Used 1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Wouldn't buy another 99 Windstar!
By Rachelle

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought the van from an elderly couple with only 128k. Seemed great at the time. The blinker for some reason whenever you'd turn on the left one would flash a light on the dash like a bulb was out (it wasn't). No mechanics could figure out the problem. The heater fan quit working. Developed some electrical problem with the dome lights so when your driving at night they'd just randomly come on and stay on or sometimes they'd strobe. The back passenger door quit opening from the inside and would only unlock whenever it decided to. When the door wouldn't unlock you could not do it manually so the kids would have to climb through. Then around 140k the head gasket started leaking and between 140k and 150k the tranny just blew. I am a Ford lover all the way but they totally FAILED with this vehicle!

Do not buy
By Meechie

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

When I firt purchased in March of 2010 I was excited. We had our 4th child, we needed the room. I purchased with 128,000 miles. First 6 months of owning caliper was sticking which cracked my rotor on front driver side. 2 weeks later the heat sensor went and the water pump along with power steering pump. I knew it's was a older vehicle so I wasn't expecting top notch condition. Only passenger side door unlock and lock when pressing the button, have to unlock and lock driver side doors manually. The driver sliding door keeps sticking so you have to keep putting oil on it or WD-40. I kept regular maintenance (oil changes, breaks etc.) Could never fix antifreeze leak, it would just leak in another spot. Seems like each time I turn around something else needed to be fixed. Each time I got the engine light off to get inspected if comes back on a month later for another issue so I gave up and just waited when it was time to renew the inspection. In 2011 experience signs of transmission failure. August of 2013 around 140,000 miles had head gasket replaced. February of 2014 transmission failed completely, replaced with another used transmission. The cluster instrument also goes hay wire I also had that replace and doing the same thing again. Emergency break never worked from the beginning and still don't. 2013 I had to replace the front frame that holds the transmission and engine due to it rusting out so bad, if i didn't the transmission would of fell on the ground, I talked to Ford but they said they can't do nothing about it. The van now has 146,000 miles on it. This is nothing but a money pit I would not recommend this vehicle to anybody. I wish I would of done my research but you live and learn. Not reliable at all, the only thing I can say I never was stranded I always got home when something went wrong.

Don't waste your money
By toomanyfords

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Purchased a used 99 in 2010 with about 100 k miles on it. Within a year the transmission went out. Had it rebuilt and it did fine after that. Bought it with a small oil leak and it burned more and more oil over the next 4 1/2 years until one day the engine seized out of nowhere at 145k miles. I have to say the engine held up for a long time with obvious issues before it finally quit. But... it did have the issues in the first place. Other than that, never had any other problems with it ( lol). My overall impression of this van... well it's not worth the couple thousand they go for used. Save your money.

The a/c worked good

Stop making them

Nice minivan...but
By yermom123

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Its a good car, when the transmission works. I have had to replace it 3 times. Honestly it drives really smooth! 200,000 miles and just took it to Nashville, Tennesse which is about a 12 hour drive from my house. Does well in the snow. I have had it for 14 years and no major problems except the tranny. It is very confortable. I am 6ft and am very comfortable driving it. I feel really safe driving my kids in it with the triple 5 star crash test rating. Would recommend this vehicle, but make sure the tranny is good first!

MONEY PIT! PLEASE DONT BUY!
By chicmama004

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

My husband and I bought this car at 90k miles. We have had nothing but trouble! This car was well maintained with records but around 100k the engine light came on and would not go off no matter what the mechanic fixed. We had to replace the water pump, timing belt and then 5k miles later another water pump. It drains batteries very fast. The worst thing is that the automatic doors jammed and now won't open its to much money to replace them so my kids climb over the front seats to get in the back.
The horn quit working also the power locks. Now my mechanic is telling be the freeze plugs need to be replaced and the engine will have to be pulled out. 800 dollars for 49 cent plugs. Horrid!

Nothing! Well it does have a lot of power driving uphill and passing other cars. Terrible handling in the snow. I have been stranded many times in just a foot of snow. Please don't waste your money buy something anything but this vechicle.

Burn the design! Start over so faimlies can drive something reliable that won't fall appart when you are driving. Shame on you for making such a terrible car.