2000 Ford Windstar Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Windstar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Sort Reviews by

Good van for the money...
By Calc

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Our Windstar LX with 37K miles is comfortable, has a strong engine (but alittle noisy), and has great crash test scores. Some people seem to have reliabilty problems, but so far the only thing to go wrong for us was a tie rod end in the front suspension. I would recommend this van to people on a budget looking for a good safe ride for there family. Also good for towing. If money is no object and you dont mind quirky styling, get the Honda Odyssey.

Favorite Features

Confort, power, styling, and safety record.

Suggested Improvements

How about a sport edition with larger diameter wheels and stiffer suspension? Back seat is way to heavy for 1 man to take in and out.

Never will own a ford again
By Miserable w/ a Ford

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

New Transmission at 50,000 miles--ford dealership was less then accomodating; sensor went bad that caused the van to constantly stall ; electrical problems with wire harness in drivers side door causes electric windows and door locks to malfunction; failed emissions test in Oct. 2002--must spend a minimum of $400 to fix; brake light stuck on when brakes depressessed had to replace brake light switch. I had an Expedition before this that was also full of problems. .

Favorite Features

My Nissan Maxima w/205,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

I will NEVER own another Ford, and suggest that anyone considering the purchase of any Ford vehicle to either get an extended warranty or plan or spending $3000 - $5000 to keep it running over the first 2 1/2 years of ownershipback to buying foreign.

Many mechanical problems
By f perez

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

A year after purchasing my Windstar was in the shop for over a month ( 5 different occasions) Once they sell it to you it is your problem. I have purchased 5 fords (4 taurus before this lemmon) I will NEVER buy Ford again. They have gone back to the 1970's with built in obsolesence! When I went to return the car on a lease return, all the told me was that I should go into another lease because I did not want to own a car with 40k mi because it will most likely break-down. No Thanks. 3 yrs 36k is too little Ford does not stand behind their product. I am going to shop Honda Toyota tomorrow. If you are considering this van DON'T!!!

Favorite Features

Lot's of nice gadgets, Interior is well laid out

Suggested Improvements

quality must be improved. From what I can tell Ford has lost many customers due to this model.

My Windstar
By Ron J

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

I really enjoy driving this Van. It is a very comfortable ride and the engine has good get up and go. The only drawbacks are the middle seats are too close to the doors, so it is difficult to get in the back(this was supposedly corrected in the 2002 model. I've had some minor problems(so far) with the electronic passanger sliding door and front passanger door lock. Otherwise, I love this Van.

Favorite Features

The dual power sliding doors is a blessing with 2 children.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they had a disappearing 3rd seat. Have side-sliding middle seats to allow better access to rear.

Good but could be better!
By winchesterp

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This is the 3rd minivan we have owned. The other two were Mercury Villagers. The Windstar is more trucklike in both ride and feel than the Villagers. It is also much roomier than the Villager, and the remote electric door opener feature is a nice touch. Also like the styling of the Windstar, and the dashboard is a little more ergonomic than the Mercury.

Favorite Features

4 doors are awesome! Am also fond of the power the Windstar has. While not much peppier than the previous minivans, it seems to have more pulling power, and perfroms better when fully loaded with kids and goods!

Suggested Improvements

Wish it was a litte 1)quieter and 2)a little better fuel economy. I have family members that have owned Caravans, Montanas, Aerostars, Ventures and Siennas. I'd put the Windstar against any of them for overall quality and value.

Despite what others say
By Mike15

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

I have had my Windstar for nearly 3 years now and the only thing I had to do was replace the tires and brake pads. That was due to normal wear. I have had a very pleasurable experience with my Windstar. I plan to keep it and of course maintain it for many years. I do expect things to wear out over time like maybe the transmission after 130,000 miles like another fellow "complained" about, but it happens to every vehicle.

Favorite Features

More power than expected for a mini-van

Ford doesn't back up product
By gregvicwill

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

This is our second(and last) Windstar minivan.Our vehicle has been plagued by a pervasive and enigmatic problem involving the complicated traction control and theft deterrent system. This problem causes the vehicle to fail to start up at random intervals leaving us stranded. Ford seems helpless to find or fix this problem despite over a month total time in the shop since purchase. Two Ford engineers have examined the vehicle,each in turn declared that the problem was found,reproduced and repaired,however the problem continues to this day. Trade in day! and not on a Ford product.

Favorite Features

I have enjoyed the remote opening sliding passenger doors. The backup sensors are also nice. The television and VCR combo has been invaluable on long trips,but cheaper add on versions are available.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic or remote opening rear hatch would be nice. Ford needs to concentrate on building a vehicle that can be repaired.

2nd Windstar and LOVING it!
By wmhgatesiv

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This is our second Windstar and just wanted to tell everyone it is a pleasure owning it. Great for travel, great for hauling things, great for comfort, just great!!

Check tran. before warranty expires!
By poshay

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Just put $1500 into trans. Like others was told the rolling and clunk were normal until the warranty expired 6,000 mi. ago. I will never buy another Ford product after this experience.

Favorite Features

none really

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to look at building a product that last beyond 36,000 miles.

Does the Job
By MW

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

We have had a good experience with the windstar ( our first minivan) The seats are removable, though heavy, but make for very versitile use of space. Our three kids and the dog have plenty of space and still room for luggage. We havent had any significant problems that weren't addressed promptly. The side power doors are great, thought the pass side door often moves slowly. We only have 38K miles on it and I hear the horror stories about the trans. but none for us (knock wood) My wife and I swore we would never get a minivan, but this has been the best, and most practical vehicle we have owned.

Favorite Features

Auto doors, nice ride, versitle seating, good space

Suggested Improvements

Flat fold third seat or less cumbersome seats to make seating adjustments less of a back breaker, poor resell value