1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
5 Trannies
By Hoppity on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Just got rid of this thing. I bought it certified used with an extended warranty, with 47,000 miles on it. It now has 84,000 miles on it, and I had 4 transmissions put in it. CD player broke, all of the sensors started going out. Glad to get rid of it. Don't bother with Vista Ford of Oxnard if you have a problem. Go up the road a few miles to Mel Clayton in Santa Barbara.

I will never own another Ford
By fordhater1 on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 99 Ford Windstar used from a reputable dealer. After having it for 10 months, the interior and exterior lights began to dim. The fan blower began to surge and the dome lights would flicker on and off at any given time. A days later the battery was dead. Something id draining the battery, but 3 Ford dealerships cannot find the root cause. The van has been in the shop for the last 6 months and counting. We my have driven it for 3 weeks out of the last 6 months. Never buy a Ford product.

1999 Windstar - Its been a great trip
By imbartman on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have had this car since new and have had an excellent experience. This car has travelled hard and never let us down. It is a comfortable van with a nice ride, but not so cushy that you are afraid to use it. The throttle and engine noise is a little more 'throaty' than most, but the power is smooth and plentiful. I would have no problem selling this car to a friend - even with 120,000 miles on it.

How can Ford keep selling this junk?
By Bummed customer on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I thought maybe I was the exception and just had made a horrible mistake. After reading these reviews I realize I am in solid (and unfortunately miserable) company. It is hard to conceive of how Ford can keep selling this garbage with a straight face. When I talked to the "service supervisor" about how shocked I was that the tranny died at 50K miles, he nodded and said "yep, that really shouldn't happen." Then I had to be the jerk attorney I can be and threaten them with all kinds of bad stuff just to get a new tranny for $800. Never again. Buy foreign, you won't be sorry.

Problems with 99 Windstar
By mjrmc on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Liked this car initially, however, developed a "check engine" light problem that persisted for several months and about $1100+ dollars later. Also had suspension problems in front. Engine was stalling and running rough. Not Ok for me, this car has low mileage (65K) and shouldn't be like this. Can you say Toyota or Nissan??

GR8STAR
By MARK R. on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

VEHICLE HAS BEEN GREAT. REPLACE INTAKE GASKET AT 75,000 FOR $190 AT AN ASE CERTIFIED SHOP. NOT $500 OR $1000 SOME PEOPLE DON'T SHOP AROUND. FRONT BRAKES AT 60K MILES. NO OTHER PROBLEMS AT ALL. WE BOUGHT IT WITH 20K MILES AND HAVE LOVED IT. WOULD BUY AND REC. IT TO ANYONE.

Too Many Repairs!
By Matt Nelson on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

With small children we bought this car in part because it does well in the crash tests. It rides well but has had too many problems! The front end has been replaced, the transmission overhauled, gaskets blown, etc. It now has 80,000 miles on it and has cost several thousand more in repairs than my camry (which I sold at 230,000 miles) ever did.

Never Agaiin!
By Dandi58 on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

After replacing a Grand Caravan with the Windstar, I have to say I am extremely disappointed with American minivans. In the last year, I have spent over $4000 on the Windstar (granted, some items were maintenance, like brakes). I am staring at a bill for $1300 to fix the heat ('blendor' broken) and plan to send Ford a 'heated' letter. I had to replace the intake manifold gasket at 60,000 miles, a $500 job (Ford paid 1/2), have had several recalls on the transmission and have generally found this van to be unreliable and requiring a LOT of maintenance. Oh yes, the gas mileage is terrible as well. And the windnoise is unbelievable.

I'd better buy a Kia or a Lafa
By Windstart victim on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

An awful car, we've gotproblems with : - electric accessories - brakes - transmission - engine We bought this car last year with 80K miles and there is no week without a failure somewhere. We tryied to sell it, but it seems that now the Windstar is well known now for these problems. Nobody wants it :-(

tommy royce -ford windstar
By tommyr on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

great minivan.roomy and powerful