Used 1998 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Decent people hauler
By DaleH

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

No mechanical problems. Expected some based on reviews. At 85000 still running fine. Always had problems with interior lights staying on after going through car wash. Mechanic said to spray WD40 on contacts. V6 engine has plenty of Power for the mountains in Colorado.

It's a Van, which is great if you have kids and a dog to haul around. Nice to have the power when needed to pass on the highway.

Uncomfortable to be on the gas pedal for long periods of time because of driving position. Could improve

Best Windstar I've owned
By the moores

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This is the second windstar we have owned and overall are very pleased. Engine seems to have more touque than my v-8 tundra. Quite on highway but engine noisey during hard excelleration. A few rattles but a solid ride.

Powerful motor, flawless starting, smooth transmission. Put synthetic atf and wow.

rear air & heat have no climate control. Its all cold or all hot. Electronics leave somthing to be desired.

Worst Purchase Ever
By Krissy254

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

After about two years we started experiencing major promblems. I've had all of the major belts replaced at least four times. Two power steering pumps within 18 months. Two rack and pinions in less than a year!!! Tie rods, gaskets, several recalled parts, I could go on and on. I was informed at the last monthly mechanic visit that in about 5 months my transmission will be shot. As if this isn't bad enough I have a open door sensor that never turns off and the van makes a extremly loud knocking sound every time I turn the wheel. All in all I will never buy another ford.

Only good thing is the interior room.

Too many too list.

my 2 cents
By lisa's mama mobile

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

minimal problems, car still kooks great . exterior paint still looks new. people often remark how well it handles the road & how its a nice quiet smooth drive, runs great !

better gas millage

Great Minivan
By Gerry B

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought our 1998 Windstar GL in early 1999 after being returned from a 1 year lease. I was impressed with the power, roominess, and gas mileage this minivan delivered (about 20-23 mpg). We had a couple of early service issues (replaced front "ball joints" and an early oxygen sensor failure), but otherwise the vehicle perfomed very well. We were sorry to lose this vehicle in a rear end collision, but are impressed enough with this Ford to consider replacing this with another Ford. This time with something smaller and with better gas mileage, with the recent sustained hike in gas prices.

Roominess, gas mileage for size and power of vehicle, ride comfort.

None.