1999 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Don't Do It
By smitty on 11/11/09 04:49 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

We purchased this vehicle used, two old, with about 40,000 miles on it. A comfortable ride, decent fuel economy. We had the extended 100,000 mile warranty. The van had numerous recalls. Spent thousands of dollars for repair after warranty ran out. Van seemed to stay in the shop. My mechanic started to feel bad fixing the van, only to have other things go wrong. Had to replace the transmission. Tie rods went bad. Numerous engine problems. Eventually I sold the van to my mechanic for $500. Then the engine blow on him a month later. Ford needs to be ashamed for selling the Windstar. A total piece of junk and very unreliable.

Ford blew this one bigtime!
By No more Fords on 09/01/09 20:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought car new in 1999. Was worried about the power doors and they did need initial adjustment, but to my surprise they kept working for 10 years. The car rides well, when its working. This car is probably responsible for Ford losing 10's of thousands of customers. The AXOD transmission is the worst designed tranny ever. I know, I had 4 of them in my Windstar. The first went out at 86,000 (2003). The second one lasted 29,000, the third only 23,000. At this rate, Ford should just use velcro to put these in and save me the labor. The forth had 33,000 and was starting to show signs of distress. CASH FOR CLUNKERS is was. I am the proud owner of a 2009 Honda Odyssey.

1999 Ford Windstar SEL
By MotorStreet on 03/09/09 16:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

The Windstar isn't a good car. The engine is noisy and rough. The transmission in our car had to be replaced after 13000 miles and made rough shifts. The ride is pretty good and the seats are good. There is also a lot of space in the back as well as the cargo area. The problem is that the all the very heavy rear seats have to be removed. The V6 engine is fairly powerful, but it isn't fast at all. The wind noise is the most annoying part of this minivan. The Windstar should get good gas mileage, but ours averaged 14 mpg with a roof rack. The Windstar is a good used buy, but if I were able to make the purchase again I would have chosen the Honda Odyssey.

Mechanical design flaws
By Norma on 02/22/07 17:52 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

There are design flaws in the oil pump that cause engine failure and the transmission is weak. Both had to be replaced BEFORE 100K miles.

Never buy a Ford again
By Chris on 01/19/07 20:34 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

I grew up in a Ford city and a Ford family. Locks and doors don't work consistently, Check engine light is on constantly despite several thousand dollars and trips to multiple dealers; an independent finally told me Ford used inferior parts in the intake manifold, Ford is aware and has published tech bulletins but wouldn't offer to help. The dealers don't care anymore. Do not buy a Ford. I also bought a Lincoln LS, I got tired of visiting it and traded it for a BMW which has been extremely reliable.

poor workmanship
By dissappointed on 03/21/06 15:28 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

The engine has inferior parts. Most people have problem with the check engine light coming on and it will run anywhere from 500-2,000 dollars to repair this problem, depending on if your dealer knows what they are doing. Ford knows of the inferior parts and flaws but will not step up to the plate and say we messed up, lets fix it. Ford needs to step up and take responsibility for this problem.

Ford Windstar 1999
By L. F. Swails on 11/01/05 22:49 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Following are problems experienced beginning with vehicle at 2 or 3 years old: Yellow engine light -- no problem shows on computer check. Mechanic turns off, 1 to 6 months later same thing. At 97,000 miles air intake valve replaced, starter synchronizer replaced, passenger window motor repaired 70,000 miles + or - replace transmission (stranded 4 days 500+ miles from home). In Ford shop two times under warranty for front end problem; 3rd time same symptom, just out of warranty. Ford shop said not same symptom so took van to private shop for repair.

Best van for the money
By Brolis on 09/05/05 16:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

I own a 1999 Windstar SEL which I bought used. The van is fantastic. Very comfy for short and long haul driving. Am getting 22 mpg on the highway which is great, but it drops to 17 city driving. This is a very solid, well built van which I like much better than the 1999 counterparts. It is long wheelbase but very easy to park. The dual a/c is fantastic and ice cold. Just oil change every 6 months along with regular service and it keeps running great. Now approaching 80k and knock on wood, no problems. Highly recommend this wonderful minivan.

feel like i was ripped off
By never buy a ford on 06/29/05 14:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

We bought the car new in 1999. In six years, we put only 50,000 miles on it and expected for it to last another four years to make it worth the money we paid. So far we've had to replace the steering rack, intake gaskets ($600), rod ends, brakes, and suffered with various unfixable noises and broken bits of interior plastic. Now the whole transmission has conked out; the estimate is $2,700 to fix it, and we are done. We are not throwing good money after bad; we walking away from our losses, giving the car to a mechanic for $1000. Ford has nothing to say, neither does the dealer. I am done with Ford; I would never ever trust them again. Don’t buy a Windstar, you'll regret it.

No more Fords 4 me
By spring4888 on 02/10/05 14:55 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Had to replace intake manifold and tie rod ends at 45K miles, transmission at 62K, power steering rack& intake gaskets at 67K, power steering hose and fuel pump at 70K miles. In addition to the routine tires, brakes, flushes and numerous minor things like liftgate hydraulic, CD stuck in the player, sliding door that won't click closed, brakes and 2 alignments. We just can't afford keep this van any longer. The car has taken more "vacations" than we have! We just finished paying it off.