1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
poor workmanship
By dissappointed on 03/21/06 15:28 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

The engine has inferior parts. Most people have problem with the check engine light coming on and it will run anywhere from 500-2,000 dollars to repair this problem, depending on if your dealer knows what they are doing. Ford knows of the inferior parts and flaws but will not step up to the plate and say we messed up, lets fix it. Ford needs to step up and take responsibility for this problem.

Transmission, check engine
By Alan on 02/08/06 06:17 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This vehicle was great right up to about 75,000 miles. Then things went poorly. I have had electrical problems, the check engine light keeps telling me that an o2 sensor is bad; changed two times. Then at around 105,000 the tranny started acting weird. Stuck in second gear, O/D light flashing. I have the 3.8; many mechanics have refused to tune it up because it is so hard to work on.

I Guess I'm Lucky
By JP on 01/09/06 22:33 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I feel lucky after reading all the negative reviews. With 140K miles, we are rolling along pretty problem free. I anticipated worse even when I bought it. We have pulled trailers well over 10,000 miles of its life and the transmission is still intact. I liked most everything about the van and just hoped it would be reliable. It has been. Poor sounding sound system. Some minor electrical issues. The trailer wiring system was a pain.

Ford Windstar 1999
By L. F. Swails on 11/01/05 22:49 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Following are problems experienced beginning with vehicle at 2 or 3 years old: Yellow engine light -- no problem shows on computer check. Mechanic turns off, 1 to 6 months later same thing. At 97,000 miles air intake valve replaced, starter synchronizer replaced, passenger window motor repaired 70,000 miles + or - replace transmission (stranded 4 days 500+ miles from home). In Ford shop two times under warranty for front end problem; 3rd time same symptom, just out of warranty. Ford shop said not same symptom so took van to private shop for repair.

Last Ford Van
By mark in cincinnati on 10/27/05 08:16 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I had no reason not to purchase a Ford with five relatives working for the company. Until my van turned 36k only regular maintenance & recalls were required. Since then: 3 transmissions, antilock brakes, heater core. Luckily I had a great service adviser that allowed me to purchase the extended warranty. So my cost for the transmissions was limited to $700. Factory trained/certified mechanics failed to bolt one of the brackets on the second rebuild requiring the third repair 8K miles later.

DON'T BUY A FORD!
By WINDSTAR no more on 09/21/05 00:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This is not a family vehicle when the transmission goes out during a blizzard in the middle of nowhere. We have replaced the rack & pinion steering, 4 oxygen sensors, valve cover, max air intake, all door locks and transmission. It took the transmission shop 6 months to repair right because Ford sent them faulty parts. The battery keeps going dead because door switches don't work right. I need to get rid of this van before something else goes wrong. I just feel bad for who ever gets it. When we contacted Ford, they blew us off. My wife HATES everything about this van! I laugh to think that Ford redesigned the van and now call it a Freestar. Will the new name really make them better?

Best van for the money
By Brolis on 09/05/05 16:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I own a 1999 Windstar SEL which I bought used. The van is fantastic. Very comfy for short and long haul driving. Am getting 22 mpg on the highway which is great, but it drops to 17 city driving. This is a very solid, well built van which I like much better than the 1999 counterparts. It is long wheelbase but very easy to park. The dual a/c is fantastic and ice cold. Just oil change every 6 months along with regular service and it keeps running great. Now approaching 80k and knock on wood, no problems. Highly recommend this wonderful minivan.

It's good on the inside
By Nate1tate on 07/30/05 01:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this van because we had a second kid on the way. It was fine for family trips and such at first, but the alternator went with under 60K miles. Had major engine problem that required installation of a special valve and head gasket. Trouble with power sliding doors staying on track. Had tranny gasket leak, speed sensors, etc. After reading these reviews I'm worried about the steering and tranny now. Buying used we got an upgraded interior. That's the best part of the whole van. I'm not totally unhappy with it, just tired of spending money on it. Trade value is miserable and makes me want to hold on to a vehicle that will likely cost much more before I can afford another car.

My Ford Nightmare
By Ron Melancon on 07/08/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought a new 1999 Windstar and thank goodness I got the extended warranty. Because after 36,000 miles, every five months something has gone wrong. It has cost the warranty company over $18,000 dollars to date. It is so bad they did not offer to extend my coverage. Now the van has only 80,000 miles on it and my wife wants to get rid of it. Why in the world would anybody produce a car and have it break down so often? Here is some of what happened: 38,000 replaced transmission 42,000 replaced full rack and pinion steering 48,000 new head gasket 52,000 new left ball joint and strut, also checked weird thump on the driver side, did not find anything 58,000 new cold start valve.

All FORD Acronyms Apply
By Ed Mann on 06/30/05 09:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought new. Less than 50k in almost six years. Paint peeled after 3rd year, power steering rack and other components replaced at 13k AND 43k, front disc brake pads replaced at 25k AND 48k, two power door locks intermittent, stereo cuts out on one side, head gasket failed at 43k, rear brake lights constantly failed (replaced sockets), gas mileage under 20 MPG. What's next? Will not buy another Ford product. I have had great success with Toyota products and will go back to them next time we are in the market for a vehicle.