1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
feel like i was ripped off
By never buy a ford on 06/29/05 14:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We bought the car new in 1999. In six years, we put only 50,000 miles on it and expected for it to last another four years to make it worth the money we paid. So far we've had to replace the steering rack, intake gaskets ($600), rod ends, brakes, and suffered with various unfixable noises and broken bits of interior plastic. Now the whole transmission has conked out; the estimate is $2,700 to fix it, and we are done. We are not throwing good money after bad; we walking away from our losses, giving the car to a mechanic for $1000. Ford has nothing to say, neither does the dealer. I am done with Ford; I would never ever trust them again. Don’t buy a Windstar, you'll regret it.

FIX OR REPAIR DAILY (FORD)
By maryann on 06/20/05 11:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I thought I was getting something that would be comfortable for my family and I BUT... This vehicle has been nothing but TROUBLE. After buying the vehicle I had to replace the speedometer that cost me $1700. Oh and that was only after I bought the car and owned it for 3 months. Ok, so a year goes by and guess where my car is at the dealership once again with a problem they don't know! I can no longer tell how fast I am going because that don't work and how many miles my vehicle has. Oh and the ABS light is on and the air conditioning is no longer working. Check engine light on and they say it is an O2 sensor Ford Motor has had lots of complaints and won't recall it

Transmission Turmoil
By Bad Transmission 87K on 05/19/05 16:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought a '99 Windstar second hand. At 87,000 miles the transmission was replaced. Ford quoted me $2500. They ended up paying $700 of that due to my complaining. It is still jerking and snatching and I am too tired to take it back to the shop. As long as it gets me where I need to go, I will deal with it. Overall, I'm disappointed! I'm looking for a vehicle that is TOUGH and BUILT LIKE A ROCK! It was a roomy ride and my kids loved it, however, I'm, ready to give this minivan the boot. Not to mention that the check engine light stayed on and no one could figure out how to get it to go off.

Unreliable
By dsp on 04/22/05 17:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought off lease with 15,000 miles, ran fine until warranty ran out. Around 60,000 miles had constant check engine lights. Would replace one sensor and then the following week it would be another one. Power steering rack started going out and traded it for a Toyota Sienna. I hate to admit but I will never again buy another Ford product.

Start Saving for a New Transmission
By LGW on 03/24/05 15:07 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

My 1999 Ford Windstar will be the last American make vehicle I ever purchase. Despite following recommended maintenance guidelines, this vehicle has required: four new O2 sensors, replacement of front end bearings, countless recall fixes and the coupe de grace, a completely new transmission and I have only put 68,000 miles on this vehicle. Now I've noticed that the automatic locks are disfunctioning, there is a short in the electrical panel and the horn doesn't work.

1999 Ford Windstar Van
By Jim on 02/26/05 08:52 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have had several problems with this vehicle. The paint started to flake off the roof at approximately 65,000K with Ford denying any widespread problems with paint. The electrical system has been problematic causing the dash to flicker and door locks to work erratically. The valves have made noise since we bought it, with Ford unable to find a problem. We have also had front suspension and power steering work. When called about the paint problems, the dealer said I would have to call Detroit...but claimed NOT to have Ford's 800 number! I AM THROUGH WITH FORD PRODUCTS!

No more Fords 4 me
By spring4888 on 02/10/05 14:55 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Had to replace intake manifold and tie rod ends at 45K miles, transmission at 62K, power steering rack& intake gaskets at 67K, power steering hose and fuel pump at 70K miles. In addition to the routine tires, brakes, flushes and numerous minor things like liftgate hydraulic, CD stuck in the player, sliding door that won't click closed, brakes and 2 alignments. We just can't afford keep this van any longer. The car has taken more "vacations" than we have! We just finished paying it off.

Beware! Faulty Transmission!
By Lisa Brannon on 02/05/05 12:42 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I've learned my lesson: DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If I had researched the Ford Windstar more thoroughly, I would have known about its history of transmission system failure due to poor design. Ford could not be more apathetic. I've read numerous tales of enraged consumers who have appealed to Ford only to have Ford Customer Service reps turn a deaf ear. My '99 Windstar is curently no more than a lawn ornament. I can't afford to put a THIRD transmission in it. (Yes, I did say the transmission has already been replaced once, at 43,000 miles. It just conked out at 74,000 miles.) DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Not Without an Extended Warranty!
By Joyce K. on 01/27/05 19:33 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This has been the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Even with my low mileage it still has needed several major repairs. Thank goodness for the extended warranty! Never Ford Again!

terrible quality
By mark on 01/03/05 15:46 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought this ‘99 Windstar new; took it into the dealer at 1,500 miles for an oil change, and it came back with a new transmission (under warranty). Need I say more. Terrible quality. In most other ways, an average boxy minivan.