Used 1999 Ford Windstar SEL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Do not buy
By Meechie

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

When I firt purchased in March of 2010 I was excited. We had our 4th child, we needed the room. I purchased with 128,000 miles. First 6 months of owning caliper was sticking which cracked my rotor on front driver side. 2 weeks later the heat sensor went and the water pump along with power steering pump. I knew it's was a older vehicle so I wasn't expecting top notch condition. Only passenger side door unlock and lock when pressing the button, have to unlock and lock driver side doors manually. The driver sliding door keeps sticking so you have to keep putting oil on it or WD-40. I kept regular maintenance (oil changes, breaks etc.) Could never fix antifreeze leak, it would just leak in another spot. Seems like each time I turn around something else needed to be fixed. Each time I got the engine light off to get inspected if comes back on a month later for another issue so I gave up and just waited when it was time to renew the inspection. In 2011 experience signs of transmission failure. August of 2013 around 140,000 miles had head gasket replaced. February of 2014 transmission failed completely, replaced with another used transmission. The cluster instrument also goes hay wire I also had that replace and doing the same thing again. Emergency break never worked from the beginning and still don't. 2013 I had to replace the front frame that holds the transmission and engine due to it rusting out so bad, if i didn't the transmission would of fell on the ground, I talked to Ford but they said they can't do nothing about it. The van now has 146,000 miles on it. This is nothing but a money pit I would not recommend this vehicle to anybody. I wish I would of done my research but you live and learn. Not reliable at all, the only thing I can say I never was stranded I always got home when something went wrong.

Don't Do It
By smitty

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

We purchased this vehicle used, two old, with about 40,000 miles on it. A comfortable ride, decent fuel economy. We had the extended 100,000 mile warranty. The van had numerous recalls. Spent thousands of dollars for repair after warranty ran out. Van seemed to stay in the shop. My mechanic started to feel bad fixing the van, only to have other things go wrong. Had to replace the transmission. Tie rods went bad. Numerous engine problems. Eventually I sold the van to my mechanic for $500. Then the engine blow on him a month later. Ford needs to be ashamed for selling the Windstar. A total piece of junk and very unreliable.

Great room inside. Comfortable to drive when running.

Reliability.

Ford blew this one bigtime!
By No more Fords

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought car new in 1999. Was worried about the power doors and they did need initial adjustment, but to my surprise they kept working for 10 years. The car rides well, when its working. This car is probably responsible for Ford losing 10's of thousands of customers. The AXOD transmission is the worst designed tranny ever. I know, I had 4 of them in my Windstar. The first went out at 86,000 (2003). The second one lasted 29,000, the third only 23,000. At this rate, Ford should just use velcro to put these in and save me the labor. The forth had 33,000 and was starting to show signs of distress. CASH FOR CLUNKERS is was. I am the proud owner of a 2009 Honda Odyssey.

Nice styling and interior features. Got to trade my Canadian built Ford Windstar for a Honda built in Alabama.

Fire the whole AXOD/AN4S transmission design team. Fire management who would stand behind this lemon. All 4 of my transmissions were factory Fords replaced at the dealership. Ford did not care. My family has may cars to buy in our lifetime and none of them will be Fords!

1999 Ford Windstar SEL
By MotorStreet

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

The Windstar isn't a good car. The engine is noisy and rough. The transmission in our car had to be replaced after 13000 miles and made rough shifts. The ride is pretty good and the seats are good. There is also a lot of space in the back as well as the cargo area. The problem is that the all the very heavy rear seats have to be removed. The V6 engine is fairly powerful, but it isn't fast at all. The wind noise is the most annoying part of this minivan. The Windstar should get good gas mileage, but ours averaged 14 mpg with a roof rack. The Windstar is a good used buy, but if I were able to make the purchase again I would have chosen the Honda Odyssey.

Lots of space, comfort, power sliding doors, and safety.

cupholders, build quality, transmission, acceleration, rear seats, noise, and it is very bad to drive.

Mechanical design flaws
By Norma

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan

There are design flaws in the oil pump that cause engine failure and the transmission is weak. Both had to be replaced BEFORE 100K miles.

Very comfortable seating and large cargo area. The seating versatility is great. The vehicle holds its value well considering the flaws.

A stronger transmission and an oil pump that will hold up to use and not cause engine failure when it quits without warning.

• SUV