Used 2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

STAY AWAY
By JWM

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Simply the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Bought with 38K and only have 50k now. I have replaced the front axle, rear shocks (twice), front shocks and struts, and sway bars and it still feels like we are surfing. I have also fixed the brake sensor (twice), rear brakes and rotors, power steering pump, various gaskets, and the transmission had to be rebuilt and left my family stranded on our vacation. Driving it home from having the transmission rebuilt, the check engine light came on again. The front seat belt doesn't work properly and the power switch for the front seat has been broken for about a year. Even with the extended, this van is costing us money. Please don't ever buy this van.

Favorite Features

None. This is a horrible van. Don't ever buy this van. Ford should be ashamed and embarrassed to have put this vehicle on the road. I will never purchase a Ford again in my life.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should stop building automobiles if this is the quality they will continue putting out. Most people seem to have the same complaints: transmission, power steering pump, terrible suspension, and electrical problems.

Buyer Beware!
By TheWizardOfAhhs

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

We bought this van in 2000. Intermittent electrical problems from day one and they could never fix it. Got 4 years and 38,800 miles out of it before the TRANSMISSION WENT OUT! Warranty was 3 years or 36K miles so Ford would not help us with the repair. They didn't disclose this until AFTER milking us for another $250 for them to diagnose that the transmission was out. (The car was towed in). Dealer wanted nearly $5K to replace. Fat chance!. Heck the van is not worth much more than that on the used market. We are in the market for a sedan, but will never buy another Ford Product. if you buy this van, follow dealer maintenance religiously and buy extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Dual sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holders need to be farther away from dash. They need to build a better transmission. Windshield reservoir leaks.

Windstar - Quality is Job none!
By Parents of Three

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought 2000 Windstar new. Day1, heard clunking transmission when shifting. Dealer said it's fine. At 54k miles, transmission died. I had original complaint documented. They gave us a break - still cost me $800. 5 minutes later, transmission died again. Cost $100 deductible plus other $125 transmission problem they said not related. Yeah right! At 63k miles the front spring broke. Cost $925 for 2 springs, alignment, etc. Had that back 3 days and the ABS/Brakes lights went on. Took it back - $1157 quote for "Modules." No way I'm paying them that. Dealer/Ford gave no other help. Please research before buying or get extended warranty. I'm trading for Sienna or Odyssey this weekend. Should not have so many problems at 63k miles.

Favorite Features

Dual air in back and front. A lot of room in this van.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should stand behind their vehicle and fix quality control issues. Check market share of American cars vs Nissan, Toyota, Honda. It's not just a coincidence US car share is going down, and those others are going up. We just don't want to fix our cars all the time.

It's been good for us.
By Famof4

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

We bought our van new when 0.9% financing mattered with a growing family. It went through 5 recalls in 2 years and had a few minor things that were covered by warranty but so far, knock on wood, we have had no major problems. We have changed oil every 3000 miles and rotated tires every 7000. At 48,000 miles we replaced the battery and tires and did the brakes at 55,000 miles. All things I consider standard wear and tear. It's not a beauty to many but to us it has been a very reliable vehicle. I would not buy another one because of resale and like another reviewer pointed out, the drivers seat is not very comfortable and there's not much leg room if you have long legs as I do.

Favorite Features

Roominess, handling, power features.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers seat position.

Never again Ford!
By Never again Ford

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I've owned since new. They call it Windstar for a reason. You can hear all the wind and road noise! Noisy engine. Paint came off hood. Roof paint cracked and had to be repainted. It shakes and shutters when turning if you press the gas pedal. Continues to roll after putting it in park (scary). I have 75,000 miles on it with no major mechanical problems. But from what I heard, there will be a transmission in the future. Stay away.

Favorite Features

Peeling paint.

Suggested Improvements

Try again, Ford. Too many people are complaining about the same problems. You should be ashamed to build a van like this one. Give everybody their money back!