Used 1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Too much grief
By mnmlst

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought new for $24,000 all up in May '99. Now has 54,000 miles. 4-door LX with dual a/c. Ended up at the dealer a lot that first year: cruise control (3 trips to fix), liftgate piston failed, battery died, cabin air vent mechanism came loose and stopped the HVAC, taillight came loose, rear wiper motor died, odometer is 4 percent off. Since that teething period it's needed a manifold repair ($1100) and new front brake rotors. Cabin lights strobe, passenger side front seat is jammed in its track, upholstery wearing out quickly. Get a GOOD, extended warranty. Pay a lot for foreign and avoid the repair shop or pay less for domestic, then pay the repair shop. Six of one...

Favorite Features

Separate A/C controls; three children love that. Good power, easy driving, cold a/c, rear wiper, cupholders, cheap oil changes, gets 17 mpg around town, nice loading and lifting heights.

Suggested Improvements

Engine should be quieter. Once a vehicle model has a reputation, it doesn't make sense for the manufacturer to spend a lot improving it. Windstar rep is so bad it got a new name. Freestar will be garbage too. Ford, start over.

Lost My Shirt along with My Patience
By dissappointed_buyer

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Purchased this van because of a growing family and its crash ratings. Fine for the first 3yrs/30K miles. At 35K: engine knock-$600 (warranty expired). At 38K: new transmission(dealership had bungled the Ford After Warranty Program that would have saved us $$)negotiated $1500, Ford Motor Co wouldn't talk to us. At 39.5K miles engine knock was back. Dealership est. $1300. Took it to a mechanic who spent 2 days - made "some" improvements for $300 and advised me to get rid of it. I did. Also had a few intermintant problems: cabin light flashing & warning signal sounding for no apparent reason. Good Ridence.

Favorite Features

I liked the way it looked. We had the back up sensor which was helpful with such a long vehicle and kid's toys in the driveway - That was an option that paid for itself.

Suggested Improvements

Take responsibility for your quality. It is soooo poor that not only is Ford giving themselves a bad name but they are tarnishing all American auto makers. There was no way I was going to buy anything but a Honda or a Toyota.

1999 Windstar LX
By F.O.R.D.

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have 83K. The front end has had problems since day one. I had bad pinging caused by leaky intake manifold gaskets ($1000). Rack & Pinion went bad ($600). Rear window leaks. Dealer installed remote keyless entry has never worked properly.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior, powerful V6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Quality needs to be job one again at Ford. I'll be looking hard and long at Toyota and Honda in a year when I go to replace this vehicle.

I will never own another Ford
By fordhater1

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 99 Ford Windstar used from a reputable dealer. After having it for 10 months, the interior and exterior lights began to dim. The fan blower began to surge and the dome lights would flicker on and off at any given time. A days later the battery was dead. Something id draining the battery, but 3 Ford dealerships cannot find the root cause. The van has been in the shop for the last 6 months and counting. We my have driven it for 3 weeks out of the last 6 months. Never buy a Ford product.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Manufacture a product that works, and improve on customer service.

1999 Windstar - Its been a great trip
By imbartman

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have had this car since new and have had an excellent experience. This car has travelled hard and never let us down. It is a comfortable van with a nice ride, but not so cushy that you are afraid to use it. The throttle and engine noise is a little more 'throaty' than most, but the power is smooth and plentiful. I would have no problem selling this car to a friend - even with 120,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Cupholders everywhere, seats fold easily and are removed easily.

Suggested Improvements

Fold Flat 3rd row seats - I think they do this now. These fold flat, but not into the floor. They have to be removed.