2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
It Has Been Great
By Annwyn on 04/04/10 21:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought the Windstar with 55,000 miles on it. Changed the oil and maintained it regularly but stopped going to Ford! Added 100000 miles of hard driving and lots of long trips. Brakes changed, transmission flushed on time, rotated tires regularly and would say this baby has been just what we needed. It has gone over dirt roads and been hit by a tree but has stood up to it all. Main problem? Rust around the bottom of the doors but then it was parked outside near the ocean and now in upstate NY. If the Blue Book didn't list the value under $400 I would put the $1300 in it that is recommended (including trans flush and new tire) and roll on.

Run As Fast As You Can!
By Angry Dad on 11/08/08 10:08 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought used in 2003 with 54k on it. I have paid double for this van. In five years I have rebuilt the entire steering system, including springs and struts. The tranny went out at 105K. The intake seals had to be redone. Every time I get my annual inspection it costs me $500-$700. The cost of inspection is only $65. Parts are expensive and do not last. This van has no battery or alternator lamps. Van will just die if you have an electrical problem. Left me stranded on vacation with my 3 kids on the highway. Now at 8 years old, the rocker panels and doors are rusted out. The side of my van looks like swiss cheese. I was advised to just drive it til it dies. Not worth repairing.

Why I will never buy from Ford again.
By supremecourt101 on 04/13/08 19:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Overall, this is a terrible car. The brakes are bad and the car is so heavy that it takes a long time to stop. The interior is uncomfortable and looks cheap, and everything breaks. I have had to spend over 15,000 dollars on repairs.

Don't buy a ford!
By NOFORDS on 02/22/08 21:31 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We purchased our Windstar used, 1 year old less than 20,000 miles. As soon as the warranty wore out the problems began. The transmission went out at about 65,000 miles. The heater and defroster broke. The door locks no longer work. The rubber also came off from around the sliding doors. There is also a problem with the wiring, causing dash lights to come on when there may or may not be a problem. We take very good care of our cars and have never experienced anything so terrible. It is currently not running, were not sure why this time, but we are not putting another penny into this piece of junk. It hasn't moved from our driveway in 7 months. And Ford wonders why business has been so bad?!!

Ok in the long haul
By Jeff on 12/19/07 19:41 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought LX with 52K on it. Experienced numerous small issues at around 70K such as tie rod ends, oil seals, EEC sensors, paint pealing on door trim and broken cheap interior parts. After 80K never another issue. Serviced regularly including tranny. Just sold with 142k on it and it is still running strong. Mileage was 18- 21. Alwyas cupped front tires no matter what.

I like it so far
By kbarno on 07/18/06 19:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I used to own a 1995 Ford Aerostar with 220,000 miles & sold it to a friend. He has done minimal work to it and it's still running. So I bought a Windstar. The washer fluid sprayer on the back window doesn't work, and I've had to replace a windshield due to a rock ding. It needs the plugs done but that's expected at 112,000 miles; other than that I'm happy. The clunky noise in the tranny seems to be a normal Ford thing. The Aerostar sounded like that for years and at the mileage it had, the tranny still ran strong. Overall I hope to have the same luck with the Windstar, because at this time I'm happy with it.

comfortable, yet unreliable.
By Roman on 04/19/06 14:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Well, I bought this car with 75K on it and put 6000 miles on it within 3 months. When I bought it I didn't know that transmission slips @ 65-75 m/hr. I had to push gas and the problem seemed to go away, then it would do this again (probably transmission, I don't know). Also EGR censor went bad - another $75, easy to change though. Engine is strong, yet seemed to leak some oil, very little. Overall it's a very comfortable ride, dual air, dual sliding doors, tinted windows, alloy wheels, exterior design is pretty good for that year. I wish they could improve the quality, other than that it's an ok experience. Quality Ford, when you improve the quality?

Steady Vehicle
By oldcrewjock on 04/16/06 17:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Generally a good vehicle, however there have been nagging issues. There was an issue with the steering column (fluid leak), the cruise control went out a 80K miles. It is a bit of a gas pig (17.5 town/21 hwy), now that gas is over $2.00/gal it is the last of the three I own to be used. The ability to switch climate control to rear is a nice feature. Used to tow a large pop-up camper- performed well. Lots of power, though could have more low end torque. Transmission tends to be a little clunky.

Expensive to repair
By tony on 10/03/05 16:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We bought ours used with 36,000 miles on it. We have had it almost 4 years and have driven an additional 24,000 and have been fairly satisfied with it, until now. We had small drips in our driveway, so we took it in to the local Ford dealer. Turns out that it needs a new rack & pinion and a transmission rebuild. Apparently you have to take the engine completely out to get the transmission out. Our extended warranty ran out in June. Total repair cost $4,000. We have had some annoying electrical problems (power locks). Don't lose the transponder key ... it's over $100 to program a new one.

Another unhappy owner
By Jimohio on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought this because of the safety issues, great dealership and good price. However, this has turned out to be one of the worst cars I have owned. It was in the shop so much that I started to wait on the minor things so that I could get several things fixed with one trip. It started with the power window controls, twice on the drivers side and once on the passenger side being replaced. Then came rotors, (3 sets), air conditioning controls, new transmission, new intake manifold, new tie rod ends, leak in the rear floor seat mounts, tailgate pistons, power steering pump. The interior lights and seat belt chime come on at will, muffler hanger and others.