Used 2000 Ford Windstar LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

It Has Been Great
By Annwyn

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought the Windstar with 55,000 miles on it. Changed the oil and maintained it regularly but stopped going to Ford! Added 100000 miles of hard driving and lots of long trips. Brakes changed, transmission flushed on time, rotated tires regularly and would say this baby has been just what we needed. It has gone over dirt roads and been hit by a tree but has stood up to it all. Main problem? Rust around the bottom of the doors but then it was parked outside near the ocean and now in upstate NY. If the Blue Book didn't list the value under $400 I would put the $1300 in it that is recommended (including trans flush and new tire) and roll on.

Favorite Features

The ride! Smooth. AC, and all else just fine.

Suggested Improvements

Make a slightly smaller version. No longer need the third row.

Run As Fast As You Can!
By Angry Dad

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought used in 2003 with 54k on it. I have paid double for this van. In five years I have rebuilt the entire steering system, including springs and struts. The tranny went out at 105K. The intake seals had to be redone. Every time I get my annual inspection it costs me $500-$700. The cost of inspection is only $65. Parts are expensive and do not last. This van has no battery or alternator lamps. Van will just die if you have an electrical problem. Left me stranded on vacation with my 3 kids on the highway. Now at 8 years old, the rocker panels and doors are rusted out. The side of my van looks like swiss cheese. I was advised to just drive it til it dies. Not worth repairing.

Favorite Features

Color (Sage Green), comfortable and OK power.

Suggested Improvements

Built better products. Ford thought they could fool people with the all new Ford Freestar in 2005. Same crappy van just different lights and dash. Ford just needs to go away. Every Ford I have owned stunk (Fairmont, Escort, Tempo, Windstar). Enough said.

Why I will never buy from Ford again.
By supremecourt101

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Overall, this is a terrible car. The brakes are bad and the car is so heavy that it takes a long time to stop. The interior is uncomfortable and looks cheap, and everything breaks. I have had to spend over 15,000 dollars on repairs.

Favorite Features

If I had to pick one, it would be the safety and the availability of side airbags.

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY. You should not have to double the price you payed for your car because of repairs.

Don't buy a ford!
By NOFORDS

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We purchased our Windstar used, 1 year old less than 20,000 miles. As soon as the warranty wore out the problems began. The transmission went out at about 65,000 miles. The heater and defroster broke. The door locks no longer work. The rubber also came off from around the sliding doors. There is also a problem with the wiring, causing dash lights to come on when there may or may not be a problem. We take very good care of our cars and have never experienced anything so terrible. It is currently not running, were not sure why this time, but we are not putting another penny into this piece of junk. It hasn't moved from our driveway in 7 months. And Ford wonders why business has been so bad?!!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully, Ford goes out of business.

Ok in the long haul
By Jeff

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought LX with 52K on it. Experienced numerous small issues at around 70K such as tie rod ends, oil seals, EEC sensors, paint pealing on door trim and broken cheap interior parts. After 80K never another issue. Serviced regularly including tranny. Just sold with 142k on it and it is still running strong. Mileage was 18- 21. Alwyas cupped front tires no matter what.

Favorite Features

safety ratings

Suggested Improvements

Fix the quality issues and sloppy ride.