2000 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Just Traded it In!!
By nicholez on 02/22/12 11:46 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I just traded in my Windstar (amazingly got 2K for it!) and glad to be rid of it. The power door was great when my kids were younger, but now I really don't need all the extra space. The extra back seat was nice for certain times when we had extra passengers. I purchased the vehicle with 77k miles on it and over 5 years, only put about 30K on. The emissions system light has been on since I owned it and recently, the ABS light has been on for no reason. The front passenger door will not unlock with the power lock and occasionally the sliding door will not work. The rear defrost stopped working and air will only blow out of the defrost vents. Glad to be rid of the vehicle.

Should have known
By Robb on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This was my only new vehicle in my life, and only bought it because my previous Ford Aerostar had a warped head problem so Ford offered me $4k off a new vehicle. That with "invoice pricing" made it as cheap as many newer used ones (sticker was $26k;paid $19K). Transmission was always 'clunky' and had it replaced within a year. At 30k it needed a new rack & pinion and power steering pump. Then had some good years, but always had noisy engine, clunky transmission, noisy front end (they can't find any problem), and terrible mileage (never over 15 no matter what). In 2009 had stalling problem they couldn't resolve. Then the brake/cruise recall. Now the engine is rattling, so surely a $1,000+ repair

Still works well
By Joe on 05/12/10 13:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van new in 2000. Have maitained van according to manual (mostly). This van has been to FL from WI and back several times, to SD pulling a camper 2 times, KY and TN twice and is used daily around home. It currently has 201,600 + miles on it and is starting to show it's age. We now have some electrical issues with the cruise control, ABS and gauges. Overall this van has been very reliable. No transmission problems eventhough we pull a pop-up camper with it and no other major issues. We have replaced struts, shocks, tierod ends, brakes and an alternator but I consider these items "maintence" because parts do wear out. Wife now has a 2002 Windstar and I plan on driving oldone

Fix Or Repair Daily
By irishmafia on 04/14/10 21:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

What a piece of junk can't begin to list all problems got it w 75k 3 months later new tranny which still had a problem that took months to fix who's the genius that came up with no locks on the passenger side? ABS light on since I bought it can't locate a problem, many emissions issues, heater broke,cruise broke, blows fuses when plugging GPS or cell phone in,driver seat needs to be replaced springs coming through I weigh 175, probably put 10k in car since I bought it!

Run away quickly!
By irishmafia on 04/07/10 22:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Worst car ever FORD fix or repair daily very apt for this piece of junk. What hasn't been fixed? Transmission went at 100k and had it back for months (new not rebuilt trans) trying to find out why it kept slipping -dealer finally found broken part in the housing, all types of emission repairs, starter sounds like its going today, many unique repairs needed, blower motor gone heat/ac electronic temp control went winter without any heat lousy gas mileage drivers seat springs cushioning gone at 140k cruise control stopped working fuses blow regularly electric rear window broken ABS light on since I bought it can't find anything wrong with brakes some genius designed only one door w/key

It Has Been Great
By Annwyn on 04/04/10 21:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought the Windstar with 55,000 miles on it. Changed the oil and maintained it regularly but stopped going to Ford! Added 100000 miles of hard driving and lots of long trips. Brakes changed, transmission flushed on time, rotated tires regularly and would say this baby has been just what we needed. It has gone over dirt roads and been hit by a tree but has stood up to it all. Main problem? Rust around the bottom of the doors but then it was parked outside near the ocean and now in upstate NY. If the Blue Book didn't list the value under $400 I would put the $1300 in it that is recommended (including trans flush and new tire) and roll on.

Bad Van!
By Jamies on 03/05/10 20:28 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

My husband and I bought a 2000 Windstar SEL before the birth of our 2nd child in 06 and have had nothing but trouble with it. Had to replace something with the cruise control and brake fluid which I'm told now is a recall, a new transmission, the doors sometimes don't close right, it makes a creaking noise when I turn left or right and now it is making a knocking noise and the check engine light is on. My husband liked the looks of it but I now tell him looks aren't everything!

2000 Windstar
By Skip on 06/29/09 07:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

To many repairs as it got older. Hard to find a reasonable repair shop and dealerships sometimes try to sell more services than needed.

Awesome
By Happy on 05/11/09 18:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

The title says it all. I LOVE this car! This has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. In nine years of ownership, only one thing has gone wrong: the passenger side door lock has been disabled. This is my second Windstar, as I bought one in 1995. Both were very reliable. These minivans are so comfortable, reliable, efficient, and stylish, that I wouldn't trade one for anything!

The Junker
By Tibz28 on 01/25/09 16:09 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan

My family bought this car a a means of getting the family around with 5 people in my family we need the van. At frist it wasn't that bad. It made it from Michigan to Flordia and back when we bought it. Then about 3 years later we went on a trip to the Grand Canyon. Never made it though cause the trans started to go. Trans has been rebuilt twice. None of the doors lock. Have had new shocks put on about five times and it needs a new tie rod. Brakes work good. Has a load of electrical problems. In the end my parents ended up letting the van sit for about a year before they gave it to me for my frist car. I rolled the van and yet it stills runs, so the body is very durable. Is built like a tank.