Used 1999 Ford Windstar SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Would not buy another
By kari

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I hate this minivan! The gas mileage stinks! And we have tried to give it a tune up, but nothing works. On our best day we get 10mpg in town and like 16 highway. Will buy foreign next time for the better mpg. And I am an "American" car fan!

Um....... dual sliding doors, rear climate control.

Take some advice from foreign auto makers on how to improve gas mileage.

I like mine
By uaw2317

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought with 110,000 miles on it. It now has 125,000. I know that's not much for a review but I have had zero problems with mine. Not even an odd noise. And the paint still looks new.

Comfort and styling.

Fold into floor seating.

Last Ford Van
By mark in cincinnati

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I had no reason not to purchase a Ford with five relatives working for the company. Until my van turned 36k only regular maintenance & recalls were required. Since then: 3 transmissions, antilock brakes, heater core. Luckily I had a great service adviser that allowed me to purchase the extended warranty. So my cost for the transmissions was limited to $700. Factory trained/certified mechanics failed to bolt one of the brackets on the second rebuild requiring the third repair 8K miles later.

Dual sliding doors, great storage.

Overhead sunglass and garage door opener compartment always rattle.

DON'T BUY A FORD!
By WINDSTAR no more

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This is not a family vehicle when the transmission goes out during a blizzard in the middle of nowhere. We have replaced the rack & pinion steering, 4 oxygen sensors, valve cover, max air intake, all door locks and transmission. It took the transmission shop 6 months to repair right because Ford sent them faulty parts. The battery keeps going dead because door switches don't work right. I need to get rid of this van before something else goes wrong. I just feel bad for who ever gets it. When we contacted Ford, they blew us off. My wife HATES everything about this van! I laugh to think that Ford redesigned the van and now call it a Freestar. Will the new name really make them better?

It's hard to remember what I originally liked about this van.

Replace everything about it except the valve stem caps.

It's good on the inside
By Nate1tate

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this van because we had a second kid on the way. It was fine for family trips and such at first, but the alternator went with under 60K miles. Had major engine problem that required installation of a special valve and head gasket. Trouble with power sliding doors staying on track. Had tranny gasket leak, speed sensors, etc. After reading these reviews I'm worried about the steering and tranny now. Buying used we got an upgraded interior. That's the best part of the whole van. I'm not totally unhappy with it, just tired of spending money on it. Trade value is miserable and makes me want to hold on to a vehicle that will likely cost much more before I can afford another car.

Sound system, rear controls for radio and air, sliding doors.

Ford needs to make their engine components more sound. Mechanics recommended I not get this when I asked their advice. The crash test results sold us, but that's not enough to get me to buy anything else from them again. Listen to customer complaints, all of us can't possibly be wrong.