1998 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
worst transmission's
By jdk01 on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

the transmission in this vehicle is the worst i have ever seen. It has been replaced twice and it still shimmers when shifting. beware!

This is the last Ford I will buy!
By Brian Teflen on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this as a relatively new vehicle with only 46,000 miles on it thinking I would be free from repairs. Was I mistaken! We have replaced the transmission and engine, and continue to have transmission problems $6,000 later. We love the size and the comfort, but cannot afford the repairs. We have never been able to relax with this vehicle as it seems there is always a new noise, rattle, or shake.

Very Satisfied
By Stevenff on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought this 1998 Windstar with 89000 miles on it from a GM dealer. It was on their back row. The price was right. I have put on another 45000 miles with absolutely no problems. The only thing I have replace is tires. I really didn't expect this kind of service. Figured I would have to repair something, but everything keeps on going. Was afraid the lack of a 4th door would be a problem, but Ford's stopgap solution of a large driver's door and sliding driver's seat gives adequate access to left rear passenger seat.

Good and Bad
By Oregon on 03/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought this car, used, from a dealership when it had 36k miles; it now has 57k miles. The ride is great. It's roomy and spacious, has great acceleration (3.8L), and the driver's/passenger's view is good. The safety structure is right up with Siennas and Odysseys (www.nhtsa.dot.gov, www.hwysafety.org). The key issue is RELIABILITY. To date, here are the issues : 1)at times the back windows won't work, 2)side views don't function properly, 3)at times the door ajar occurs when all doors are closed, and 4)the transmission in reverse is beginning to rattle (which corresponds to the poorly made transmission I've heard much about).

Not Worth It!
By Brannon on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

My wife and I reallyw wanted a minivan, but I wish I had known what I was getting myself into. This thing sucks up the gas around town and I feel like I'm driving a barge as compared to an automobile. Parking is a nightmare and getting around in heavy traffic is more stress than it's worth.

unbelievably unreliable
By CBrady on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

When I was pregnant with our second child we needed a reliable family vehicle. So we decided on a van. I have always driven Ford so we naturally looked to the Windstar. This car has not only been unreliable (requiring numerous trips to the mechanic as soon as a month after we purchased it) it has at times been unsafe to drive. We recently had to replace the transmission and to tell you the truth this space is not large enough to list all the mechanical difficulties we've had. Do yourself a favor don't buy a Windstar.

98 Ford Windstar
By Tony D on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I have had no mechanical problems with this van over the last six years. I have driven it coss country twice, and in miserable bumper to bumper commutes. It handles easily, and brakes are more than adequate for the size and type of vehicle. I average 19mpg in mixed driving. I've gotten up to 26 on the open road. Minor problems have included noisey suspension, side view mirror broken, cigarette lighter broken, etc Dealer support has been good.

It's a Keeper
By cwnow on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This van has been wonderfull. It is reliable and fun to drive. I use it daily for business, then hope in for weekends on trips with the family. I have had fairly minor problems with the vehicle over time. The only real gripe I have is that the paint job has begun to fade, but being red and in the Florida Sun this was to be expected.

The little things don't count
By mhpe on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Dependable, powerful, economical but annoying. Windshield wiper pockets collect ice and make wipers useless in the snow. Door sensors don't work in cold or wet weather and keeps dome lights on so you can't see for the glare, and it runs battery down. Has had loud but unidentified engine compartment rattle for 80,000 miles. Brake problems. So-so seat comfort. The Windstar has the highest load capacity in its class but needs it just to carry around the removable seats. Don't try to remove them by yourself unless you want a hernia.

Top of mtn @ 70000
By coolgolfer21 on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Purchased used w/17000, beautiful easy enjoyable ride until 70000 miles, then problems. Rebuilt tranny, dozen trips for "service engine lite". All that finally fix (at my cost) and now smooth sailing again. Never fails otherwise, trading for another but four doors this time.