1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Never again will I buy a Ford
By Sthebkrman on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

The first thing that broke was the rack and pinion power steering system. I paid a $50 deductable for about a $1300 repair job. Then the transmission started shifting very roughly between 1st and 2nd gears. Ford said they replaced something but there would always be a little shutter when it shifts. They said this would have cost me around $2400 without the warranty. The whole van still shakes profusely when it shifts. Now the front heater temp. valve is broken and the engine light is always on. The right side elec. sliding door has never closed correctly. It comes unlatched after it closes. I have to close it manually. Chucks of plastic chrome coating have fallen off of the grill.

1999 Windstar SEL
By Dale Mann on 03/12/02 10:13 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

II leased this van in 1999. It was at Ford within the first week for repairs. The van has had a number of recalls and repairs. Tires and brakes had tto be replaced at about 25k. Gas mileage is bad, about 15mpg. This van iis expensive to own and operate. I finally stopped driving this van about a year ago and purchased a new car.

Still have hope
By MB on 03/06/02 13:49 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

20 K miles into this model I have had the intake manifold replaced, a wiring harness replaced, the vehicle does shift hard down into 2nd and after an oil change there is a burning oil smell that comes out of the air vents when the vehicle for about a month.I have 15K left on the warranty and I do have a extended power train warranty, but I just want a defect free van. It rides nice, is great for kids but with only 21K miles I am certainly questioning the decision not to go with the Odyssey.

Bad Transmission
By lou on 03/05/02 21:06 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

This is our first minivan and we loved it.We bought it new as I hoped that fact would keep us out of the shop and trouble free. The automatic transmission failed at 36,095 miles. The dealer says its out of warranty, but good news... it will only cost me $200.00 plus the cost of the tow. Well I thought that was a break, and I am thankful but, this is a major problem that should not happen at all yet this soon. I've owned five Fords in all. I'm not sure about the next.