Used 1999 Ford Windstar LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Don't waste your money
By toomanyfords

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Purchased a used 99 in 2010 with about 100 k miles on it. Within a year the transmission went out. Had it rebuilt and it did fine after that. Bought it with a small oil leak and it burned more and more oil over the next 4 1/2 years until one day the engine seized out of nowhere at 145k miles. I have to say the engine held up for a long time with obvious issues before it finally quit. But... it did have the issues in the first place. Other than that, never had any other problems with it ( lol). My overall impression of this van... well it's not worth the couple thousand they go for used. Save your money.

Favorite Features

The a/c worked good

Suggested Improvements

Stop making them

MONEY PIT! PLEASE DONT BUY!
By chicmama004

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

My husband and I bought this car at 90k miles. We have had nothing but trouble! This car was well maintained with records but around 100k the engine light came on and would not go off no matter what the mechanic fixed. We had to replace the water pump, timing belt and then 5k miles later another water pump. It drains batteries very fast. The worst thing is that the automatic doors jammed and now won't open its to much money to replace them so my kids climb over the front seats to get in the back. The horn quit working also the power locks. Now my mechanic is telling be the freeze plugs need to be replaced and the engine will have to be pulled out. 800 dollars for 49 cent plugs. Horrid!

Favorite Features

Nothing! Well it does have a lot of power driving uphill and passing other cars. Terrible handling in the snow. I have been stranded many times in just a foot of snow. Please don't waste your money buy something anything but this vechicle.

Suggested Improvements

Burn the design! Start over so faimlies can drive something reliable that won't fall appart when you are driving. Shame on you for making such a terrible car.

Transmission Nightmare!
By alkouv

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

We bought this van with 66,000 miles on it. Once it hit 100,000 miles, it went to pot! We knew the air intake manifold was bad when we bought it, but the dealership gave us the runaround saying they didn't make them anymore so we couldn't get it replaced. Finally found someone to do it years later. It left us stranded in another state when tranny went out around 110,000 miles. B/t tranny and engine work, we spent over $3,000....and then less than a year later....it threw a rod! So to the junkyard it went. I was warned about these before buying them, and I wish I had listened. Please stay far away from these vans!

Wish I never had...
By bigiq

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Up until 60K this van worked problem-free and we enjoyed it. The body felt strong and solid. Inside was comfortable and roomy and was nicely equipped with all the typical features. Once we hit 60K (this is when the warranty expires? hmm.) the engine became a nightmare. Every couple of months a major, costly component required replacement. The engine started to leak oil into the spark plug area which was difficult to repair. Then two independent mechanics informed us the entire engine required replacement and that's when we traded it in. This was a frustrating ownership experience. I understand Ford today is a lot better but I don't think I'll buy one again anytime soon.

Favorite Features

Roomy, even in the 3rd row. The design inside the vehicle and out. Body felt very solid. The little curved mirror that allowed you to see the entire cabin behind the driver.

Suggested Improvements

The entire engine! Standard CD player would have been nice. Removable seats are quite heavy. Gas mileage could be higher.

Fix or repair daily ( ford )
By unhappy ford

1999 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

How can a company like this possibly still be in business? Do they really think that after having a bad experience people are going to keep coming back? They build these vehicles to fall apart so that we will pay them to fix them. I took care of this van and things had to be replaced over and over. Transmission at 110,000 km on its way out again at 124,000 km engine light stays on and I cant even insure it because our aircare program wont test vehicles with an illuminated engine light. Tires wear out quickly. Poor gas mileage. I think the only reason it got a 5 star safety rating is because it spends more time in the shop then it does on the road. I will never buy a Ford again!

Favorite Features

It was a nice looking vehicle. I liked the interior. The power locks, tinted windows, good stereo,

Suggested Improvements

How about a transmission that doesn't blow up every 10,000 km. I would rather have a simple vehicle that works and is reliable then a car with a million bells and whistles with reliability issues. I hope ford goes out of business.