1998 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Geesh, Bought new, No more Fords...
By David R Backus on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle brand new. It never ran right from day one. The car would shake around 70 miles an hour. I kept taking it in to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it. RIGHT! The transmission went out at 84000 miles. The power steering before that at 77000 miles at 2200 and 600 dollars a Pop. Then the brakes siezed up on me. I called Ford but to no avail Basically they said sorry about your luck the warranty expired. I NEVER SAY NEVER, BUT I will not be buying a Ford product again in the near future. I will not recommend Ford to Anyone I care about.Stay away from the WINDBAG!

brakes
By olsen on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

this van has the worst and most costly brakes of any i have ever owned!!!IT WILL KEEP ME FROM PURCHASING ANOTHER FORD!!!!!

The Ford Windstar is a piece of junk
By johnanderson on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

The Ford Windstar is a piece of junk, dont buy one This is the only new car I ever bought and it is the worst car I ever owned. Itís supposed to be 100,000 mi service free 1998 Windstar LX NEW TRANSMISSION AT 75,000 MI Loose computer cables 1st week New battery first 6 months New alternator first 6 months New Serpentine belt at 30kmi New rear shocks at 50kmi 3 sets of tie rods in 65,000 mi New Catalytic converter at 75,000mi 2 new oxygen sensors 2 of 5 power locks donít work All the plastic screws are falling out on the out side And donít even ask about the crappy service department. I left Ford as soon as the warrantee ran out

Windstar Limited
By rrboy on 06/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Limited 3dr Minivan

I've put 101,000 miles on my Windstar Limited and have really enjoyed it. It has all the bells and whistles that luxury cars have and enough leather to wrap them in. It has a powerful engine that has served me well - even on last minute runs from Mass to Fla and back.

Good Value for the Money
By Dr. Gill on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I purchased this vehicle used with 25, 708 miles on it in Oct. 2000. It now has over 69,000 miles and the only things that were replaced were the serpentine belt (@ 30,000 miles), the front brakes and both radiator hoses (@60,000 miles), and a new set of tires (@47,000 miles). All other items consist of fluid changes at the manufacturer's recommendations, with the exception of the engine oil which I change every 3000 miles. Each oil chnage I buy a complete fuel system cleaner ($5), which eliminates the need to have your fuel injectors cleaned.

Unility
By Harold Roberts on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar 3dr Minivan

Like new, low milage

No Way!
By Nevr Again on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Bought this van when it had only 23000 miles on it. The transmission would never shift correctly. Took it to 2 Ford dealers and was told it was normal. Transmission went out on a trip to WV in the mountains...Van had 35,800 miles. Factory warrenty covered it. We now have 54,000 miles on the van and the transmission is slipping again. If you want reliability do not buy this van...Have had numerous smaller items go wrong as well. We'll never own another Windstar.

Great Minivan!!!
By TexMorgan on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We purchased our van new and have owned it for 4 years now. This is a great driving vehicle! Plenty of power and a very smooth ride with decent handling. Good quality materials inside and out. We have had very few maintenance issues other than normal wear/tear items (brake pads/rotors turned twice). Purchased an extended warranty after mfg warranty expired just in case. (Would recommend for anyone buying used) You get alot of vehicle for the money in my opinion. Highly recommend!!

Reliability is poor
By E Texas on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Performs well. Hauls family well. But the reliability is very poor. Had to have the front end rebuilt at 60K. Didn't even get it home from that trip when the transmission went out. Both items were covered under the extended warranty. If you are going to own one of these, the extended warranty is a must.

Kid Hauler
By Tov on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has been to the shop much more than my previous Fords. An A/C leak the dealer can't find has required multiple recharge visits. Weird electronic lock "cycling" while driving has been fixed once but still happens occasionally. Transmission seems a little clumsy, but acceleration unsurpassed. Rear bench seat weighs too much, difficult to take in/out. The 2nd row captains chairs also heavier than they should be. Dual A/C awesome even in Florida summer. Just wish dealers could find the leak.