Used 2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Confortable ride
By paulnbedford

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van used back around 2004 with about 54,000 miles on it and I have to say it's surprised me for a Ford. it's actually be a reliable van. It's had the usual things, tires, brakes and the odd sensor, but over all it has been a good vehicle and never left me stranded. Like most Fords though it does seem to be plagued with recalls and electrical issues, now which I am starting to suffer from. Locks not starting to work and gauges starting to go crazy on me. And from online research it looks to be faulty soldering on the backside of the cluster. It does have 190k plus on it now though so it can't stay perfect forever and people can't expect these cars to stay that way.

Very comfortable ride. I took out the third row seating not long after buying the van so I don't now how it is back there, but everywhere else is comfy and I will miss it when I eventually have to get rid of this van. I can haul just about anything in it also and not worry about it getting wet from the weather also. Have picked up drywall, 8 ft., 10 ft. deck boards, a new water heater, plants and several unnecessary things from yard sales with it also.

I think the newer Freestars had/have the drop down rear seats, but that would have been a great feature in this van as the rear seats weigh a ton and can be hard to get in and out.

Just Traded it In!!
By nicholez

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I just traded in my Windstar (amazingly got 2K for it!) and glad to be rid of it. The power door was great when my kids were younger, but now I really don't need all the extra space. The extra back seat was nice for certain times when we had extra passengers. I purchased the vehicle with 77k miles on it and over 5 years, only put about 30K on. The emissions system light has been on since I owned it and recently, the ABS light has been on for no reason. The front passenger door will not unlock with the power lock and occasionally the sliding door will not work. The rear defrost stopped working and air will only blow out of the defrost vents. Glad to be rid of the vehicle.

Roomy, lots of leg room and love the extra seating. Lots of storage compartments. Power sliding door was nice.

better cup holders!!! my coffee spilled out everytime until we rigged our own cupholder in the back of the center console. also, I have heard several windstar owners with the emissions light always on. My mechanic could never find a problem and this made it difficult for trade in value!!!

Should have known
By Robb

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This was my only new vehicle in my life, and only bought it because my previous Ford Aerostar had a warped head problem so Ford offered me $4k off a new vehicle. That with "invoice pricing" made it as cheap as many newer used ones (sticker was $26k;paid $19K). Transmission was always 'clunky' and had it replaced within a year. At 30k it needed a new rack & pinion and power steering pump. Then had some good years, but always had noisy engine, clunky transmission, noisy front end (they can't find any problem), and terrible mileage (never over 15 no matter what). In 2009 had stalling problem they couldn't resolve. Then the brake/cruise recall. Now the engine is rattling, so surely a $1,000+ repair

looks nice inside and out

mileage; engine and tranny; customer service - I had the repairs done 2 months prior when they had the brake/cruise control recall. They wanted $600 for a new cruise module but I got one from a junkyard for $50. When the recall notice came I asked for a new module but no deal, even denied my $50!

Still works well
By Joe

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van new in 2000. Have maitained van according to manual (mostly). This van has been to FL from WI and back several times, to SD pulling a camper 2 times, KY and TN twice and is used daily around home. It currently has 201,600 + miles on it and is starting to show it's age. We now have some electrical issues with the cruise control, ABS and gauges. Overall this van has been very reliable. No transmission problems eventhough we pull a pop-up camper with it and no other major issues. We have replaced struts, shocks, tierod ends, brakes and an alternator but I consider these items "maintence" because parts do wear out. Wife now has a 2002 Windstar and I plan on driving oldone

Reliable, cheap transportation. I hated it when my wife brought it home but I grew to love the reliability and practicality of the mini van. I even named her Ethel.

Better handling, It drives like a "mini van". Any breeze at all makes it wander around the road forcing me to constantly correct.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By irishmafia

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

What a piece of junk can't begin to list all problems got it w 75k 3 months later new tranny which still had a problem that took months to fix who's the genius that came up with no locks on the passenger side? ABS light on since I bought it can't locate a problem, many emissions issues, heater broke,cruise broke, blows fuses when plugging GPS or cell phone in,driver seat needs to be replaced springs coming through I weigh 175, probably put 10k in car since I bought it!

lots of room power locks power windows with all the new parts still running at 151k

transmission recall, two door locks, more cushioning in seats, driver seat belt doesn't retract properly