Used 1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

One's enough.
By AD

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

At 135,000 miles developed heat gasket problem and lost the transmission! The cost of repairing the two is more than the value of the vehicle. I'm disppointed. This happened one month after finally paying of the vehicle. I was hoping I'd see another year, at least, before having to worry about serious problems. Now, I've got a real nice "looking" van that isn't worth $300! Rack-and-pinion steering has been bad also; quoted $800+ to repair the steering!

Chose the Windstar because of it's high safety rating. Was comfortable, but would not classify it as a high level of craftsmanship.

Transmissions, head gaskets and rack- and-pinion steering! (And interior lights! Lot of problems where the dome lights refused to go out!

Works for us!
By randt

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

Got the car in 2001 with 32,000 miles on it. It now has 120,000 miles on it and knock wood, no major problems. Twice replaced the brakes, but considering the mileage, can't complain.The same with the tires, replaced all 4..and keep on top of the fluids. The engine light used to be on all the time, but there were no symptoms so the old addage applied..and eventually it went off. We live in a frigid climate, and the car starts each day without a hitch..we have no complaints..and to be honest, I was afraid to buy a Ford.

A big family, we travel A LOT and the car is comfortable.

none..we're happy. (watch the van break down tomorrow after an all A report card!!) knock knock...

Overall A Great Value
By twinsmomof3

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought our van used in 2000(52K miles). It now has 98K miles. We have had one major repair (@ approx. 85K miles)-a sensor on the motor had to be replaced because of hesitating--a few hundred dollars. No problems since then. My only complaints are wind noise from the driver side window and the engine sounds a little like a truck--somewhat noisy. I have three small children in booster seats, and we have PLENTY of room. The 3.8L engine has very adequate power. I have no problem picking up speed to merge into freeway traffic. Even after 98K miles it still performs as well as it did when I bought it--no pinging even with 87 octane gasoline.

Cargo area has enough room for full sized double AND single stroller w/ room left over for groceries!!, good interior layout, good engine performance

body integrity could be improved (wind noise from driver's window), dual sliding doors would be nice

Like our Windstar
By Claude Lafler

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We purchased our van new & have only experienced two minor problems: power door lock malfunction and wiper motor failure. It has been a dependable transporter and family hauler. We have heard of transmission problems on this model so we have the trans serviced every 20k miles & have experienced no problems. A great vehicle with more than adequate power!

Safety, Reliability, comfort & utility.

Reduction of engine noise on acceleation

Nervous Ford owner
By timulator

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

The vehicle has always had an annoying clunk in the front suspension. The power locks started failing at 60k miles and cost $500+ to repair and, 15k later, one of the repaired locks is acting up again. It has been very reliable and has plenty of power and is very comfortable overall. The back seat is a struggle to remove, being so heavy. Storage compartments are pathetic. I'm not a big Ford fan, but I have liked this Windstar so far.

Comfortable seating and ride. Good visibility for such a bulky vehicle.

It needs more/better storage compartments. With all that room, there's hardly a place to stash stuff like gloves, sunglasses, kleenex box, etc. Also the side window defroster could be better.