2000 Ford Windstar 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

2000 Windstar Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
The Junker
By Tibz28

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

My family bought this car a a means of getting the family around with 5 people in my family we need the van. At frist it wasn't that bad. It made it from Michigan to Flordia and back when we bought it. Then about 3 years later we went on a trip to the Grand Canyon. Never made it though cause the trans started to go. Trans has been rebuilt twice. None of the doors lock. Have had new shocks put on about five times and it needs a new tie rod. Brakes work good. Has a load of electrical problems. In the end my parents ended up letting the van sit for about a year before they gave it to me for my frist car. I rolled the van and yet it stills runs, so the body is very durable. Is built like a tank.

Favorite Features

The durablity of the body. We are going to use it in a private demo derby.

Suggested Improvements

The trans and electrical and the doors all need to be fixed badly

Don't buy a Windstar
By Mari

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

Like some others here, we had to replace the transmission within the first couple of years. Van has 68K and needs ANOTHER transmission! Hello! Problems with side door, electrical, mileage only 14 with plenty of highway driving, expensive to repair things like small bumper dings (can't they design bumpers that don't cost 1800 to fix?). Like rubber bumpers or something?

Favorite Features

Can't think of any. Too annoyed. Am shopping for another vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Invent unbreakable bumpers for busy distracted moms. Fix the transmission problem already - what is wrong with your engineers? How many folks have to complain?

Piece of junk
By Shelly M.

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

I purchased my 2000 Windstar used in 2003 and it has been nothing but trouble from day one. I have had to replace the breaks at least twice a year sometimes every 3 to 4 months. In 2/05 I had to put a new engine in it and 10/05 the engine blew again and the transmission also went out. The sad thing is that I owe too much on it to just let it go. I have a vehicle that I have to pay for every month and can't drive it! I love throwing away my money on something that is not reliable at all! I have had numerous problems with the power windows and locks. Ford needs to back it's products better. Money down the drain!

Favorite Features

Nothing! There isn't anything good about this vehicle. It is a money pit! Ford is in a win win situation while the consumers get take advantage of!

Suggested Improvements

Recall the whole darn vehicle. Don't put the same type of engine or transmission back into the vans when you know they area bad!

Buyer Beware!
By TheWizardOfAhhs

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

We bought this van in 2000. Intermittent electrical problems from day one and they could never fix it. Got 4 years and 38,800 miles out of it before the TRANSMISSION WENT OUT! Warranty was 3 years or 36K miles so Ford would not help us with the repair. They didn't disclose this until AFTER milking us for another $250 for them to diagnose that the transmission was out. (The car was towed in). Dealer wanted nearly $5K to replace. Fat chance!. Heck the van is not worth much more than that on the used market. We are in the market for a sedan, but will never buy another Ford Product. if you buy this van, follow dealer maintenance religiously and buy extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Dual sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holders need to be farther away from dash. They need to build a better transmission. Windshield reservoir leaks.

It's been good for us.
By Famof4

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

We bought our van new when 0.9% financing mattered with a growing family. It went through 5 recalls in 2 years and had a few minor things that were covered by warranty but so far, knock on wood, we have had no major problems. We have changed oil every 3000 miles and rotated tires every 7000. At 48,000 miles we replaced the battery and tires and did the brakes at 55,000 miles. All things I consider standard wear and tear. It's not a beauty to many but to us it has been a very reliable vehicle. I would not buy another one because of resale and like another reviewer pointed out, the drivers seat is not very comfortable and there's not much leg room if you have long legs as I do.

Favorite Features

Roominess, handling, power features.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers seat position.

Happy Aloha with FORD!
By stevehawaii

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

I've had this van for over 4 years now (42K miles). Just a few problems, but nothing I would consider major. During third year sliding doors would open on their own or would not stay closed - found out that was due to needing a new battery. After replacing, no more problems with doors. At 36K, power windows went out (about 3 months between them, both front). Just after the warranty! Mechanically, has been sound. Love it. Love the entertainment center and the reverse sensing, both are must haves. Dual A/C is fabulous and still ice cold after being run every day for over 4 years in the hot Hawaiian sun. Split sound system is a godsend as well; kids have video in back, we have music up front.

Favorite Features

REVERSE SENSING! Entertainment center. Dual A/C. Storage compartments for anything and everything you can think of. Dual sliding doors are fabulous when hands are full or you just want to click them open early to let them steamy hot air out before you get in.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to work on better electrical systems. Leather seating and the carpets are nice, BUT the plastic molding inside is CHEESEY!

Family Car
By dkturnage

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

Has been extremely nice on long trips. Very comfortable interior. I have two of four sons that are 6 ft 5 in and 6 ft 7 in and they could lean back in the captains chairs and sleep. Only problem was the transmission in which the dealer promptly fixed. Has been a very good reliable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Reclining captains chairs. The computer read-out of all kinds of stats especially the "change oil" stat. The dual sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

Ford could give a longer warranty. It would be nice if the rear cargo doors glass could open up to access the back instead of the whole door. Kind-of like the Explorers.

My Experience with the 2000 Windstar
By SJohnson

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

First of all, it has that noisy engine. Tapping of the valves. It will keep on running though. Very reliable even with the sounds. I have nearly 66000 on it now and it has no rattles inside. The kids are very comfortable in it. The sliding doors on both sides make it so nice for entering and exiting. It has great pick up as well as a good braking system.

Favorite Features

The body style is classy looking. The interior is very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for the back seat area.

What a mistake!
By Derron Winfrey

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

This vehicle has been nothing but problems from the word go. At 25000 miles we were putting on new tie rods, then again by 50000. Which is right after we replaced the transmission at 45000. Wiper motor brakes at 60000 along with passenger door locks, power sterring making terrible griding noise and diver side power seat has been repaired 3 times. Spark plugs have been replaced twice. We have 65000 on this car and I'm affraid to let my wife take it out of town. Thank God for the extended warranty!

Favorite Features

We like the enterior room and the comfort of the drive.

Suggested Improvements

The only way this car could be improved would be to be built by another manufacturer that actually places quality working parts into their cars. We will not ever by another Ford product!

Family car
By Mela

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

Great family car. It has all the features we looked for, without spending too much. Very convenient for us that have two babies using car seats.

Favorite Features

Two sliding back doors allow easy and fast access to back seats, regardless how old or young is the passenger.

Suggested Improvements

Driving experience. Can be smoother.