Used 1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Been good to us
By Dadto2

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought our SEL just before our first was born. Now 4.5 yrs later we have 2 and the Windstar is still getting it done. Great family & Home Depot hauler. The leather has held up well and the carpet is very tough. We shopped for a new van/suv 2 weeks ago and didn't find anything that motivated us to replace the Windstar. I change the coolant, trans & PS fluids every year. Other than routine maint it has needed a MAF sensor, battery & tie rod ends. Our dealer returned it in 1/2 day each time. No cost w/ext warr. We ALWAYS buy them. Any late model vehicle can break the bank without one. The power doors are a great with an armful of kids, groceries, etc.

Favorite Features

Styling, power doors, power front seats, 4 captains chairs, built- in "systems" check.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage. SERVICE TIPS: Change the coolant, trans & power steeing fluid yearly to avoid big $$$ repairs. If your power doors "act up" replace the van's battery.

Don't Walk, Run From a 1999 Windstar
By mroberts35

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I bought a 1999 Windstar used from a dealership. It had 36,000 miles when we bought it and we thought we were getting a good deal. The engine light went on befor we got it home from the dealer. Thank goodness for the extended warrenty we bought, and a good dealership, becasue the light went on 4 more time within the next 4,000 miles. I had read about all the problems others had had but we bought it anyway, figuring who writes in good reviews. Now I know why they were all bad. Don't buy this car..please!

Favorite Features

dual sliding doors. A must have

Suggested Improvements

reliability!!!

How can Ford keep selling this junk?
By Bummed customer

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I thought maybe I was the exception and just had made a horrible mistake. After reading these reviews I realize I am in solid (and unfortunately miserable) company. It is hard to conceive of how Ford can keep selling this garbage with a straight face. When I talked to the "service supervisor" about how shocked I was that the tranny died at 50K miles, he nodded and said "yep, that really shouldn't happen." Then I had to be the jerk attorney I can be and threaten them with all kinds of bad stuff just to get a new tranny for $800. Never again. Buy foreign, you won't be sorry.

Favorite Features

Roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Build a van you can be proud of for Chrissake!

Problems with 99 Windstar
By mjrmc

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Liked this car initially, however, developed a "check engine" light problem that persisted for several months and about $1100+ dollars later. Also had suspension problems in front. Engine was stalling and running rough. Not Ok for me, this car has low mileage (65K) and shouldn't be like this. Can you say Toyota or Nissan??

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to improve its relability.

better buy an extended warranty!
By familytruckster

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

When it's running right, it is very pleasant and does what it's supposed to do. The 3.8 V6 is plenty for most. Pretty good visibility for a minivan. Looks great. Had it a little over a year and have had several problems. Window motor, some seals, guage lights flickering, paint chips too easily, sensors gone bad. Thankfully nothing like major engine and trans work. Just aggrevating little stuff. Without the extended warranty I bought, I would have had to shell out quite a bit of coin.

Favorite Features

Versatility. Remove bench seats and haul plywood, etc... Remove backseat only and have a lot of room for family of 4 to pack up. Very pleasant and comfortable to drive on long trips. Plenty of engine.

Suggested Improvements

Read carefully, YOU WILL WANT THE 4 DOOR MODEL!!! Sideways mounted V6 is nearly inaccessable to work on (remember the extended warranty!)