1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
1999 Ford Windstar SEL
By psalm37v11 on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Too many mechanical failures. Required immediate replacement of power steering pump when brand new. Has needed two rebuilt transmissions in less than 80,000 miles at over $2,000 apiece. Neither transmission incident was covered under any warranty. In short, total cost of ownership of this vehicle is way too high. It was expensive to buy initially, and the repair costs make it infeasible to keep.

GOT LUCKY TOO
By hellothere on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have to say nothing has gone wrong just regular mantainence.As far as tranmissions, Ya know things like not coming to a complete stop before placing into park can kill a trani also when in reverse slaming into drive and laying it out doesnt help. I personal will go with a truck next time but as far as my 99 Windstar i just hit 89,000 miles and no problems. BTW I am not a Ford person so please don't think I am some crazed all about fords to be honest i hate Ford I bought it cause the price was good. I do perfer Chevy or a bicycle over ford but honestly this van has been great to me.

Not Happy
By ZEBRA on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar 3dr Minivan

This car was o k until I had to have the valve cover gaskets replaced $450.Ford put faulty gaskets on these engines.caused intake manifold to leak air.engine ping unaceptable. This will be my last Ford. now power steering is broken.whats to love about that??gas milege is bad.

Fix Or Repair Daily--ford 99 sel
By danny z. on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

purchased used at 36,000.needed intake manifold,starter,trans,battery,computer, side doors dont closed all the time [motors replaced,dashboard ratels,etc.. called ford and they can care less.van now has 54,00 onit and today the plastics gear changer that regulates the air flow to parts of the van is sounding like a bomb in the dash.Called ford another 4400 please.What a junk box...traded my honda for this !!!

Too much grief
By mnmlst on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought new for $24,000 all up in May '99. Now has 54,000 miles. 4-door LX with dual a/c. Ended up at the dealer a lot that first year: cruise control (3 trips to fix), liftgate piston failed, battery died, cabin air vent mechanism came loose and stopped the HVAC, taillight came loose, rear wiper motor died, odometer is 4 percent off. Since that teething period it's needed a manifold repair ($1100) and new front brake rotors. Cabin lights strobe, passenger side front seat is jammed in its track, upholstery wearing out quickly. Get a GOOD, extended warranty. Pay a lot for foreign and avoid the repair shop or pay less for domestic, then pay the repair shop. Six of one...

Lost My Shirt along with My Patience
By dissappointed_buyer on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Purchased this van because of a growing family and its crash ratings. Fine for the first 3yrs/30K miles. At 35K: engine knock-$600 (warranty expired). At 38K: new transmission(dealership had bungled the Ford After Warranty Program that would have saved us $$)negotiated $1500, Ford Motor Co wouldn't talk to us. At 39.5K miles engine knock was back. Dealership est. $1300. Took it to a mechanic who spent 2 days - made "some" improvements for $300 and advised me to get rid of it. I did. Also had a few intermintant problems: cabin light flashing & warning signal sounding for no apparent reason. Good Ridence.

1999 Windstar LX
By F.O.R.D. on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have 83K. The front end has had problems since day one. I had bad pinging caused by leaky intake manifold gaskets ($1000). Rack & Pinion went bad ($600). Rear window leaks. Dealer installed remote keyless entry has never worked properly.

I will never own another Ford
By fordhater1 on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 99 Ford Windstar used from a reputable dealer. After having it for 10 months, the interior and exterior lights began to dim. The fan blower began to surge and the dome lights would flicker on and off at any given time. A days later the battery was dead. Something id draining the battery, but 3 Ford dealerships cannot find the root cause. The van has been in the shop for the last 6 months and counting. We my have driven it for 3 weeks out of the last 6 months. Never buy a Ford product.

1999 Windstar - Its been a great trip
By imbartman on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have had this car since new and have had an excellent experience. This car has travelled hard and never let us down. It is a comfortable van with a nice ride, but not so cushy that you are afraid to use it. The throttle and engine noise is a little more 'throaty' than most, but the power is smooth and plentiful. I would have no problem selling this car to a friend - even with 120,000 miles on it.

Been good to us
By Dadto2 on 03/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought our SEL just before our first was born. Now 4.5 yrs later we have 2 and the Windstar is still getting it done. Great family & Home Depot hauler. The leather has held up well and the carpet is very tough. We shopped for a new van/suv 2 weeks ago and didn't find anything that motivated us to replace the Windstar. I change the coolant, trans & PS fluids every year. Other than routine maint it has needed a MAF sensor, battery & tie rod ends. Our dealer returned it in 1/2 day each time. No cost w/ext warr. We ALWAYS buy them. Any late model vehicle can break the bank without one. The power doors are a great with an armful of kids, groceries, etc.