Used 1999 Ford Windstar SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Most Helpful|
Won't Make Same Mistake Again
By bill davis

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

While the exterior design is very good and the interior is adequate the overall quality of this van is horrible. Shortly after purchasing it the transmission went out. It is extremely noisy on the road and in town. Idles rough, the service engine light and the ABS light stays on. The "door open" light stays on and the automatic locking system works intermittently. I wanted to but a Toyota or Honda but I let my wife talk me into this Ford because she liked the exterior better than than the Toyota/Honda. She agrees now that tis Ford has really lived up to its name "Found on road dead". Can't make this mistake again since the Windstar is no longer made which is a GOOD thing.

Favorite Features

Room inside

Suggested Improvements

Already taken care of. No longer in production.

Sad to see it go!
By Goodall family

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have had our van for almost 9 years. Bought it with only about 32,000 miles on it. It now has just over 176,000 on it. The transmission is about to go out. We are now shopping for a used car. I will very much miss it! We haven't had to put much money into it, so overall it was definitely a good car for us. I am disappointed the transmission is going out. I would have kept this car much longer otherwise. It is comfortable, roomy and I feel very safe in it. It has had it's share of quirkiness though. We call it a "ghost car" as the interior lights will flash on and off sometimes and we have had lights on the dash go on and off but it would still run fine--didn't bother to have checked

Favorite Features

removable second and third row seats (yes, they can be heavy, but don't remove that often--but has come in handy, don't have to rent a truck!

Suggested Improvements

Why does Ford have so many transmission troubles? I had a Mercury Sable before which is basically a Ford Taurus that the transmission also went out I want to buy american, but they need to be reliable

Nice minivan
By yermom123

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Its a good car, when the transmission works. I have had to replace it 3 times. Honestly it drives really smooth! 200,000 miles and just took it to Nashville, Tennesse which is about a 12 hour drive from my house. Does well in the snow. I have had it for 14 years and no major problems except the tranny. It is very confortable. I am 6ft and 275 pounds and am very comfortable driving it. I feel really safe driving my kids in it with the triple 5 star crash test rating. Would recommend this vehicle, but make sure the tranny is good first!

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission

Excellent family car!
By Mima

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Excellent car for a family. Very reliable. Had great fun with a lot of trips with it. Good riding, like a newer car. Overall - very satisfied of it.

Favorite Features

Upper front console. A lot of storage places. Second sliding door. Ease to get in and out of the third row.

Suggested Improvements

Parking sensors. After all, it's a family car.

Never Again
By Karen E

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Worst, most unreliable vehicle ever. We are looking at cars and won't even consider Ford after our Windstar experience. Nearing 50K miles needed new transmission. Interior lights and locks don't work properly. Noises galore. Check engine light perpetually on - need to clear this for third time at 60K. Clunky metal squeak from rear of car. Windshield cracked twice above rearview mirror which kept falling off. Tires went bald at 20K. Nightmare.

Favorite Features

Roomy enough for kids.

Suggested Improvements

Clean up Ford from the top down or go out of business already. Put this company out of misery. This type of reputation is shameful.