Used 1999 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

At what point should I scrap it?
By C Horton

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this from German friends who were returning back home. They kept detailed records and had every service done and every repair done imaginable. I figured we should have a good run. We bought it with 80k miles. After 2 1/2 years, with only 98k miles I've had to repace the transmission. The door locks never quite work and the check engine light goes on every and ever trip to the dealer/service station costs at least $600 to fix it. I'm crossing my fingers to get six more months out of it as the inspection comes up at that time. I'm fed up with all of the maintance costs for this poorly designed vehicle. Ford dealerships love all of the high margin work they get from this car.

Sliding doors Interior room

Quality and reliablity are key and this is a major turn off where I will not consider buying a Ford in the future unless someone else pays for it and it's repairs!

Do not buy
By Terry

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought van 5 years ago with around 50000 mi. 77000 on van now. Started while under warranty with check engine light had intake gaskets replaced and after warranty out same problem. Replaced o2 sensors and still have intake manifold leaks. Tranny out now. Suprised ford not richer with what they are selling. No help for the working guy. I also had door switch replaced at my cost. Good luck if you have one. Still debating on fixing tranny maybe I should get out while the getting is good

Interior is nice

1. Transmission 2. Intake manifold If anyone from ford reads this just make good on something you know is wrong

Ford Let Us Down.
By Martha

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I love the body of this minivan. It is comfortable and has plenty of room! It is a great car to drive. Now that said mechanically it stinks. Ford knows all about this vehicles problems, O ring failure, transmission failure, O2 sensors failure, door sensor failure, driver side door lock failure and on and on. If we knew then what we know now we would never have bought this car. Fortunately we bought it used and still have not spent up to the new price. We put over $5,000 in repairs into this car over 6 years. I will think twice before I risk another Ford purchase.

Front seats are comfortable. Plenty of space in the back. Seats are removeable. The larger bench back seat can be moved to the front seat position to give more storage in the back. Best designed front cup holders of any car I've ridden in. The auto-adjust side view mirrors are great.

Transmission

Poor quality and poor company
By Brad

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This car is a good idea but poor execution. Transmission failed at 90k and is a known problem with this van. The check engine light comes on because of clogged EGR circiut . A/C blend louvers break, known problem. The worst thing is that you may have to get these fixed over and over again.

Good power and lots of room

Engine, transmission, and some electric components need to be redesigned.

Mechanical design flaws
By Norma

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

There are design flaws in the oil pump that cause engine failure and the transmission is weak. Both had to be replaced BEFORE 100K miles.

Very comfortable seating and large cargo area. The seating versatility is great. The vehicle holds its value well considering the flaws.

A stronger transmission and an oil pump that will hold up to use and not cause engine failure when it quits without warning.

• SUV