1999 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Piece of junk!
By calfano on 12/14/04 16:18 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this as a 1 year old car. Got extended warrenty through 7/04. Three weeks later transmission went at 68,000 miles. Is in shop as we speak for the A/C problem. Constant alignment issues. Front end replaced. Back windows don't work. My dealership did pay for half of the transmission, but I was still out $1,200. My husband and I will NEVER own, drive or even ride in another Ford again. I don't care what kind it is. I have spent more than this is even worth! Ford, wake up and smell the coffee. Renaming it a "Freestar" doesn't fool anyone. The car is a piece of junk!

Nomorefords
By Nofordnomore on 12/09/04 14:27 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I have owned two Windstars; '95 & '97. Bought the '95 used. Engine blew. Bought a new '99 LX with 4 doors. Justification was the '99 was "redesigned". I learned "redesigned" does not mean "improved" it just means different. All of the same problems everyone else has had.The pinging started at mile 1 off the dealer lot. Blamed many times on bad gas in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. Finally with 74K they replaced intake manifold - on my nickel. What a difference! First time it ran right. Now the tranny problems begin. At 94K traded for used Tahoe.

Don't buy Windstars
By Run away on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this car new in 1999, and thats where the trouble started. It didn't have all of the options we were led to believe (rear audio plate was on the car but there was no rear audio). Electrical glitches very early on. As soon as the warranty ran out, the steering rack needed replaced, radio which was never that good broke, and numerous electrical glitches. Air bag light spent more time on than off after fixing twice, just gave up. Torque converter went at 85000 miles and fixed. Transmission finally went at 95000 miles and the brake light started coming on and I am calling it quits. These are just the major problems. I am now donating this car to charity and I feel guilty.

It's a Ford...
By AlonSeal on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

If you buy a Ford, get a extended warranty. For $800+, it covered these out of warranty repairs... 1. Transmission 2. A/C Compressor and Evaporator 3. Strut bushing 4. Radio 5. Air Blend door motor combine valued over $5000. No, I won't buy a Ford again. In warranty repairs included 2 sensors, and intake manifold gasket.

junk
By scott4353425 on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Head gasket and transmission both went. What else is there to say but don't buy one. I feel lucky, I got 84K on it before the tranny went.

Love my Van
By rachael on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I LOVE my Van I hear all these bad storys and I wonder what do you do with your vans! This is not the Indy 500 for Windstars. I have never had a problem. It has only broke down once when my husband was driving it. So don't let guys drive a mom car. Would buy another one when this one dies.

Worked Great Until 60K
By challenger867 on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I bought the car offlease with 35K. I started having problems last year with the electrical system. I just replaced the intake manifold gasket including the bolts, the mass airflow sensor and just about every other sensor to finally get the check engine light off. The light is still off, but is not allright. It continues to have new electrical odd problems that cannot be easily diagnosed or fixed. Do not buy Windstars!

Windstar been good to me...
By tom patrick on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

heard some horror stories but the 1999 Ford Windstar LX has been good to me... Just make sure to keep it well tuned and oil changed

5 Trannies
By Hoppity on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Just got rid of this thing. I bought it certified used with an extended warranty, with 47,000 miles on it. It now has 84,000 miles on it, and I had 4 transmissions put in it. CD player broke, all of the sensors started going out. Glad to get rid of it. Don't bother with Vista Ford of Oxnard if you have a problem. Go up the road a few miles to Mel Clayton in Santa Barbara.

Can you afford to
By ttudave on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

"Buy American" I thought proudly. Two transmissions later I'm replacing my Windstar with a Camry or an Accord. I can't afford to be patriotic if that means supporting unreliable vehicles like this Windstar. Dealers charge over $100 to diagnose mysterious trouble lights on the dash...three times already. The AC and power steering systems leak. Ford has a problem with their automatic transmissions. The service manager at the dealership advised me that transmissions were a known Ford weakness. Ford's customer service was useless.