2000 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
The Junker
By Tibz28 on 01/25/09 16:09 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

My family bought this car a a means of getting the family around with 5 people in my family we need the van. At frist it wasn't that bad. It made it from Michigan to Flordia and back when we bought it. Then about 3 years later we went on a trip to the Grand Canyon. Never made it though cause the trans started to go. Trans has been rebuilt twice. None of the doors lock. Have had new shocks put on about five times and it needs a new tie rod. Brakes work good. Has a load of electrical problems. In the end my parents ended up letting the van sit for about a year before they gave it to me for my frist car. I rolled the van and yet it stills runs, so the body is very durable. Is built like a tank.

Don't buy a Windstar
By Mari on 10/19/05 02:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

Like some others here, we had to replace the transmission within the first couple of years. Van has 68K and needs ANOTHER transmission! Hello! Problems with side door, electrical, mileage only 14 with plenty of highway driving, expensive to repair things like small bumper dings (can't they design bumpers that don't cost 1800 to fix?). Like rubber bumpers or something?

Piece of junk
By Shelly M. on 10/06/05 17:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

I purchased my 2000 Windstar used in 2003 and it has been nothing but trouble from day one. I have had to replace the breaks at least twice a year sometimes every 3 to 4 months. In 2/05 I had to put a new engine in it and 10/05 the engine blew again and the transmission also went out. The sad thing is that I owe too much on it to just let it go. I have a vehicle that I have to pay for every month and can't drive it! I love throwing away my money on something that is not reliable at all! I have had numerous problems with the power windows and locks. Ford needs to back it's products better. Money down the drain!

Buyer Beware!
By TheWizardOfAhhs on 06/25/05 02:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

We bought this van in 2000. Intermittent electrical problems from day one and they could never fix it. Got 4 years and 38,800 miles out of it before the TRANSMISSION WENT OUT! Warranty was 3 years or 36K miles so Ford would not help us with the repair. They didn't disclose this until AFTER milking us for another $250 for them to diagnose that the transmission was out. (The car was towed in). Dealer wanted nearly $5K to replace. Fat chance!. Heck the van is not worth much more than that on the used market. We are in the market for a sedan, but will never buy another Ford Product. if you buy this van, follow dealer maintenance religiously and buy extended warranty.

It's been good for us.
By Famof4 on 06/08/05 22:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

We bought our van new when 0.9% financing mattered with a growing family. It went through 5 recalls in 2 years and had a few minor things that were covered by warranty but so far, knock on wood, we have had no major problems. We have changed oil every 3000 miles and rotated tires every 7000. At 48,000 miles we replaced the battery and tires and did the brakes at 55,000 miles. All things I consider standard wear and tear. It's not a beauty to many but to us it has been a very reliable vehicle. I would not buy another one because of resale and like another reviewer pointed out, the drivers seat is not very comfortable and there's not much leg room if you have long legs as I do.

Happy Aloha with FORD!
By stevehawaii on 12/07/04 01:29 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

I've had this van for over 4 years now (42K miles). Just a few problems, but nothing I would consider major. During third year sliding doors would open on their own or would not stay closed - found out that was due to needing a new battery. After replacing, no more problems with doors. At 36K, power windows went out (about 3 months between them, both front). Just after the warranty! Mechanically, has been sound. Love it. Love the entertainment center and the reverse sensing, both are must haves. Dual A/C is fabulous and still ice cold after being run every day for over 4 years in the hot Hawaiian sun. Split sound system is a godsend as well; kids have video in back, we have music up front.

Family Car
By dkturnage on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

Has been extremely nice on long trips. Very comfortable interior. I have two of four sons that are 6 ft 5 in and 6 ft 7 in and they could lean back in the captains chairs and sleep. Only problem was the transmission in which the dealer promptly fixed. Has been a very good reliable vehicle.

My Experience with the 2000 Windstar
By SJohnson on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

First of all, it has that noisy engine. Tapping of the valves. It will keep on running though. Very reliable even with the sounds. I have nearly 66000 on it now and it has no rattles inside. The kids are very comfortable in it. The sliding doors on both sides make it so nice for entering and exiting. It has great pick up as well as a good braking system.

What a mistake!
By Derron Winfrey on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

This vehicle has been nothing but problems from the word go. At 25000 miles we were putting on new tie rods, then again by 50000. Which is right after we replaced the transmission at 45000. Wiper motor brakes at 60000 along with passenger door locks, power sterring making terrible griding noise and diver side power seat has been repaired 3 times. Spark plugs have been replaced twice. We have 65000 on this car and I'm affraid to let my wife take it out of town. Thank God for the extended warranty!

Family car
By Mela on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan

Great family car. It has all the features we looked for, without spending too much. Very convenient for us that have two babies using car seats.