil" stat. The dual sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

Ford could give a longer warranty. It would be nice if the rear cargo doors glass could open up to access the back instead of the whole door. Kind-of like the Explorers.

My Experience with the 2000 Windstar
By SJohnson

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

First of all, it has that noisy engine. Tapping of the valves. It will keep on running though. Very reliable even with the sounds. I have nearly 66000 on it now and it has no rattles inside. The kids are very comfortable in it. The sliding doors on both sides make it so nice for entering and exiting. It has great pick up as well as a good braking system.

Favorite Features

The body style is classy looking. The interior is very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for the back seat area.

Never Again
By Never Againnn

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I should have turned in the lease when the Ford Dealer would not warranty to 7/70,000. They knew it was a crappy vehicle.