Used 1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

A dangerous vehicle to own.
By Former Ford Man

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This van started off serving us well but quickly became a nightmare. At 75k mi. the transmission failed requiring rebuild. At 85k mi, the speed control deactivation switch caused a fire at the ABS module while the vehicle was off and parked in the driveway. Along the way, electrical system issues caused the power windows, power door locks and horn to stop working. This vehicle has major electrical system flaws causing a dangerous safety issue!

Well designed interior, lots of room.

Transmission appears to be a known problem and the electrical system problems are common. The ABS / Cruise control system fire makes this a dangerous vehicle to own

Won't Make Same Mistake Again
By bill davis

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

While the exterior design is very good and the interior is adequate the overall quality of this van is horrible. Shortly after purchasing it the transmission went out. It is extremely noisy on the road and in town. Idles rough, the service engine light and the ABS light stays on. The "door open" light stays on and the automatic locking system works intermittently. I wanted to but a Toyota or Honda but I let my wife talk me into this Ford because she liked the exterior better than than the Toyota/Honda. She agrees now that tis Ford has really lived up to its name "Found on road dead". Can't make this mistake again since the Windstar is no longer made which is a GOOD thing.

Room inside

Already taken care of. No longer in production.

Solid, Dependable, Efficient
By CarolynDan

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

As I get ready to pass along this, my second Windstar, I want to relate how very pleased I have been with this minivan. Through 200,000+ miles it has performed like a champ, very dependable, very easy to drive, very much the family car. Like other Fords of its ilk, the transmission was shot at about 140,000, but the rebuilt is doing fine. The only other major mechanical problem was replacing the steering rack at about 165,000. The engine is well sized, giving a lot of power and zip while at the same time consistently delivering 20+ mpg on evenly mixed city/highway driving.

The design of the middle and bench seats is great and it is easy for one adult to remove or install them. Drives very much like a car, and if a mini-van can be fun to drive, this one is it. We took a 6,000 mile "American West Vacation Tour" with four adults and two teens and all had a great time.

Ours doesn't have the optional driver's side (fourth) sliding door or a roof rack - both would be very welcome. The lifters on the hatch door could be stronger - as they age, I have clunked my head a couple of times when they fail to fully life the door.

At what point should I scrap it?
By C Horton

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this from German friends who were returning back home. They kept detailed records and had every service done and every repair done imaginable. I figured we should have a good run. We bought it with 80k miles. After 2 1/2 years, with only 98k miles I've had to repace the transmission. The door locks never quite work and the check engine light goes on every and ever trip to the dealer/service station costs at least $600 to fix it. I'm crossing my fingers to get six more months out of it as the inspection comes up at that time. I'm fed up with all of the maintance costs for this poorly designed vehicle. Ford dealerships love all of the high margin work they get from this car.

Sliding doors Interior room

Quality and reliablity are key and this is a major turn off where I will not consider buying a Ford in the future unless someone else pays for it and it's repairs!

Do not buy
By Terry

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought van 5 years ago with around 50000 mi. 77000 on van now. Started while under warranty with check engine light had intake gaskets replaced and after warranty out same problem. Replaced o2 sensors and still have intake manifold leaks. Tranny out now. Suprised ford not richer with what they are selling. No help for the working guy. I also had door switch replaced at my cost. Good luck if you have one. Still debating on fixing tranny maybe I should get out while the getting is good

Interior is nice

1. Transmission 2. Intake manifold If anyone from ford reads this just make good on something you know is wrong