1998 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Rambling Wreck
By joetomburk on 09/17/06 09:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Probably a lease return as the car had approximately 18,000 miles when I purchased. Problems began with defective radiator hose which was replaced by the dealer. After that I bore the brunt of all repairs including intake manifold gasket (luckily not the head gaskets since it was only $600 to repair rather than $1200). Front end extremely noisy and have made multiple trips to the mechanic with little change. Things are better for a while and then back to normal (clunking noise). Have experienced similar problems with door ajar indicator-heavy doses of WD 40 in all of the locks usually cures this ill. Brakes a shaky at best. First and last purchase of any Ford product.

Last Ford
By chris D on 12/28/05 16:52 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Limited 3dr Minivan

We purchased the vehicle new from the dealership and had great luck until about 30,000 miles. We then kept having basic problems including continual brake problems, Blown head gasket, Intake manifold, Electrical problems on windows and door locks. I have spent an additional $6,000 over 7 years to keep it running with no help from Ford. At this point, 113,000 miles, I will keep it because it's not worth anything unless the transmission or something else goes. This is my last Ford, they have made a loyal Toyota customer from me.

Don't Buy This Car
By Blaine Kemsley on 11/20/05 16:17 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We have had more costs for repairs for this car than the car itself cost 5 years ago, and way more than it's worth today. Everything from the engine to the wheel covers have been trouble. We have had to repair or replace the radiator, wheel bearings (all of them), power steering pump, windshield wiper motor, oxygen sensors, exhaust manifold gaskets, head gaskets, serpentine belt pulley, front axle, dozens of lug bolts and the silly sunburst wheel covers 6 times. Why they have a wheel cover on an alloy wheel is beyond me. I would never recommend this car to anyone.

Very Good Experience
By John_Denver on 11/02/05 00:23 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this van with 32k on it and it's been very reliable. I change the fluids regularly. We live in Denver and love skiing so we take it up in the mountains 20-30x a year. No transmission or engine problems ever. It has good power with the 3.8l. I think we're only replaced the water pump and brakes a couple times.

Reliable by anybody's standards
By Lynn on 10/13/05 15:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Don't believe everything you hear about Ford quality and reliability. This vehicle (7 yrs, 140,000 miles) has been proof that Ford builds good vehicles. Of course there have been repairs, but all were inevitable based on the age of the vehicle.

nice van
By fords rule on 05/22/05 07:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Well we have had 2 1998 Windstars and both have been real good. The first was the base 3.0 with power group. We had it for 1 year and put 89,000 miles on it because we travel from Maine to Boston 2 times a moth. It was a good van on the interstate. The 2 was a 98 Northwoods full power and was a real good van to have too. Had no problems with it at all we have had ‘99 ’00 and ‘01 Windstars and all have been good to have.

Don't Buy It
By Dave on 05/05/05 10:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

At 35,800 miles my transmission went out while my family and I were on a trip. Ford fixed it, but it still never acted like it shifted correctly. Too many recalls. Front coil springs were recalled, of all things. Had multiple sensors go bad. Every garage we took it to warned us of the known transmission troubles. Sold it and bought a new Chrysler T & C.

Not bad for a Ford!
By Rodgela on 03/12/05 15:21 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

It's been a great vacation vehicle for us. There are a lot of storage cubbies to put a variety of camping items like flashlights, utensils, and other sundries. There's a lot of space inside; plenty for our family of four on a 2-3 day trip. It seats seven when we're visiting friends and grandparents, aunts and uncles so that we can travel to our destination in one vehicle. We have not had to repair anything in the two years we have owned it. We're the second owner and we bought it from friends that did not have problems with it either.

The last Ford
By TJO on 02/21/05 08:12 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I've been driving Fords for 30 years, and this will be the last one. I only had one problem with this van in 96,000 miles. The transmission blew at 69,000 miles. I think this is inexcusable. I sent a letter to Ford and told them that if they did not chip in on the repair that this would be the last Ford I ever purchased. They did not respond. I thought the least they could do is send me a coupon for my next car. So my next car will not be a Ford, and this was their choice.

this is funny
By Tony on 02/12/05 21:20 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This is funny. I see all these bad reviews for a GREAT vehicle. Don't let these affect your purchase. I've put 130,000 miles on mine and only thing that went wrong was a rear wiper motor. The transmissions are fine as long as you service them correctly and aren't pulling your boat behind it. I bet if i asked all these people with tranny probs if they were towing with it, they'd say yes. It's a MINIVAN. Not a workhorse.