Used 1999 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Never buy a Ford again
By Chris

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

I grew up in a Ford city and a Ford family. Locks and doors don't work consistently, Check engine light is on constantly despite several thousand dollars and trips to multiple dealers; an independent finally told me Ford used inferior parts in the intake manifold, Ford is aware and has published tech bulletins but wouldn't offer to help. The dealers don't care anymore. Do not buy a Ford. I also bought a Lincoln LS, I got tired of visiting it and traded it for a BMW which has been extremely reliable.

None really, the seats hurt my back, road noise is terrible, it won't stay aligned, the brakes are bad and the engine is garbage.

Ford needs to reach out to those of us. I hope they go out of business and their executives have to feed themselves by scrounging in trash cans. They ruined a once proud company by compromising quality. I drive by a Ford plant everyday and feel sorry for the employees.

Windstar - Maybe it will get you there
By Nancy

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This van has been a total disappointment. We've had problem after problem, some of which left me stranded on the side of the road with my three kids in the car. Problems range from transmission to electrical to mechanical. Every problem that results in a visit to the Ford Service department takes days to fix. I bought the van because of the high safety rating - I didn't feel safe stuck in the breakdown down lane of I-95. I cheaped out and didn't buy the Toyota Sienna back in '99, I won't make the same mistake this time. I hear Ford is getting out of the minivan business due to lack of demand of minivans. They must mean lack of demand of their poorly built piece of garbage van.

I like the room the van provides.

STOP MAKING MINIVANS!

Never Again
By Karen E

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Worst, most unreliable vehicle ever. We are looking at cars and won't even consider Ford after our Windstar experience. Nearing 50K miles needed new transmission. Interior lights and locks don't work properly. Noises galore. Check engine light perpetually on - need to clear this for third time at 60K. Clunky metal squeak from rear of car. Windshield cracked twice above rearview mirror which kept falling off. Tires went bald at 20K. Nightmare.

Roomy enough for kids.

Clean up Ford from the top down or go out of business already. Put this company out of misery. This type of reputation is shameful.

Done With Fords
By Towers

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I needed a minivan because we were having twins. It was a great vehicle while the kids were infants. Easy to get babies into and out of the vehicle,and was roomy enough for everything. Too many problems were shared between me and another Windstar owner: both had idling problems in the morning; both have a transmission that slips; both have a stuck temp. control switch; and both have a check engine light due to a vacuum leak. It's a safe vehicle that is great on road trips, but it's time for a more reliable vehicle for me.

Ease of entry and exit for the kids; captain chairs in the middle row; very smooth ride.

More reliable transmission; hopefully they have addressed some of the engine issues.

Not a happy camper
By Not A happy camper

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

New transmission at 37,000 miles; this was a nightmare since the new transmission still slips. New rack at 38,000. At 99,000 I am installing a newer used motor due to the loss of the original motor. I would drive this van off a cliff but can't find one high enough around here. I now have a new Toyota Tundra in the driveway.

Nice seats and lots of room.

Take some classes from a foreign automaker.

• SUV