1998 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
98's safer than new windstar
By Windstar on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We love our WindStar and if you check out the Insurance Institute for Highway safety page you will wonder why anyone drives some of the other vans out there. With the Windstars safety, front and rear Air-Heat controls powerfull 200hp engine and great driveablity its the perfect vehicle. The only negitive; Uniroyal self seal tires were Hydroplaneing so bad at 40000 mile we had to replace them.

Windstar what a true american whould luv
By Adnan on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

once i was in the inside of a 2002 Grand caravan sport(fully equipped) and belive me the windstar was more attractive to costumers at that place

Best car we've ever owned
By drb67 on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Around town and coast to coast, always comfortable and reliable. Excellent for long trips. Have NEVER had to repair anything! Changed oil and filter on schedule, and replaced self-sealing tires at 50,000 miles. Otherwise, expense-free!

ss garbage scow
By hospitalmike on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

bought dealer used 30k w/ extended warranty...all usual problems: tie rods, rear wheel cyl, slider door switch, ac switch covered all before 75k. ignition block, alternator, steering rack, 2 sets pads & rotors, 2nd set rear wheel cyl & drums & shoes. front sub frame rewelded. ABS error code front axle. Rear wiper motor. All repairs by aftermarket(pepboys) or self. Constant maintenance: (belts, hoses, brakes, tires, alignments, wheel balance & rotate, tran fluid & filter, fuel filter, plugs & wires)- all have made van mostely reliable. No head leaks, tranny problems, fuel-water-steering pumps, NO EXHAUST OR RUST PROBLEMS TO DATE 130K!

We still like our Windstar
By smithmga on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

1998 3.8 Windstar - 5 years and 117K miles so far. Oil changed every 5K and the complete evac of trans fluid every 25-30K. New parts: master cylinder and brake booster at 115K (don't know if they were bad but the brakes were still spongy after new pads and shoes and bleeding did not help), four air filters, one fuel filter, one battery, two power steering pumps, three serpentine belts and one tensioner and two radiator flushes. Overall, the van has been excellent. It's powerful, smooth, and roomy. It's great on long trips. I've read a bunch of horror stories about the Windstar, but so far, it's the best car/van out of 20 I've owned.

Beware
By Riv on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

Very poor reliability. Radio has been a major problem. Very expensive to repair/replace (suggest replacement with after market radio). Major problems with motor after 45,000 miles. Service engine light comes on all the time. Continue to take to dealer and its something different each time. Vacuum hoses, oxygen sensors, gasket replacements, front steering suspension problems and recalls. Basically a money pit. Timing Head Cover Gasket and Upper Intake Gasket latest repair, $1,400.

Never Again
By DJTYTY on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this used 29K tranny went at 35K. Had it replaced but the dealer cracked my subframe and power steering case. Said there was nothing wrong went out of bus. Tried anouther said I needed new subframe would not help me with ford. Finally found good service dept and it was not the sub frame but the ty rods. Anyway, the tranny is slipping again the radio does not work. I have a loan so I am stuck since this piece of crap Knock on wood at least it runs. I gave up my toyota for this that car never needed repair other than maint for 100K then I had kids and needed the room.

Don't buy this thing
By Pirate on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Transmission probles all over the place. Ford just kept on saying that it was normal !!! Sold it. Never buying a ford again.

Dont do it!
By walsh03 on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought this van for more room for my wife and the kids that she looks after. Unfortunately, it has been a problem since we got it. It doesnt run well, its loud, we already replaced the transmission amoung other things. Very poor cheap plastics in the construction. Buy a Chrysler, they say the reliability is not that great but it cannot be any worse than this van and at least you get a ride that is a million times better.

Good for big guys
By jakesmastr on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We tried all the makes of mini-vans but this was the only (affordable) one that I fit in. Power is good. Roomy enough for the basic family & pets to go on an extended trip. Lots of cargo space. All around a very practical and sensible vehicle.