Lost My Shirt along with My Patience
By dissappointed_buyer on
1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan
Purchased this van because of a growing family and its crash ratings. Fine for the first 3yrs/30K miles. At 35K: engine knock-$600 (warranty expired). At 38K: new transmission(dealership had bungled the Ford After Warranty Program that would have saved us $$)negotiated $1500, Ford Motor Co wouldn't talk to us. At 39.5K miles engine knock was back. Dealership est. $1300. Took it to a mechanic who spent 2 days - made "some" improvements for $300 and advised me to get rid of it. I did. Also had a few intermintant problems: cabin light flashing & warning signal sounding for no apparent reason. Good Ridence.
Favorite Features
I liked the way it looked. We had the back up sensor which was helpful with such a long vehicle and kid's toys in the driveway - That was an option that paid for itself.
Suggested Improvements
Take responsibility for your quality. It is soooo poor that not only is Ford giving themselves a bad name but they are tarnishing all American auto makers. There was no way I was going to buy anything but a Honda or a Toyota.