2000 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Bad Van!
By Jamies on 03/05/10 20:28 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

My husband and I bought a 2000 Windstar SEL before the birth of our 2nd child in 06 and have had nothing but trouble with it. Had to replace something with the cruise control and brake fluid which I'm told now is a recall, a new transmission, the doors sometimes don't close right, it makes a creaking noise when I turn left or right and now it is making a knocking noise and the check engine light is on. My husband liked the looks of it but I now tell him looks aren't everything!

2000 Windstar
By Skip on 06/29/09 07:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

To many repairs as it got older. Hard to find a reasonable repair shop and dealerships sometimes try to sell more services than needed.

Can't wait for the Sledge hammer
By zulubuff on 01/08/09 07:34 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

This car was nice whe we first bought it. First signs of problems came when the check engine light came on and has remained on for 7 years. After 1 year, the paint started chipping. 6 years later, it is nicknamed brown top because of rust. Transmission is bad, replacing brake fluid is hard, cup holder fell off, radio no longer works. Indicator for lights and washer fluid come on for no reason. When it is warm, the guages dart around, so you never know how fast you are going or how much gas you have. Driver's side wiper is junk. Seatbelt didn't latch and had to be replaced. Heater/AC control replaced. Idle is rough, and when I turn or park, every looks because it is so loud.

No Problems
By No problem on 08/21/07 18:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought it new in early 2001. Wife's car she's a lead foot. Very few problems, no engine or tranmission problems. Sliding doors need adjusting very couple years. We put 107500 miles in 6.5 years. Never broke down, if they still made them I'd buy another. We never missed an oil change or other service.

Never buy a Ford!
By Disgusted on 04/17/07 13:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Nice vehicle in terms of looks, comfort, safety and driveability. But it has been costly to maintain. Needed new tie rods, intake manifold developed a leak, new rotors, AC/heater control failed, blown head gasket. Over $8000 in repairs with 66000 miles. I have owned three Fords and all had major mechanical problems. That's three strikes in my book. I will never buy another Ford. I looked at an Odyssey but wanted to buy American. It's a national disgrace that they can't build a better vehicle.

Two lemons to make sour lemonade
By Gary on 03/28/07 17:15 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

The Windstar SEL was well equipped and it offered some means of comfort and style. The exterior looks very appealing, stylish and a real head turn kind of vehicle. Truly an amazing color and great color coordination plum and gray in color. Adequate power for a minivan and very responsive. But the transmission stinks! I went through two Windstars, both gave me transmission problems. The first Windstar was an SE version and it was rather roomy, as a matter of fact the 1995 SE was roomier than the 2000 SEL though it was an army green and gray I got used to it. The 95' SE was a joke as far as handling and power. Since the Windstar had such a great safety rating I bough another big mistake.

REALLY BAD DECISION!
By liz on 03/08/07 10:36 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought this car used at about 3yrs/36k miles. Checked all reviews for this year and they seemed great for reliability. After hitting close to 75k miles this car is a money pit. The emission control light keeps coming on and my mechanic can't seem to fix it. Every week it goes back with a different problem fixed related to this light. I am starting to feel the trans slipping...just great! Just what I need. At the time I bought it, I couldn't afford a used Honda minivan, now with all that I've spent in repairs and aggravation I could (and should) have purchased that Honda. There has to be some type of recall...this is ridiculous!

Never Again!
By KVriezen on 06/15/06 17:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

I bought this car from a dealership with 23K miles on it 3.5 yrs. ago. We rolled our '96 Windstar (which had problems) after hitting a patch of MN ice and T-boning another van. Because we walked away with only a few bruises and scratches (living to tell about the 5-star crash rating), I bought another Windstar. Stupid me. At 97K the O/D light & the Check Transmission lights came on. It seemed to be OK if the car was cold, but after about 45 miles it would come on. It also started skipping gears. After three trips to the mechanic (whom we have used for years) he says there is a tranny leak and we need a new one ($2K). He first thought it was a stuck solenoid. NOT! No more Fords for us! EVER!

Best pre-owned value for your money
By Mobin Akhtar on 01/31/06 15:32 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

We bought the vehicle pre-owned with 80K miles on it. Primarily we wanted something bigger than the Honda CR-V that we traded for this van. My family was used to the Expedition we had before that so from the CR-V's perspective, this was a pleasant upgrade. Also this model had leather, wood, etc. and automatic rear doors that help us a lot with a 5 year old and a 7 year old. Car has been nothing but comfort for us. The only work ever done on it other than routine oil/tires and consumables has been a dead battery (expected at this age) for $50, a top engine seal vacuum leak @ $140.00 and thats it! Exceptional for a FORD vehicle.

I love this van
By wesleysgranny on 11/01/05 22:35 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

I bought this van with 60,000 miles on it. I had some minor work done and have not had a single problem since.