1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Ford Windstar
By ladd on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

It sways too much during normal driving at safe speeds. There have been three recalls in three years which says a lot. No improvements in at least thirty years in the electrical system. Fords have problems with tail and stop/warning lights frequently burning out and the modular problems which I first incurred in my 1978 Mercury Colony Park to this day are not corrected. On steep inclines when shifting from park into gear, there is a loud clunk in the transmission yet Ford claims they do not know the cause.

1999 Ford Windstar LX Mini-Van.
By Frogger21 on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I Just recently purchased a Ford Windstar LX Mini-Van, and was very impressed with it's performance, space, and overall handling. I did my research, compared vehicles, trucks, suv's and vans. After weeks of searching for the right vehicle I have to say that Ford was "The Right Choice". I also have a Wife & Two Boys, and they could not be any happier with my decision.

Very pleased - a great van
By edsunder on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

The van has been a pleasure to drive since we got it. It's got lots of room and is comfortable for our family of 6.

never again!!!
By statchick on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I fell in love with the styling a year and a half ago too bad it has never run right. Replaced the brakes at 25,000, needed new tires just to keep on the road without sliding off. Transmission needs replacing at 50,000. I am dumping this one asap and never buying Ford again.

Very Happy
By Ethan on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought our first Windstar in 1999, have since bought a second (2002), and will shortly buy our third. I can't tell you how happy we have been. The only time spent in the shop has been for the recalls and this seems to be a very small price to pay to make sure the van is running well. With cars from other manufacturers that I have owned in the past, this includes German and Japanese cars, I have had to make similar types of repairs, but I had to pay for them.

Don't buy one
By Loeters on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I am almost at the end of my 3 year lease and I cannot wait to give it back. I am so sick of the noisy transmission, wind noice, squeaks, rattles and recalls. It is a good looking vehicle but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. You would think after all these years Ford could build a proper transmission pay more attention to quality.

Better than Expected
By flin1 on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We bought this van mainly because it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for around a year and we got a great price on it. I'd driven a rental Windstar and liked it and my wife thought we needed a van for our 5 person family. We've had good luck with Fords and this was no different. It is surprisingly quiet, and smooth riding. The base engine gives pretty good power and also pretty good mileage. The dealer service has been excellent on a few minor problems, radio and a minor paint problem.

Ford - Stick to Trucks
By nofordvans4meagain on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I have owned 6 Fords now. Never again will I own a non-truck Ford. My Winstar SEL has had major steering and transmission problems. I had a manifold problem too. Also, the interior had several items fall off. Transmission is still horrible. The new 2002 are no better. We tried one. Stay away from these vans. You will be happy you did.

ford windstar 99
By lyle truax on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

the car is very comfy. so far the only drawbacks were three call backs but they fixed them in a timely matter tires only lasted 19000 miles. so far we enjoy the car pretty much. it has about 31000 miles. we will see what the future brings.

Ford has work to do on their cars/vans
By Mike McGinnis on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

The windstar is a sharp vehicle inside and out. However, the recalls, windows leaking air down the road, very noisy and squeaky brakes tend to drown out the enjoyment of driving a sharp vehicle. The power door seems to never close properly, always having to give it an extra push or pull to get the door ajar light to go off!