1998 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Roomy vehicle
By FloridaBob on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

My Windstar has given me excellent service to date. I purchased the ESP extended warrenty from Ford and have used it twice. New front wheel ABS sensor and power steering pump. Both after 50,000 miles. Every once in a while a do get a harsh shift in first gear if I come to almost a complete stop then accelerate.

I feel sorry for the next owner
By Last one on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Ride and comfort level is good. The wheels on the GL rattle (they're half hub caps, half aluminum wheels). The a/c cuts out for no reason, the ABS was repaired once and seems to have another problem now. The transmission hasn't gone-out...yet, but something isn't right. Door "ajar" swithches will drive you nuts when out of adjustment. Ford has some problems and they show-up in this van. The worst part about owning this vehicle is the "re-sell" value. It's worth nothing in no-time flat. When compared to my 2001 Honda Accord (with 46,000 miles and no service requirements), Ford clearly has their work cut-out for them.

Ford's Faulty Transmissions
By Ford's victim on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

At 50,000 mi the tranmission had to be replaced due to "neutraling out" at stops. At 36000 mi on the 2nd trans, a major leak of the pan gasket and the torque converter seal. If we hadn't bought the extended powertrain warranty, we would have paid out $2M to fix all the trans probs. Sensor problems repeatly with the doors. Won't ever buy another Ford product even though we've been longtime Ford owners. Ford's cust. service motto must be:"Deny!Deny!Deny!". Just ask Firestone.

Great shaggin wagon!
By Hugh Jass on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This car has been so good to me. I got it from my mom, because she got a new car, and it has only been in the shop once (fender bender). I love to drive, and my freinds love to ride in it when I am driving. It has been all over the country, and is always reliable.

Oh, Man! I don't need this.
By oh, JOY! on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Up to 60,000 ran fine. (Got it at @30,000) Then: Brakes replaced. Brake light faulty. Traction engages inconsistently. Sides like paper - a rub is a $1000 dent. Engine light on and off, computer can't dx, head gaskets "might" leak - symptoms inconsistent. stuck with it for 6 more mos. I'd have given away from week 1 of driving it. Don't go there.

white windstar
By reinert on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

absolutly satisfied, good comfort, robust technic

My First and Last Ford
By R2brat on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Transmission went out at 50,000. Luckily I had the extended warranty. Constant problems with sensors showing a door open when it wasn't. Interior light would stay on because of this. Took in to dealer well over a dozen times. AC made grinding noise intermittently. Ford dealer never heard the problem, so wouldn't fix it. Took it in for that 4 times. Third seat is very hard to take out. Takes 2 people to do it.

I got a good one!
By gblanas on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought my 98 Windstar new, now have slightly over 150,000 mi. on it. The vehicle has been very reliable, have only replaced battery, alternator & serpentine belt at 100,000 mi. All other major mechanical components are original. We towed our pop-up and take many trips throughout New England. The Windstar is very comfortable, I never get a sore back! I do, however agree with most other reviewers about engine noise, lack of power, poor braking, mushy suspension, paint peeling on roof, etc. I recently purchased another minivan, a Honda Odyssey, the Odyssey had much better reviews & ratings in all categories.

Good Van
By awilson on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

It has good utility value

Fords Confusion
By SLM98 on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Limited 3dr Minivan

I bought this van from a family friend who sells cars. Little did I know it would cost me $3000 a year in repairs to keep it going. I foolishly bought it because it looked good and I thought Ford meant quality. It seems 50,000 miles is about as long as atransmission will last. My coworkers soon informed me of numerous expensive problems they had, head gaskets blown, steering racks going, springs breaking, air conditioning controls breaking, etc....etc. And Ford standing there saying we stand behind our product. Aw shucks can't help its past warrenty. Stay away even if it's a freebie.