1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Nice minivan
By yermom123 on 04/01/13 15:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Its a good car, when the transmission works. I have had to replace it 3 times. Honestly it drives really smooth! 200,000 miles and just took it to Nashville, Tennesse which is about a 12 hour drive from my house. Does well in the snow. I have had it for 14 years and no major problems except the tranny. It is very confortable. I am 6ft and 275 pounds and am very comfortable driving it. I feel really safe driving my kids in it with the triple 5 star crash test rating. Would recommend this vehicle, but make sure the tranny is good first!

MONEY PIT! PLEASE DONT BUY!
By chicmama004 on 01/29/13 22:58 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

My husband and I bought this car at 90k miles. We have had nothing but trouble! This car was well maintained with records but around 100k the engine light came on and would not go off no matter what the mechanic fixed. We had to replace the water pump, timing belt and then 5k miles later another water pump. It drains batteries very fast. The worst thing is that the automatic doors jammed and now won't open its to much money to replace them so my kids climb over the front seats to get in the back. The horn quit working also the power locks. Now my mechanic is telling be the freeze plugs need to be replaced and the engine will have to be pulled out. 800 dollars for 49 cent plugs. Horrid!

Transmission Nightmare!
By alkouv on 01/29/13 19:33 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We bought this van with 66,000 miles on it. Once it hit 100,000 miles, it went to pot! We knew the air intake manifold was bad when we bought it, but the dealership gave us the runaround saying they didn't make them anymore so we couldn't get it replaced. Finally found someone to do it years later. It left us stranded in another state when tranny went out around 110,000 miles. B/t tranny and engine work, we spent over $3,000....and then less than a year later....it threw a rod! So to the junkyard it went. I was warned about these before buying them, and I wish I had listened. Please stay far away from these vans!

Stay away
By carboy6 on 03/03/11 20:13 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Transmission went out at 60k. Mechanic said he replaces a lot of ,particularly Windstar, tranny's. Have spent thousands on repairs. Got this car for free with only 12k on it. At first we didn't have any problems but that only lasted about 2 months. Had I known the quality of this model I would have bought my own car. Do not buy this van unless you like feeding mechanics families.

Wish I never had...
By bigiq on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Up until 60K this van worked problem-free and we enjoyed it. The body felt strong and solid. Inside was comfortable and roomy and was nicely equipped with all the typical features. Once we hit 60K (this is when the warranty expires? hmm.) the engine became a nightmare. Every couple of months a major, costly component required replacement. The engine started to leak oil into the spark plug area which was difficult to repair. Then two independent mechanics informed us the entire engine required replacement and that's when we traded it in. This was a frustrating ownership experience. I understand Ford today is a lot better but I don't think I'll buy one again anytime soon.

Sad to see it go!
By Goodall family on 08/06/10 00:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We have had our van for almost 9 years. Bought it with only about 32,000 miles on it. It now has just over 176,000 on it. The transmission is about to go out. We are now shopping for a used car. I will very much miss it! We haven't had to put much money into it, so overall it was definitely a good car for us. I am disappointed the transmission is going out. I would have kept this car much longer otherwise. It is comfortable, roomy and I feel very safe in it. It has had it's share of quirkiness though. We call it a "ghost car" as the interior lights will flash on and off sometimes and we have had lights on the dash go on and off but it would still run fine--didn't bother to have checked

Fix or repair daily ( ford )
By unhappy ford on 04/01/10 18:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

How can a company like this possibly still be in business? Do they really think that after having a bad experience people are going to keep coming back? They build these vehicles to fall apart so that we will pay them to fix them. I took care of this van and things had to be replaced over and over. Transmission at 110,000 km on its way out again at 124,000 km engine light stays on and I cant even insure it because our aircare program wont test vehicles with an illuminated engine light. Tires wear out quickly. Poor gas mileage. I think the only reason it got a 5 star safety rating is because it spends more time in the shop then it does on the road. I will never buy a Ford again!

Workhorse
By Banjo on 02/16/10 08:15 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We bought this baby after it had been on the dealer's lot for a long time and got a good deal on it. We had to replace the tranny at around 100K but otherwise it's been a total workhorse. it's got 150K on it and going strong. It's a bit banged up so we don't worry about throwing just about anything in it. A mechanic told us the 3.0 V6 is the best engine option and it's been good getting around 20 mpg. We hope to get another couple of years out of it.

Don't Do It
By smitty on 11/11/09 04:49 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

We purchased this vehicle used, two old, with about 40,000 miles on it. A comfortable ride, decent fuel economy. We had the extended 100,000 mile warranty. The van had numerous recalls. Spent thousands of dollars for repair after warranty ran out. Van seemed to stay in the shop. My mechanic started to feel bad fixing the van, only to have other things go wrong. Had to replace the transmission. Tie rods went bad. Numerous engine problems. Eventually I sold the van to my mechanic for $500. Then the engine blow on him a month later. Ford needs to be ashamed for selling the Windstar. A total piece of junk and very unreliable.

Ford blew this one bigtime!
By No more Fords on 09/01/09 20:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought car new in 1999. Was worried about the power doors and they did need initial adjustment, but to my surprise they kept working for 10 years. The car rides well, when its working. This car is probably responsible for Ford losing 10's of thousands of customers. The AXOD transmission is the worst designed tranny ever. I know, I had 4 of them in my Windstar. The first went out at 86,000 (2003). The second one lasted 29,000, the third only 23,000. At this rate, Ford should just use velcro to put these in and save me the labor. The forth had 33,000 and was starting to show signs of distress. CASH FOR CLUNKERS is was. I am the proud owner of a 2009 Honda Odyssey.