Used 1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Ford Let Us Down.
By Martha

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I love the body of this minivan. It is comfortable and has plenty of room! It is a great car to drive. Now that said mechanically it stinks. Ford knows all about this vehicles problems, O ring failure, transmission failure, O2 sensors failure, door sensor failure, driver side door lock failure and on and on. If we knew then what we know now we would never have bought this car. Fortunately we bought it used and still have not spent up to the new price. We put over $5,000 in repairs into this car over 6 years. I will think twice before I risk another Ford purchase.

Favorite Features

Front seats are comfortable. Plenty of space in the back. Seats are removeable. The larger bench back seat can be moved to the front seat position to give more storage in the back. Best designed front cup holders of any car I've ridden in. The auto-adjust side view mirrors are great.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission

Poor quality and poor company
By Brad

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This car is a good idea but poor execution. Transmission failed at 90k and is a known problem with this van. The check engine light comes on because of clogged EGR circiut . A/C blend louvers break, known problem. The worst thing is that you may have to get these fixed over and over again.

Favorite Features

Good power and lots of room

Suggested Improvements

Engine, transmission, and some electric components need to be redesigned.

Mechanical design flaws
By Norma

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

There are design flaws in the oil pump that cause engine failure and the transmission is weak. Both had to be replaced BEFORE 100K miles.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seating and large cargo area. The seating versatility is great. The vehicle holds its value well considering the flaws.

Suggested Improvements

A stronger transmission and an oil pump that will hold up to use and not cause engine failure when it quits without warning.

Never buy a Ford again
By Chris

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I grew up in a Ford city and a Ford family. Locks and doors don't work consistently, Check engine light is on constantly despite several thousand dollars and trips to multiple dealers; an independent finally told me Ford used inferior parts in the intake manifold, Ford is aware and has published tech bulletins but wouldn't offer to help. The dealers don't care anymore. Do not buy a Ford. I also bought a Lincoln LS, I got tired of visiting it and traded it for a BMW which has been extremely reliable.

Favorite Features

None really, the seats hurt my back, road noise is terrible, it won't stay aligned, the brakes are bad and the engine is garbage.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to reach out to those of us. I hope they go out of business and their executives have to feed themselves by scrounging in trash cans. They ruined a once proud company by compromising quality. I drive by a Ford plant everyday and feel sorry for the employees.

Windstar - Maybe it will get you there
By Nancy

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This van has been a total disappointment. We've had problem after problem, some of which left me stranded on the side of the road with my three kids in the car. Problems range from transmission to electrical to mechanical. Every problem that results in a visit to the Ford Service department takes days to fix. I bought the van because of the high safety rating - I didn't feel safe stuck in the breakdown down lane of I-95. I cheaped out and didn't buy the Toyota Sienna back in '99, I won't make the same mistake this time. I hear Ford is getting out of the minivan business due to lack of demand of minivans. They must mean lack of demand of their poorly built piece of garbage van.

Favorite Features

I like the room the van provides.

Suggested Improvements

STOP MAKING MINIVANS!