1998 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
1998 Ford Winstar
By mike Lu on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Excellentperformance,Iwould highly recommend this vehicle. The only thing is not gas efficient.

Expensive Mistake
By 3 Dog Night on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This van has had one problem after another since within 30 days of my purchase! I am currently looking for a new vehicle and the top priorities will be reliability and customer service. I am so digusted with the Windstar's reliability, that I will NEVER buy another Ford!

GREAT FAMILY CAR
By CARMOM on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Can't beat it for family city and vacation driving! No major Problems. A lot of minor irritants, like an engine light that has stayed on for 3 years after being fixed many times.Paint peeling on outside-car looks much older. Door squeaks that come and go. Overall-highly recommend.

Excellent Reliability
By Gary S on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

I have driven my 1998 Windstar 142,000 miles. The only maintenance has been normal items such as oil changes, new brakes, etc. Not a single problem with engine, transmission, or other mechanical items. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Problem brakes and transmission
By keric on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

I've replaced the brake system four times on this van so far. The ABS system fails and the brakes wear very rapidly, requring a total replacement of parts including roters, drums, pads and anything else in the brake system. Very expensive! My co-worker who owned a 1997 version had the same trouble. I've also had to replace the transmission on this van once already.

Nice road vehicle
By wilstjb on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Roomy, comfy, powerful. Feels safe and was rated that way. I bought it new in 1998 and it still looks neat. Dual AC handles hot weather nicely, even with dark green paint. 23 MPG average which I consider good for what it is. Great for long trips. Poor transmission, replaced at 55K. Good thing I had the extended warranty. Rear window motors were both replaced. Local dealer very poor, had to take it to another town to have it serviced and repaired.

I despise this car
By KSimmons on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this car when we lived overseas in Germany and we needed up upgrade from a sedan. It has been an almost constant source of disappointment. We've had to replace the transmission sensor, rework the brakes twice (in one year), and countless other things. Who makes pistons out of plastic?! I'm not a heavy braker, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I also dislike the fact that the van will routinely stall. That makes me feel very unsafe. The mechanic at the dealer could find no cause for this problem. I'm looking for a vehicle to replace this piece of garbage!

Love my Windstar
By mal_racegal on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

Smoothest riding vehicle I've been in as far as a minivan goes. Love it!

125,000 trouble free miles
By rrrust on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought it new and it has been the MOST reliable car we have ever owned (including Toyota Camry, Nissan Sentra, & Mercedes wagon). This was truly a reliable warhorse, hauling kids, pulling 1,500 lb boat/trailer, long trips or city commuting. The ONLY repair was replacement of failing brain controlling intermittant wipers. Van was totaled last week in 45 mph collision (no injuries thanks to airbags, despite teenage passenger NOT wearing seatbelt). Very sorry to see this one go.

1998 Windstar GL
By afrazzano on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I like to maintain my automobiles myself. I change oil, antifreeze and transmission fluid on a regular maintanence schedule. After 80,000 miles, I've had the car to a mechanic for two non-maintanence repairs. My wife drives it regularly and refused to allow me to upgrade it in 2000 when the lease was up. We have been very happy with it and find it inexpensive to own. We have been very happy with it.