Never Let Me Down
By Started Every Time! on
1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan
We bought GL model at 6 y/o w/70,000 on it. I must say it has always been very reliable. Started up every morning. I don't recall it ever breaking down on me. The engine on this is a monster. For a van, it has great power and pickup. The transmission too, has great power and pickup. My only problem with this van was it's electrical system. My Aerostar had the same exact problem. Must be a Ford thing. Interior lights go on, won''t go off. A short in the steering column makes it ding w/ the key out. I have to punch the steering wheel to make it stop. Side door dummy light stays on for a while after it's closed. But it was a comfort ride w/room to spare. Great for a family of 5.
Favorite Features
Interior room, Good suspension. Great for traveling long distances with family, luggage etc. Big gas tank, nice for travel, but not nice on the wallet. Versatile seats, fold every possible way and even are removable. Not hard to do either. At 10 yrs old it's still going with no major problems.
Suggested Improvements
The electrical system is a drag. It definitely would've been better with a second slider door. Ah, but it's all over now as I understand Ford no longer makes minivans.