1998 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Transmission problems
By andrea on 01/31/05 09:44 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this car used at 70K miles, six months later the transmission went up. I replace brakes once a year and the interior light/door ajar bell won't go off in the winter time. 2 yrs. later, transmission went up again at 120K. I will never buy another Ford! The only good thing about the van, comfy seats and easy to get our 2 small children in and out of. I am going to purchase a Toyota or Honda this weekend!

Solid
By jimmy463j on 01/26/05 13:02 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has been one of the most dependable I've ever owned. We have put over 100,000 miles on it and have only had to do normal maintenance and replace the door switches twice. It's performance for a minivan is above average, in my opinion. I've driven Chrysler, GM, and Japanese minivans and none come close.

'98 Windstar has been a great car
By hartnj on 12/22/04 22:41 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this pretty basic model Windstar about 7 years and 100k miles ago and it still runs great - a bit scratched-up, but runs great. Loads of power and still a smooth ride.

Good, but....
By JSBNews on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Limited 3dr Minivan

This has been a good vehicle, considering it was an emergency purchase, but I wouldn't buy one again. It's all over the road, and has some funny quirks even my mechanic can't figure out. Great for hauling people and stuff, but not very fun to drive.

Windstar is bad after 50000
By Cody jo on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar 3dr Minivan

I had problems with my van after 50000. Lots of small repairs

Run away as fast as you can!
By disgruntled consumer on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This is by far the worst car we have every owned. Multiple brake jobs, sensor failure, door lock failure, tie- rod failure. I could go on and on. The transmission has failed 3 times; 52,000, 84,000 and and 96,000. Each time slightly outside the warranty. I called for and they told me "There is no inherent problems with the Windstar transmissions." BALONY! Ford didn't even offer a discount as a goodwill gesture. Buying a new car next week... a HONDA!

Finally getting out from under this
By Jacki S on 08/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Have had bad luck with this one. Replaced rear wiper motor, ball joints, tie rod ends, ignition relay, water pump, mass air flow sensor, and am on my fourth trip to the tranny shop at 103K miles. This van ditched our family of five twice driving from NY to SC for vacations. Owe more on it now than I can get in trade in, have to roll extra into new loan. I want to stay in an American made vehicle but am very disappointed with reliablity of this van. Typical problems with overhead lights/door ajar dummy lights, overall rattling, lost a hubcap, bad springs, excessive brake work, on and on.

Windstar Reliability
By CEPJ on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

The reliability the 1998 Ford windstar has been poor over the last two years of ownership. At approxiately 98,000 miles we had a new certified Ford transmisson installed. Numerous tie rod ends problems have occured over the last three years. This vechicle was purchased new in August 1998 and has been a one owner family vechicle. Our latest problem has been the failure of a computer module.

Harrison Ford Windstar
By Golferdavecan on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. We travel South from Alberta to Arizona, 2000 mile each way, twice per year for the last 6 years with NO PROBLEMS. Now that is dependability. Plus traveling to the mountains to ski at least every 2 weeks in the winter ( 500 miles ). What a great vehicle. I will keep it until it rusts out or 300,000 mile.

No problems here
By JackReed133 on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I've had no problems with this van.