1999 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Don't Walk, Run From a 1999 Windstar
By mroberts35 on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I bought a 1999 Windstar used from a dealership. It had 36,000 miles when we bought it and we thought we were getting a good deal. The engine light went on befor we got it home from the dealer. Thank goodness for the extended warrenty we bought, and a good dealership, becasue the light went on 4 more time within the next 4,000 miles. I had read about all the problems others had had but we bought it anyway, figuring who writes in good reviews. Now I know why they were all bad. Don't buy this car..please!

How can Ford keep selling this junk?
By Bummed customer on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I thought maybe I was the exception and just had made a horrible mistake. After reading these reviews I realize I am in solid (and unfortunately miserable) company. It is hard to conceive of how Ford can keep selling this garbage with a straight face. When I talked to the "service supervisor" about how shocked I was that the tranny died at 50K miles, he nodded and said "yep, that really shouldn't happen." Then I had to be the jerk attorney I can be and threaten them with all kinds of bad stuff just to get a new tranny for $800. Never again. Buy foreign, you won't be sorry.

Problems with 99 Windstar
By mjrmc on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Liked this car initially, however, developed a "check engine" light problem that persisted for several months and about $1100+ dollars later. Also had suspension problems in front. Engine was stalling and running rough. Not Ok for me, this car has low mileage (65K) and shouldn't be like this. Can you say Toyota or Nissan??

better buy an extended warranty!
By familytruckster on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

When it's running right, it is very pleasant and does what it's supposed to do. The 3.8 V6 is plenty for most. Pretty good visibility for a minivan. Looks great. Had it a little over a year and have had several problems. Window motor, some seals, guage lights flickering, paint chips too easily, sensors gone bad. Thankfully nothing like major engine and trans work. Just aggrevating little stuff. Without the extended warranty I bought, I would have had to shell out quite a bit of coin.

never stranded again
By rebnab on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

I purchased this vehicle used at a reputable used car dealership with 30,000 miles on it. After 15 months of ownership I switched back to Chevrolet. The transmission blew at 32,000, major engine problems at 33,000, rack and pinion went out and needed replacing at 36,000, the engine just malfunctioned again and was down another 5 days. I soon as I got it back I traded it in. I usually sell my cars myself and get a decent price out of them, however with this one I could not honestly sell it to anyone. This is the first used car I've bought from a dealership and bought the extended warranty which saved my bacon.

GR8STAR
By MARK R. on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

VEHICLE HAS BEEN GREAT. REPLACE INTAKE GASKET AT 75,000 FOR $190 AT AN ASE CERTIFIED SHOP. NOT $500 OR $1000 SOME PEOPLE DON'T SHOP AROUND. FRONT BRAKES AT 60K MILES. NO OTHER PROBLEMS AT ALL. WE BOUGHT IT WITH 20K MILES AND HAVE LOVED IT. WOULD BUY AND REC. IT TO ANYONE.

No More Fords
By Windstar No More on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

My 99 Windstar had problems from day one. It has been to the dealer more than 25 times for so many things. Heater died, power rear windows died,windshield leaked, passenger door had to be rehung, air conditioning problems, intake manifold replaced,power sliding door would not close, brake problems,for 2 years it has not run correctly, misses and no one can seem to get it right.It had 50K miles on it and I traded it in yesterday for a toyota, what a RELIEF!!!

Garage queen
By jefftp on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

The van is decent, when it is running. Comfortable interior, good ride, fairly good power. The killer is reliability. Ours now has 79K miles, and we bought it at 55K miles. We have had to put in new alternator, rebuilt transmission ($$$$$). Interior lights won't go off, and dealer says can't be fixed at reasonable price. Power sliding door won't work, quoted $1,100 to fix. Check engine light is on & there seems to be a short in the electrical system somewhere. Symphony of loud rattles and squeaks comesfrom all corners of the van whenever moving. Decent van, when its running.

Ford Windstar
By Archie77 on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Its a Ford, and lives up the the name. It has been in the shop 4 times in one year. Get this, when they sell you a extended warranty everything is covered. When you need repairs it covers nothing.

Too Many Repairs!
By Matt Nelson on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

With small children we bought this car in part because it does well in the crash tests. It rides well but has had too many problems! The front end has been replaced, the transmission overhauled, gaskets blown, etc. It now has 80,000 miles on it and has cost several thousand more in repairs than my camry (which I sold at 230,000 miles) ever did.