1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Never again
By PPenuela on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Very dissapointed. Engine problems at 72.000 miles ($900). At 75.000 the Engine light is on again. It was fixed for $1100. Just this week at 75.200 miles, problems with the steering wheel, another $400. My first American car and the last one. I am going back to Japanese cars.

Hello Ford? No Answer.
By bigdriver222 on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

With a new child we went looking for a safe and affordable minivan we could 'grow' into. However 53,000 miles down the road I am ready to drop my Windstar like a bad habit. First problem was at 43,000 miles - a new transmission. Ford offered to 'help' with 80% of the costs, still that's money you shouldn't have to shell out after 43,000 miles. Then 1,000 miles later the Rack and Pinion steering went out. $700 more dollars. Just yesterday the air intake system went. I would not buy a Ford again unless they offered a 10 year/100,000 bumper to bumper - on everything from light bulbs to engine block. Be afraid - be very afraid.

Repairs, Repairs & More Repairs
By Brucel on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

The transmission went out at 30,000. It was then rebuilt. It went out again @ 54,000. Ford will not take full responsibility for this hunk of junk. There have been many other repais as well as numerous recalls. I am unable to get in touch with the District Manager for Northeast Illinois. No one will give me that information,. Who does Ford think they are? This is my first and last Ford. I had bought it for its safety features. The transmission has gone out twice in traffic--really safe!

No more Fords!!!
By ExFordGuy on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

TERRIBLE RELIABILITY. Numerous recalls, intake valve problem, 3 batteries in 3 years, electrical short, power doors broke 4 times, noisy engine, towed 3 times because it wouldn't start. All this and the car is kept meticulously in our garage. It only has 28,000 miles. It will be our ex-car soon!

One bad minivan
By Unhappy Dad on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

the 1999 edition is HORRIBLE! Our first Windstar was wonderful- no problems and 75k miles. This one was the WORST car we have ever owned- engine was replaced at 30k; transmission broke at 52k; electric was always having problems; battery died monthly. A LEMON is a nice name for this vehicle. FORD= Fix Or Repair Daily (at least monthly)

25 is to young to die.
By young on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have a 3.8L 99 windstar with 25,000 miles on it. I have always followed the schedueled maintainance. While driving 45 mph suddenly the van lost power and the engine light came on. Today the engine was diganoised with no compression in two cylinders. The dealer recomended I replace the long block for around $5,000.00.

Beyond Good
By Rodriguez on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This mini van is nice and comfortable for the whole family. Great for long trips. I got up to 600 miles to the tank on long distance. Need more pep small engine for heave cargo. It has 3.8 Liter, 200 hp, 26 gallon tank. I am some what happy, but there's room for improvement. Local mpg I only get 400 miles to the tank.

Ticking Bomb Windstar
By Slee on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

My first impressions were overall good though the fit and finish of the car when new bothered me a bit cause it was kind of shoddy from the carpet to plastic mouldings all around in the interior. Had to replace front brakes at 29,000 miles. The electrical system from the interior lights, doors and ignition have been problematic since the beginning and the transmission kinda of thumpy. I feel since am just out of warranty very vulnerable to the historical tranny problems and weighing my options. Overall quality and relability issues experienced first hand want me to sell ASAP and reduce losses.

transmission
By falibota on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Had to replace the transmission at 40000 miles at my cost. Less than 3 yrs. old, no help from ford or dealer. Transmission was making noise from day one, dealer convinced me that was normal. 3 nhtsa were issued for that problem, still no help.

Avoid at All Cost!!
By slbenz on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Purchased new in 4/99 and in the three years I have owned it, the van have been in the dealership four times for power doors that would not close all the way shut. The driver's door handle internals broke and at 29.5K miles, the transmission failed and had to be rebuilt. Gas mileage is poor, it was advertised to be 19 city 23 highway but in reality is closer to 15 city 20 highway and that is not with a full load. Handling and drivability is on par with the best. Also, there is too much wind and road noise that enters the cabin. Won't buy a Ford again.