Used 1998 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Ok, It's a Van
By Muddman

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Bought this Windstar back in 2000 and have driven about 167000 miles with it. Only once did we have a tranny replaced, but I don't remember the mileage. Also had an incident when it refused to shift coming back from a ski trip in WV. Nursed it back, to find that it was a faulty computer chip. Have taken numerous trips to MI (about 1000 mile each way) and has always been solid. The only real issue with my van is that, in the summer it "bings" at you when the driver side door is open and continues to "bing" until you reach 15 mph. The whole time the interior lights will stay on, and the door ajar light stays on. Have had this problem twice. Aparently it's a harness in the steering colum.

3.8L has plenty of power, 2nd row seats lean back, radio controls in the 2nd row. Sound system is nice. Very strong (had a Datsun truck total itself on the back bumper)

Please find a way to fix the tranny problems. Improve the steering colum to stop that "Binging" in the summer. It eats gas (in the city is the worst) about 14-16 mpg (highway's not bad 18- 22)

Served me well
By Intel Timmy

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Look in any car buying guide and you'll read to stay away from this vehicle. My 3.8 liter Windstar served me well and all I can tell you is that I sold it a few months ago with 187,000 miles and I never had a problem with it. I religiously changed the oil and rotated the tires. It has tons of interior room, decent gas mileage and a pretty smooth ride. I hauled 1,100 lbs of bagged rocks behind the third row seat, numerous 4 x 8 sheets of drywall and other things and it kept going strong. Of course, I washed it once a week, waxed it twice a year and kept up the vehicle very, very well. I sold mine a few months ago for $2,000 and probably could have gotten more.

Storage, decent mileage

The vehicle corners and has a turning radius similar to an aircraft carrier! Pathetic. Also, it drives like an overweight Sumo wrestler with a steering wheel.

Never Let Me Down
By Started Every Time!

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought GL model at 6 y/o w/70,000 on it. I must say it has always been very reliable. Started up every morning. I don't recall it ever breaking down on me. The engine on this is a monster. For a van, it has great power and pickup. The transmission too, has great power and pickup. My only problem with this van was it's electrical system. My Aerostar had the same exact problem. Must be a Ford thing. Interior lights go on, won''t go off. A short in the steering column makes it ding w/ the key out. I have to punch the steering wheel to make it stop. Side door dummy light stays on for a while after it's closed. But it was a comfort ride w/room to spare. Great for a family of 5.

Interior room, Good suspension. Great for traveling long distances with family, luggage etc. Big gas tank, nice for travel, but not nice on the wallet. Versatile seats, fold every possible way and even are removable. Not hard to do either. At 10 yrs old it's still going with no major problems.

The electrical system is a drag. It definitely would've been better with a second slider door. Ah, but it's all over now as I understand Ford no longer makes minivans.

Oscurito review
By oscurito

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I owned this for 2 and a half years, I have no complaints about this truck. I only did its regular maintenance as oil change, tune ups. The only thing I could complain about is the transmission, it slips a little when you are on the stop and go within the city but once you are on the highway your ride is very smooth!

Cool A/C, 7 passenger seating

Only has three doors, could be beter with four.

Yuck
By scbrenna23

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this car from a owner dealership because my former car had been in an accident. I'm a poor college student (how many are there that aren't, lol) and needed something to get around town. I was looking for cheap and safe. Well, I got the cheap part! This van has been nothing but trouble now that it's about 10 years old. The ABS computer system is malfunctioning which is supposedly supposed to cost 1500 dollars at least! The head gasket is leaking and soon to break. My oil leaks constantly regardless of attempts to fix it. The side sliding door doesn't shut and causes the indoor lights to stay on, (you have to pull the fuse to reset it). It just has issues. I hate this van!

Not really anything except the room

I'm glad they discontinued these, they caused more problems than they were worth. I'll still buy from Ford, but not a van ever again...(by the way I'm getting rid of the van in the next week, lol).