1998 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Decent people hauler
By DaleH on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

No mechanical problems. Expected some based on reviews. At 85000 still running fine. Always had problems with interior lights staying on after going through car wash. Mechanic said to spray WD40 on contacts. V6 engine has plenty of Power for the mountains in Colorado.

Best Windstar I've owned
By the moores on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This is the second windstar we have owned and overall are very pleased. Engine seems to have more touque than my v-8 tundra. Quite on highway but engine noisey during hard excelleration. A few rattles but a solid ride.

Worst Purchase Ever
By Krissy254 on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

After about two years we started experiencing major promblems. I've had all of the major belts replaced at least four times. Two power steering pumps within 18 months. Two rack and pinions in less than a year!!! Tie rods, gaskets, several recalled parts, I could go on and on. I was informed at the last monthly mechanic visit that in about 5 months my transmission will be shot. As if this isn't bad enough I have a open door sensor that never turns off and the van makes a extremly loud knocking sound every time I turn the wheel. All in all I will never buy another ford.

my 2 cents
By lisa's mama mobile on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

minimal problems, car still kooks great . exterior paint still looks new. people often remark how well it handles the road & how its a nice quiet smooth drive, runs great !

Great Minivan
By Gerry B on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought our 1998 Windstar GL in early 1999 after being returned from a 1 year lease. I was impressed with the power, roominess, and gas mileage this minivan delivered (about 20-23 mpg). We had a couple of early service issues (replaced front "ball joints" and an early oxygen sensor failure), but otherwise the vehicle perfomed very well. We were sorry to lose this vehicle in a rear end collision, but are impressed enough with this Ford to consider replacing this with another Ford. This time with something smaller and with better gas mileage, with the recent sustained hike in gas prices.

One's enough.
By AD on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

At 135,000 miles developed heat gasket problem and lost the transmission! The cost of repairing the two is more than the value of the vehicle. I'm disppointed. This happened one month after finally paying of the vehicle. I was hoping I'd see another year, at least, before having to worry about serious problems. Now, I've got a real nice "looking" van that isn't worth $300! Rack-and-pinion steering has been bad also; quoted $800+ to repair the steering!

Works for us!
By randt on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar 3dr Minivan

Got the car in 2001 with 32,000 miles on it. It now has 120,000 miles on it and knock wood, no major problems. Twice replaced the brakes, but considering the mileage, can't complain.The same with the tires, replaced all 4..and keep on top of the fluids. The engine light used to be on all the time, but there were no symptoms so the old addage applied..and eventually it went off. We live in a frigid climate, and the car starts each day without a hitch..we have no complaints..and to be honest, I was afraid to buy a Ford.

Overall A Great Value
By twinsmomof3 on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought our van used in 2000(52K miles). It now has 98K miles. We have had one major repair (@ approx. 85K miles)-a sensor on the motor had to be replaced because of hesitating--a few hundred dollars. No problems since then. My only complaints are wind noise from the driver side window and the engine sounds a little like a truck--somewhat noisy. I have three small children in booster seats, and we have PLENTY of room. The 3.8L engine has very adequate power. I have no problem picking up speed to merge into freeway traffic. Even after 98K miles it still performs as well as it did when I bought it--no pinging even with 87 octane gasoline.

Like our Windstar
By Claude Lafler on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We purchased our van new & have only experienced two minor problems: power door lock malfunction and wiper motor failure. It has been a dependable transporter and family hauler. We have heard of transmission problems on this model so we have the trans serviced every 20k miles & have experienced no problems. A great vehicle with more than adequate power!

Nervous Ford owner
By timulator on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

The vehicle has always had an annoying clunk in the front suspension. The power locks started failing at 60k miles and cost $500+ to repair and, 15k later, one of the repaired locks is acting up again. It has been very reliable and has plenty of power and is very comfortable overall. The back seat is a struggle to remove, being so heavy. Storage compartments are pathetic. I'm not a big Ford fan, but I have liked this Windstar so far.