2000 Ford Windstar Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Windstar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Sort Reviews by

NEVER LOOK INTO THIS CAR !!!!!
By EMH888

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

This van seemed like a good deal at first but at about 30,000 mi. It started burning oil profusly and I took it in for repairs. Ford said they havent expierienced this with the windstar before but I have hered of a few stories from others who say they too have had problems. Ford fixed some of the problem but i don't know what will go next.

Power & Polish
By Fergs

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

The 2000 Windstar has alot of horsepower and attractive styling.

Favorite Features

Dual power doors for rear passengers...radio continues to play after engine cut-off until driver opens door.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission "clunks" when moving out of park...more control over interior courtesy lights.

Pretty Goode
By brkluy

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I have had a 5 different windstars since 98. I get one for a company car and buy one for a personal car every few years. I have had very few problems. I currently own a 2000 and have a company van 2002. I put around 30K per year on my company van. I has never left me stranded. As far as my personal van, it has rarely been in the shop.

Favorite Features

sliding/adjustable rear seats. With out this feature, I could not get my dog's crate in the car with my entire family.

Suggested Improvements

Nicer center console.

Worst Vehicle I've ever owned
By DNR

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I purchased a used 2000 with 28,000mi. This vehicle has been in the shop 3 times in 6mo. I've had both CV joints replaced. The most recent repair was for a blown TRANSMISSION! Dealer was horrible and rude. In addition to the major problems, the cassette deck does'nt work and much of the insde and outside trim work is constantly falling off. I'm going back to a Japanese-made car, they still seem to care about quality.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Henry would be rolling over in his grave.

Two years in a windstar
By Steven Gross

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I find the windstar to very reliable and comfortable van. It handles all our needs (todays staton wagon). It is versitale to move large objects and still keep them secure.

Favorite Features

The windstar is very comfortable on long trips and daily use.

Suggested Improvements

More storage space or customiable passanger compartment.

Nice ride but lacks in quality
By Ronster

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This is a great family van. We have the two sliding doors with the captains chairs in the middle. Very comfortable even with 6 to 7 adults inside. Great for our family of five, with plenty of room. The main problem has been the reliability of the van. Transmission had to be replaced within 2 years and the new ones does not work perfect. Have takin it back but Ford says it is fine. Also, we have had two recalls on the vehicle which were fixed in one day. Sterio has had to be replaced (went bad) and seems to idle rough. Although it was a new van, both my wife and I do not think that it is a very reliable car. Ford should think more about building more reliable cars.

Favorite Features

Great family van. High crash scores and feels safe inside. Plenty of room with separate controls (front and back) for sterio and climate control. Plenty of room for our family of five.

Suggested Improvements

Quality is lacking in this vehicle. It has been to the dealer 10 times in three years, from a new transmission and sterio, recalls, and fixing small scratches from the steering wheel and mirrors. The dealer has been great, but 10 times is a little much.

Ford has many Transmission Problems.
By David lee

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This is my 5th Ford and 2nd Winstar. Ford is not reliable. Real gabbage. So many litte problem. Especially TRANSMISSION problems four of five cars.(two '93 Taurus within 24000 miles, '2000 Windstar 35000 miles, '96 Widstar 130000 miles). Other one('95 Taurus) calibers problem in the rear wheel just after 36000 miles cost me many hundreds miles and came out same problem again 90000 miles. Try not to buy Ford. Many Ford Rebate brought me to buy these cars but I was penny wise dollar stupid.

Very satisfied
By Velani

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I have had very ggod luck with Windstar LX van's. I have been using them for the past 4 years.

transmission failure at 50 k miles!
By Billy-Bob

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

This vehicle provides quite a bit of utility. Less "mini" than some of other vans on the market which means more space,but tighter turning, parking, etc. Lots of wind noise with this van. Been reliable until transmission completely failed at 49,000 (21 mos.). No warranty relief and massive repair bill.

Favorite Features

Drives nice, plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

Too much wind noise. Tinted windows are a must if no rear a.c. in warm climate.

35k in 2 yrs; so far so good
By jiminjax

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I've put 35k on the Windstar in just under 2 years with only 2 minor problems, a failed mass air sensor and failed liftgate struts, both replaced under warranty. It's built like a tank; when a Toyota Avalon bounced off the left front fender and wiped itself out, I had to look to find the damage. I've read about all the problems in earlier models, but I think they got it together by the 2000 model year.

Favorite Features

I've never had to remove the 3rd seat to carry anything, including furniture and 4x8 sheets of plywood (lift gate almost closes). Great on trips; you can plug in a 12 volt fridge and reach it from the driver's seat.

Suggested Improvements

Find a more ergonomical design for the liftgate handle, and straighten the fuel filler so gas pumps won't cut off. A dead pedal would be nice too. And please do something about those stupid $5 lego blocks that adjust to fit the garage door opener compartment!