1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Windstar - Maybe it will get you there
By Nancy on 01/12/07 07:36 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This van has been a total disappointment. We've had problem after problem, some of which left me stranded on the side of the road with my three kids in the car. Problems range from transmission to electrical to mechanical. Every problem that results in a visit to the Ford Service department takes days to fix. I bought the van because of the high safety rating - I didn't feel safe stuck in the breakdown down lane of I-95. I cheaped out and didn't buy the Toyota Sienna back in '99, I won't make the same mistake this time. I hear Ford is getting out of the minivan business due to lack of demand of minivans. They must mean lack of demand of their poorly built piece of garbage van.

Never Again
By Karen E on 11/30/06 11:01 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Worst, most unreliable vehicle ever. We are looking at cars and won't even consider Ford after our Windstar experience. Nearing 50K miles needed new transmission. Interior lights and locks don't work properly. Noises galore. Check engine light perpetually on - need to clear this for third time at 60K. Clunky metal squeak from rear of car. Windshield cracked twice above rearview mirror which kept falling off. Tires went bald at 20K. Nightmare.

Done With Fords
By Towers on 11/18/06 13:07 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I needed a minivan because we were having twins. It was a great vehicle while the kids were infants. Easy to get babies into and out of the vehicle,and was roomy enough for everything. Too many problems were shared between me and another Windstar owner: both had idling problems in the morning; both have a transmission that slips; both have a stuck temp. control switch; and both have a check engine light due to a vacuum leak. It's a safe vehicle that is great on road trips, but it's time for a more reliable vehicle for me.

Not a happy camper
By Not A happy camper on 11/12/06 04:54 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

New transmission at 37,000 miles; this was a nightmare since the new transmission still slips. New rack at 38,000. At 99,000 I am installing a newer used motor due to the loss of the original motor. I would drive this van off a cliff but can't find one high enough around here. I now have a new Toyota Tundra in the driveway.

Excellent family car!
By Mima on 09/28/06 21:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Excellent car for a family. Very reliable. Had great fun with a lot of trips with it. Good riding, like a newer car. Overall - very satisfied of it.

Would not buy another
By kari on 07/08/06 08:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I hate this minivan! The gas mileage stinks! And we have tried to give it a tune up, but nothing works. On our best day we get 10mpg in town and like 16 highway. Will buy foreign next time for the better mpg. And I am an "American" car fan!

I like mine
By uaw2317 on 05/01/06 18:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought with 110,000 miles on it. It now has 125,000. I know that's not much for a review but I have had zero problems with mine. Not even an odd noise. And the paint still looks new.

Last Ford Van
By mark in cincinnati on 10/27/05 08:16 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I had no reason not to purchase a Ford with five relatives working for the company. Until my van turned 36k only regular maintenance & recalls were required. Since then: 3 transmissions, antilock brakes, heater core. Luckily I had a great service adviser that allowed me to purchase the extended warranty. So my cost for the transmissions was limited to $700. Factory trained/certified mechanics failed to bolt one of the brackets on the second rebuild requiring the third repair 8K miles later.

DON'T BUY A FORD!
By WINDSTAR no more on 09/21/05 00:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This is not a family vehicle when the transmission goes out during a blizzard in the middle of nowhere. We have replaced the rack & pinion steering, 4 oxygen sensors, valve cover, max air intake, all door locks and transmission. It took the transmission shop 6 months to repair right because Ford sent them faulty parts. The battery keeps going dead because door switches don't work right. I need to get rid of this van before something else goes wrong. I just feel bad for who ever gets it. When we contacted Ford, they blew us off. My wife HATES everything about this van! I laugh to think that Ford redesigned the van and now call it a Freestar. Will the new name really make them better?

It's good on the inside
By Nate1tate on 07/30/05 01:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this van because we had a second kid on the way. It was fine for family trips and such at first, but the alternator went with under 60K miles. Had major engine problem that required installation of a special valve and head gasket. Trouble with power sliding doors staying on track. Had tranny gasket leak, speed sensors, etc. After reading these reviews I'm worried about the steering and tranny now. Buying used we got an upgraded interior. That's the best part of the whole van. I'm not totally unhappy with it, just tired of spending money on it. Trade value is miserable and makes me want to hold on to a vehicle that will likely cost much more before I can afford another car.