Used 1998 Ford Windstar Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Beater still getting it
By Daddy

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

We bought this red wagon new because Mama needed a grocery getter and a young'n hauler. It's been a good machine. A few typical wear-and-tear items: water pump, alternator, a steering rack, brakes. All in all, not bad. Kids have puked in it and chewed holes in the upholstery. Automatic door locks quit working, and we've had some power window issues. Had to unplug the door sensors to keep the lights and bells off when door is closed, but I can fix the small stuff and we put up with the rest. Kids call it the "Beater." But it is paid for and is still kickin'. I keep the oil changed regularly and Mama keeps the interior clean. It's been "Ford tough." No major transmission or engine issues

Favorite Features

Durability, fuel economy, and roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Electronics tend to wear out: door sensors, radio, etc.

Problems with Two Fords so far
By dawn

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

Our fam of 5, often drives from Denver to Spokane. We got the windstar after the trans on our explorer went out in the middle of WY, 100's of miles near nothing in the middle of the night. This week on the van we replaced the R&P, for DIY's this is inexpensive but difficult 100.00. And the power steering pump, a little difficult but inexpensive 60.00. The ABS light goes on and off for no reason. Dome lights don't always turn off, and door ajar stays on. Cruise control went out after it surged to 95, like the throddle got stuck. Shifts really hard. Lots of room for the kids, not much room for baggage in the back. You have to drop the engine to change plugs, wires

Favorite Features

Confortable, roomy for the passengers. Pretty good gas milage on trips. Like that you can take out both rows of seats in the back if you need to. Side pockets in the back for snacks, diapers and toys to keep kids happy. AC.

Suggested Improvements

Wish had a CD player, sterio difficult to change out. And all of the other problems. Hope the Trany doesn't go out on me (since everyone else has that complaint). Paint peeling. Also, there are metric and standard bolts on the engine, sometimes on one part, making it difficult to work on

This van is a piece of junk
By Cocoamosh

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

This van was good for about 3 months and then it went to hell fast. Rack and pinion; power steering pump and struts-they all go together and its costly. I loved my van until about a week ago and got an estimate for repair. No wonder everyone says do not buy a Ford-Found On The Road Dead and some other words I can think of.

Favorite Features

Roomy and the stereo

Suggested Improvements

Quit making them all together

1998 Ford Windstar 3.0 L Passenger Van
By Barry Riordan

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

This van was my company van since new and its been a very reliable vehicle. I bought the vehicle from the company at 148,000 miles and haven't regreted it.The only thing major that went wrong was the fuel tank went bad. The vehicle now has 194,000 miles on it and has the original motor and tranny in it. I change the ATF fluid on a regular basis and also regular oil changes. Motor does not use a drop of oil between changes. Original front brake rotors did have to be replaced at 75,000 miles. We have taken numerous trips in the summer from PA to South Carolina with no problems whatsoever.

Favorite Features

Heating and air conditioning work very well. Fuel economy with the 3.0 liter engine has been very good 22 around town and 27-28 on highway. Very comfortable bucket seats in front. Good power from 3.0 liter engine. Good ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts a lot in and out of overdrive in hilly terrain. Antilock brakes are a little funky in snow ( long stopping distance ) Poor paint quality with light blue color. Paint on roof peeled about the 4th year. Ford would not fix it. I felt they should have. They never offered anything.

Windstar is bad after 50000