1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Lemon Aide
By dukee on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Transmission shifts hard into gear. Has been replaced once by dealer,

"Breaking Wind"-star
By Thirty Something on 05/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Today is emancipation day from my Windstar - truely an occasion for celebration! Never have I had the displeasure of owning a vehicle with more recalls, problems and strange quirks than this poor van. After reading the other reviews, I realized we would probably be considered one of the fortunate ones since our first major money repair didn't occur until @ 35,000 miles. Since then, It's been downhill. Believe me, I will shed no tears as I hand the dealer the keys once and for all to this "mystery machine".

dead again
By rayovac on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

With 25,000 miles and regular maintenance our Windstar Had the engine replaced at the dealer. At 28,000 miles the transmission needed to be rebuilt.

Out of my pocket!!
By Jeanine on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Wouldn't you know it, at 44,000 miles and less then three years just 8,000 miles after my warranty ended my power steering pump broke internally sending "shrap metal" into the power steering rack thus destorying that also. $1,130 out of my pocket. NEXT at 55,000 miles my transmission "died" on a on ramp. Aamco said oil shaft pump broke which killed torque converter. $2,170 out of my pocket. Calls to ford headheadquaters in detroit yelled no help or sympathy. Wouldn't buy another ford again if they where the last cars on earth!!!

stay away
By nomorefords-25 on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought from local ford dealer with 30,000 miles on the odometer. He gave us Ford's bmpr to bmpr warranty for 4yrs or 48,000 miles at cost...why? I now know-at 40,000 miles the tie rods went, at 50,000 miles the transmission went. Since new rear speakers work at their leasure and buy bulbs for the rear lights by the case, you will save $$ in the long run, they go every 3 months. Our van is loaded with 4drs, rear heat/ac, 10 disc changer,alloys,abs,etc- the van has depreciated $8,000+ in the last 14 months-there is a reason. Not worth the $$, there are better alternatives- find them.

Hello Ford? No Answer.
By bigdriver222 on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

With a new child we went looking for a safe and affordable minivan we could 'grow' into. However 53,000 miles down the road I am ready to drop my Windstar like a bad habit. First problem was at 43,000 miles - a new transmission. Ford offered to 'help' with 80% of the costs, still that's money you shouldn't have to shell out after 43,000 miles. Then 1,000 miles later the Rack and Pinion steering went out. $700 more dollars. Just yesterday the air intake system went. I would not buy a Ford again unless they offered a 10 year/100,000 bumper to bumper - on everything from light bulbs to engine block. Be afraid - be very afraid.

Repairs, Repairs & More Repairs
By Brucel on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

The transmission went out at 30,000. It was then rebuilt. It went out again @ 54,000. Ford will not take full responsibility for this hunk of junk. There have been many other repais as well as numerous recalls. I am unable to get in touch with the District Manager for Northeast Illinois. No one will give me that information,. Who does Ford think they are? This is my first and last Ford. I had bought it for its safety features. The transmission has gone out twice in traffic--really safe!

One bad minivan
By Unhappy Dad on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

the 1999 edition is HORRIBLE! Our first Windstar was wonderful- no problems and 75k miles. This one was the WORST car we have ever owned- engine was replaced at 30k; transmission broke at 52k; electric was always having problems; battery died monthly. A LEMON is a nice name for this vehicle. FORD= Fix Or Repair Daily (at least monthly)

Windstar Woes
By Don Huck on 09/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Transmission failure at 54,000 miles...problems prior to failure. Eng frequently will not idle after start. Valve(?) noise when engine is cold. Door seals poor with resultant loud road and wind noise. On board computer for system information malfunctioned after one year. 2nd Windstar...will not purchase another and probably will not purchase another Ford product!

Good only for lemonade
By Jon Kirkwood on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Three years, eighteen pages of repair orders, and five recalls. First, last, and only American manufactured car I will purchase. Ford should be ashamed to produce a vehicle of such poor fit, finish, and quality. Both front seats were replaced, all of the exhaust system heat shields, and one engine control module. Two "FEMs," whatever they are, luggage rack, and the engine starter have all been replaced. And the fuel economy is NEVER greater than 17 MPG. Good, strong, motor; when it runs. It's still a nice looking, comfortable vehicle. Too bad it's such a shoddy product.